Big As MAZ - DONE

RichO

On 9/10/2017 at 1:36 AM, Bullbasket said:

Rich, listen out for that knock at the door.....it's the men in white coats....."they're coming to take me away ha ha".

Seriously though, each time I think you can't get any madder better, you go and do just that. In my opinion, you've surpassed the one that I saw at Saumur, and that was fantastic.

John.

Thanks John,  I'm building this while I'm "resting" at my local mental health facility, LOL.  They'll let me out when the "project" is complete.

And thanks about comparing to the Saumar build. From the photos you shared, that looked like quite the build.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/10/2017 at 1:40 AM, Timmas said:

Let me get this straight; you're building this entirely from plastic sheet, rod, a bit of wire, some mesh and scale resin bolts.

It's insane Rich...completely insane :nah:

That is correct Timmas.  The pile of junk I have left over could build another model.  Maybe I'll show a photo of my junk for you.

Yah, maybe not...

• Like 1

Welcome back my friends...

Hey All,

I have been working on the various fluid tanks for a few days now, and I'm getting backed up with the photos.  Altho the install is not complete, I'll show and tell what's up.

I first built card replicas to get the size and the geometry correct...

IMG_2593_zpsaznk3lzi.jpg

IMG_2594_zpsywldiho9.jpg

IMG_2595_zpswfpt3jjx.jpg

The construction of the tanks was really simple, just small sheet styrene.  Test fit into place.  I was concerned about the angles of the tanks, and running into things next to the engine block.  I managed to get the tanks to sit on the frame and fill the space nicely.

IMG_2596_zpsumoc9yei.jpg

IMG_2597_zpsrngjcxd2.jpg

Four new (old) fluid tanks...

IMG_2598_zpscqyextkk.jpg

The install of the Power Steering fluid tank...

IMG_2600_zpsih5wlwu2.jpg

IMG_2599_zpsrmx14h8j.jpg

The install of the, I have no clue, fluid tank...I know it's there.  I cant find any info so far as to what's inside it.  Oil?

IMG_2602_zpsudcepcho.jpg

IMG_2601_zpsuxtl7xbh.jpg

And here you can get an idea of how crowded things are getting...

IMG_2603_zpslzhf3lhc.jpg

Now that I have all four tanks permanently installed, it's time to plumb all this stuff together.  I'll be back with the plumbing soon.

Thanks All...

• Like 9

1 hour ago, RichO said:

It is a drug Manfred,  and I'm addicted!

Thanks Guys!

At least it is not illegal yet and your build is looking great as one would expect from previous posts  :yes:

beefy

• Like 1

Thanks Guys for the great comments, and for following along.

Hey All...

The build continues at a steady but slow pace.  I have been adding hoses, belts, filters, clamps....

This is the Air Filter assemblies.  Altho I didn't take as many photos during construction of the filters, but here ya go...

The Air Filters have a sort of filter/cooling system that lets the air flow over and around these tubes and everything works well enough.

I had to drill out a lot of little holes to fit the rods into.  The construction of the filters was easy enough, but slow and tedious.

IMG_2605_zpsss1ndveq.jpg

IMG_2606_zps0wz4l1kp.jpg

This is the hole that the Air Filter will fill.  You can also see the added hoses and piping that I have placed around the engine bay.

IMG_2604_zpskhdmrek4.jpg

The Air Filter sits in a cramped space attached to the cab's back wall.  

IMG_2607_zpsszlxkpsk.jpg

Here I have removed the back wall, and the Air Filter is hanging at it's location, and I still have pipes and hoses remaining to install.

IMG_2609_zpsyfho5hxn.jpg

This where I'm at for the end of the day, with plenty still to cram into this ever shrinking space.

IMG_2610_zpsbqnfpgzf.jpg

I have this one side just about done enough to move over to the other side and start the install of the radiators and fans.  I'll be back with a look at the other side, bwahaaaaa..........

• Like 7

Thanks Guys!

Hey All,

Well, I have reached another milestone.  I have finished the Engine Bay.  Or at least until I find more stuff to add, which always seems to show up later.

Not much to write about, just the manual labor of completing all the steps needed to wrap this portion of the build up to date.

The first two photos here, show the port side engine bay under construction...

IMG_2612_zpswwlivoqx.jpg

IMG_2611_zpspg3uxgie.jpg

The rest of the build for this section involved removing items that were already installed, to fit the new items, and then reinstalling everything.  I have added some minor dirt and grease, but I will paint a bigger mess later.

In no order at all...

IMG_2614_zps4k1q7ijn.jpg

IMG_2617_zps7tb7s2ri.jpg

IMG_2615_zpsoibj2e69.jpg

IMG_2613_zpsfgcztkvd.jpg

IMG_2616_zpsdcybbmwf.jpg

The Engine Bay has been a three or four month adventure, and like the rest of this build, I'm sure I'll find more junk to add to this section later on.

But for now, it's time to move on, with the first tentative steps of the sheet metal body work.  To be honest, I have been somewhat apprehensive about starting the body work.  I'll have a certain learning curve to get a grip on bending sheets into complex compound curves.

I'll be back later with something to show, having to do with the sheet metal work.

Thanks All, I'll be back later.........

• Like 11

It keeps getting harder to believe that we have been able to see all components scratch built before our very own eyes. It's an amazing project so far and the rest of the journey will undoubtedly prove to be equaly

entertaining.

:yes:

• Like 2