Big As MAZ - DONE

RichO

Hey Kev,  You Got It.

In the photo with all the holes drilled into it, I simply cut to connect the holes to make the depressions.  I used a 0.25 sheet to back the cuts.  I only glued the end panels to the wood blocks ( mix white and super glues) and clamp till dry.  The styrene shell is simply wrapped around the wood not glued.  Only the edges of the sheets are glued to the end pieces.

When everything was secured and all the edges glued, I then went back with a brush and some plastic weld and melted the depressions together with the 0.25 backer to soften the edges of the cuts.

I hope that makes some sense to you.

• Thanks 1

Thanks All for your kind comments.  Sorry that it takes me so long to respond sometimes.

Hey Everyone,

A short report for today.

It's been a week or so, of running out of supplies, and brand new techniques, that didn't work out so well, and attempting things I've never done before.

I started with the Winch this week, and progress has been slow.  Trying to figure out how to build gears from styrene was a no go.

I tried to cut the gears by hand, and it really looked like it.  I tried to cut gears with a file, not good.  I tried tracing around a gear pattern....no.

I took a day or so, and then I thought, (which I don't usually do, because I just get into trouble), screw all this trying to build gears, I just went to my local RC shop and bought a bag or two of plastic gears for model airplanes.  Problem solved.

The parts for the cable guides... you can see the pile of gears I had to choose from.  I just went with gears that fit the space and were the same diameter that I needed. 

IMG_2489_zpszzhxjzg8.jpg

The Transfer Case...

IMG_2488_zpsvdf6vd2x.jpg

The Cable Guides...

IMG_2491_zpshigokm62.jpg

As of today I have managed to build just the Transfer Case and the Cable Guides.  I think the gears turned out just fine for this scale, and once I paint these and get everything weathered and worn they are going to look fine right were they are.

IMG_2493_zpslbob3pgr.jpg

The Cable Spool is next to build along with the two Cable Guides.  Then of course I have to spool the cable around everything.  Not looking forward to that.

Bye Bye

• Like 13

Great work as usual always like to follow this build because I can always pick up some great tips to help with most of my builds or something similar  :yes:

beefy

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RichO said:

I just went to my local RC shop and bought a bag or two of plastic gears for model airplanes.  Problem solved.

while scratch building is a hobby, sometimes you get just as good a feeling by re-purposing something else.  Nice solution

• Like 1

Hey Guys,   My internet just came back on after a few day off.

Thank you,  everybody that has stopped to take a look at this build.

And Thanks All, for leaving these great comments,  I'll be posting again soon.

• Like 2

Hey All,

I've had a real fun time here lately. Our local cable co. has updated their stuff and given us new equipment for the house. Nothing works quite right just yet so posting will be odd for a while.

I have worked out all the aspects for the Winch and finally got the thing strung up by the cable.  I still have to weather and install on to the frame, but at a good stopping point for now.

Parts...

IMG_2496_zpsilkkygjl.jpg

IMG_2494_zpskbd3qvee.jpg

Components... 

IMG_2497_zpssgpmhhyo.jpg

IMG_2495_zpss3ussjwt.jpg

Starting the stringing process...

IMG_2499_zpsvgjz97ja.jpg

A new Winch..

IMG_2500_zps68mjqmw8.jpg

I now have to take some time to clean up the frame to accept the components.  I have discovered that while I have been working on all the sub assemblies, that the frame has become a dust magnet and is need of serious cleaning before I start to mount the components.  I'll have to make a clean shelter for it later.

I'll post each mounting separatley so you can see all the various hook ups.

Later Betty Dudes.

• Like 8

Thanks for checking in Guys!  

I have Betty striped down to just her skinny frame and starting the cleaning today.  I should be able to start the mounting process and get some photos this afternoon.

Stay Tuned!

P.S.  Richard,  I found a .054 mm cable to use.  Actually it's beading wire from jewelry making supplies my wife had laying around.

2 hours ago, RichO said:

Thanks for checking in Guys!  

I have Betty striped down to just her skinny frame and starting the cleaning today.  I should be able to start the mounting process and get some photos this afternoon.

Stay Tuned!

P.S.  Richard,  I found a .054 mm cable to use.  Actually it's beading wire from jewelry making supplies my wife had laying around.

Hey Rich,

if I compare the wire and the cutter in this image,

IMG_2499_zpsvgjz97ja.jpg

then I think you mean 0,54 mm, right? :hmmm:

Manfred,  The glue I use is "The Original Superglue".  I don't know the "liquid" thin, thick, medium, ?  I buy little tubes by the bucket loads at the dollar store, because I go through gallons of the stuff.

Hey All,

A quick up date...

A last look at the inside of the frame as I start covering all this up.

IMG_2509_zpsh1iyflzz.jpg

IMG_2507_zps2rofr5bn.jpg

IMG_2504_zpscyhrinhl.jpg

IMG_2508_zps26dntsnk.jpg

I'll cover all this up starting with the Tool Box...

IMG_2510_zps7muksjvn.jpg

I'll be back with the install of the Tool Box and the mounting to the frame.

Later...

• Like 3