Big As MAZ - DONE

RichO

I only found this thread last night and sat up half the night reading it.

In all my years (and I'm no spring chicken as can be seen) I've never seen anything quite like it. RichO, your building/modelling skills are unbelievable and if I didn't already know otherwise, I'd swear I was looking at the real thing.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot you guys!!  You're great with the comments. 

The build continues with the Radiator cage, (photos soon).

Timmas,  Thanks for spending the time to get caught up with the thread.  I'm glad you found it, and now hang in there, while I struggle along with the rest of the build.

Manfred,  I do have the patterns for the low loader and the Bat-M.  However when I started this build I had no plans to build all three parts.  Just the Tractor.  At this scale the low loader would be about 3 feet long.

Thanks All

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

So while I was building the Water Radiators I realized that I can't install these without installing the Fuel Tanks...at the same time.  I have fuel lines that run between the radiators and the engine block that need to be installed before I close up the engine bay to the radiators.

Fuel Tanks first then.

I have already built the Fuel Tanks, So on with the paint and some grunge.

Rusted fuel tanks with Russian Green over...

IMG_2582_zpsvipgn5dl.jpg

Rusted Fuel Tanks with Russian Green under, Banner Red over...

IMG_2585_zpsvx4rl9mh.jpg

IMG_2586_zpsak4r7zpo.jpg

fit into place to check clearance...

IMG_2583_zpsmlmv3ro7.jpg

IMG_2584_zpsip39av1g.jpg

I now have the engine installed and secured, along with the radiator cage.  I can now install the fuel tanks, after a bit of scrubbing to get the salt off, and get the fuel lines run into place.

I also have a few more tanks to install between the radiators and the main frame.  I'll be back shortly with info on the fuel lines and the other tanks to install.

Bye-Bye...

• Like 9

Wonderful stuff. I guess you're saving a whole model shot for the big reveal, but some of us lowly observers might need to be spoon fed a few pics early - if only to help lessen the withdrawal when it is all over and you move back to the 1:72 Saturn V stack... :) 

Kirk

• Like 1

Hey Kirk,  I haven't heard from you in a while!  I heard that the Saturn V tower is now finished and moving to the beta build fase.  Over 20,000 parts to build.

Check out the last posting on page 16 here, for an overall view of the truck build.  Betty would love it.  

• Like 1

Hey Everyone,

The building of the Water Radiators is still on going, but this is what I have so far.

I have several steps to get these installed.  Building the radiators, then the fans and pulleys, then the plumbing, then...

Everything is going fine but slow.  The fitting of the Radiator Cage...

IMG_2569_zpszizmrsty.jpg

I have the cage painted and installed and secured for the mounting of the radiators. Now I just have to build everything...

The Water Radiators...

IMG_2571_zps5fa9csff.jpg

IMG_2572_zpsiucquyrc.jpg

A lot of bolts...

IMG_2573_zpsnzooalmv.jpg

IMG_2574_zpseehnp8f9.jpg

All painted up, clean for now...

IMG_2577_zpsw8e3radl.jpg

The test fit...

IMG_2578_zpsqnqj7vjz.jpg

IMG_2592_zpsmg4rgtkk.jpg

I'm just slightly ahead of the photos, on the build.  Today I will belt the fans and pulleys, and get everything ready for final install.  Then more plumbing.

Be Back Soon....

• Like 12

5 hours ago, roma847 said:

How big or small are the bolts? denknf8.gif

Hey Manfred,   The bolts that are in the top of the Radiators are just 1mm.  I had to drill a lot of .06 holes to mount the bolts.  Just the radiators have eaten up an entire bag of bolts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RichO said:

Manfred,  Actually it's 0.6mm drill bits to fit the shaft of the bolts.  The heads are 1mm.

Hi Rich,

have you a link to the seller of this stuff? denknf8.gif

BTW, why you did not use the Nuts and Bolts by Meng Models, then you would not have to drill? 

Manfred,

The name of the seller of the nuts and bolts I use is MasterClub models.  I get these on Ebay once in a while in emergency, or I order them straight from St. Petersburg, Russia

The reason I use the MasterClub first, in my build, is because these are so easy to use, and the casting is better than Meng, much sharper and cleaner, and I just like using these better.  I do use the Meng bolts, but only when I can not reach the space to drill, or I have run out of MasterClub bolts. 

The small drill bits can be gotten just about anyware.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 8:51 PM, longshanks said:

Micro engineering at its best

I wouldn't want your plastics bill for the month

Kev

Thanks Kev,  I try to anticipate as much as possible how much plastic I will use for a project.  I try to get all my stuff together before I start so I don't spend very much at all during the construction.  A large layout to start but next to nothing during the build.

Except I didn't quite count on how many frikin' bolts there would be on this build and I have had to order a couple of times.

Rich

• Haha 1

Hey All,

The build goes at an ok pace.  Things will slow down a tad, football season starts for my local team today, so Sundays are shot for building.

Today's report is on the water cooling Fans.  

These were a little complicated to build, but once I got it...also I didn't take as many photos as I should have.

The parts...

IMG_2576_zpsip9tnoh1.jpg

The first blade.  I had eight blades to mount.  This was really easy.  I just mounted the blades opposite each other to keep the spacing even and all went well.

IMG_2579_zpswm0ycehj.jpg

IMG_2580_zpsbbof1ghu.jpg

Things look like they fit well...

IMG_2581_zpsgd6p7bki.jpg

I had a bunch of plastic washers to make for the Pulleys...

IMG_2587_zps0yay07gw.jpg

IMG_2591_zpsgo1bruga.jpg

Test fit...

IMG_2590_zpsgecvomjb.jpg

IMG_2592_zpsmg4rgtkk.jpg

The construction of the Water radiators and the Cooling Fan system are now complete.  I need to wait a bit to install these because I need to install the fluid tanks first.

I'll be back shortly with the install of the fluid tanks...

Thanks, Bye...

• Like 9

It's early Sunday morning. 

The house is quiet, dog asleep at my feet.

I'm trying to drink a wake up cup of green tea,

but my jaw keeps dropping (AGAIN!). 

Rich, have a great day, and, If this takes 'till Christmas

then I'll be a happy chap as it's so enjoyable.

• Like 1

Rich, listen out for that knock at the door.....it's the men in white coats....."they're coming to take me away ha ha".

Seriously though, each time I think you can't get any madder better, you go and do just that. In my opinion, you've surpassed the one that I saw at Saumur, and that was fantastic.

John.

• Like 1