Big As MAZ - DONE

RichO

Thanks Guys!

John,  I've already been taken away, in my head.  I'm sure you can tell by me even starting this project.  What was I thinking?

• Like 1

Just caught up on this Rich. Scratch building at its best! Love the rust effect you have achieved on the frame.

Having followed your crawler build looking forward to this one unfolding.:popcorn:

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks Everyone for following along.

Hey,

This is starting to get a bit fidgety.  I have only managed to build the support frame for the water radiators.  I wanted to get an idea of the size and location of things as I build.  

The Radiator rack is a flimsy frame that supports the water radiators and cages the engine.  I got so involved with building this and doing the measerments as I went along, that I managed to get just one photo under construction.

IMG_2401_zpskw01okjs.jpg

I did build a very basic engine place holder.  I think this will be the engines bottom end.  All placed on the frame so I can see what is actually going on.

IMG_2404_zps2jigvwmr.jpg

IMG_2407_zpsynckhln7.jpg

IMG_2408_zpspjtdr8xx.jpg

IMG_2409_zpslgzxgtgn.jpg

The Engine build continues.

Thanks All...

• Like 7

Rich O said.............

" OMG, I have finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side, there's nothing right, and on the right side, there's nothing left. "

:rofl:

Just noticed this, Says it all for all of us I suspect !

Kev

• Like 2

Thanks Guys.

hendie,  the chunks are getting bigger!

Hey Guys,

Slightly slower build this week so far.  I have managed to get the heads onto the engine block.

The heads are basic rectangles, to size and mounted on top of the bottom end of the engine (if that makes sense).  This is the final basic engine.  Now I have to build all the details that are mounted to this .  I have to pay the devil his dues, because that's were the details are.

IMG_2412_zpsq4zgpx6d.jpg

IMG_2411_zpstvfcr0jd.jpg

IMG_2413_zps1hz1tths.jpg

I'll be back with more details soon.

Thanks, Rich

• Like 5

This is the right scale for all these screws, I hope you have ordered a bathful of it. up035091.gif

But be careful not to tighten them too tightly! nono.gif What wrench width is it? 

BTW, the thing looks like standing on the car cemetery. speak_cool.gif

Hey Manfred,

I did have to order a ton of these, and I just placed a new order.  Also I try not to over tighten the bolts, however I do not have a torque wrench, just a plumbers wrench...

IMG_2414_zpsutu54swv.jpg

And the idea of the Maz standing in a car cemetery, is just about the effect I'm trying to achieve.  Thanks for saying so.

• Like 6

Thanks Guys,  

On 6/22/2017 at 10:45 PM, Gremlin56 said:

Lovely progress, that will be a whopping great engine.

Hey Gremlin,  It's starting to get some size to it now...

Hey All,

I have finished building the Valve Covers.  I only had two of these to build but I spent a week building 'em.  I added some more details to the engine block and the engine bottom side.  All this new stuff is small, so things took a bit of time to get right.

A quick look at the bottom side of the engine block.  The flat drain pan for the oil.

IMG_2421_zpslh1kfdiw.jpg

Working on the block.  I have added all the bolts,  the stiffening fins between the bolts, and the ratchet grooves for the bolts.  To be continued...

IMG_2416_zpsfgrn7ouy.jpg

The valve covers were a pain...a lot of small stuff.  I try to do all the boring stuff first when I start manufacturing new parts.

IMG_2415_zpsvvkr2h9b.jpg

I built the valve cover base, by rapping styrene around a wood shape.

IMG_2417_zps995kxh70.jpg

Beginning the bolt down process.

IMG_2419_zpsdpvnddtg.jpg

The maintenance covers...

IMG_2420_zpsmaybwkkz.jpg

What a bunch of bull "this"...

IMG_2423_zpsisi1gkvt.jpg

IMG_2425_zpsef6s5rwp.jpg

I next have have to detail the Heads, and some more details on the block.

Thanks for looking All.  Later

• Like 11

Hello Everyone, thanks for following along.

Today's report is a report about random stuff.  I have a few mini builds to do that attach to the engine block, so I'm just randomly choosing things to build.

I have added more details to the engine block itself and started with the added exterior components.  I can build individual components to add to the block later, but it's just about time to paint the main block.  If I add anything I need to have the background all painted and weathered before I do the add on's.  However, plenty of more small stuff to build and add.

A few more items added to the block, both ends...front...

IMG_2428_zpsyzoimxig.jpg

IMG_2426_zpscp4abhln.jpg

Back end...

IMG_2427_zpsvw8sxxdv.jpg

As I'm randomly building the add on's. I'm starting with items that are located on the block directly.  I need to get the engine block painted so all is finished behind the added components.

With that in mind,  I started with the Distributor.  

af25fd9d15.jpg

You can see the distributor at the front end here.  I had to build this with all the little bolts and leads in a small circular pattern and find some easily bendable wire for the leads.  

I used a soft solder wire to make these, however I might redo the wires if i can find something thinner.  But for now I'll keep things as is.

After I cut the styrene into the small circles that I needed, I next had to tap the holes for the 12 bolts.  Then I used the solder wire and flattened the ends and drilled holes to match the plastic.  After cleaning up the ends of the wires I mounted the bolts through the wire and then through the plastic and secured everything into place...

IMG_2429_zpsfkia3vpv.jpg

IMG_2430_zpsxqxhm8ux.jpg

In this photo you can see I have bent the wiring into place and I have also added the Injector sockets onto the top.

IMG_2432_zpsskprgh4m.jpg

I have also started with the fresh air intake manifold, added to the top.  Just placed for now...

IMG_2433_zpsmauxdpev.jpg

I have so many random items to add that, as you can see, I'm just picking whatever to build.

Until next time..

RichO

• Like 8

:wtf: A 12 legged arachnid!

I don't know how it is on your side of the pond, but in the UK, you used to be able to buy packs of fuse wire that would contain 5, 10, 15 and 30 amp fuse wire which would have been ideal for the job. It is getting harder to find nowadays.

John.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2017 at 7:51 AM, Bullbasket said:

:wtf: A 12 legged arachnid!

I don't know how it is on your side of the pond, but in the UK, you used to be able to buy packs of fuse wire that would contain 5, 10, 15 and 30 amp fuse wire which would have been ideal for the job. It is getting harder to find nowadays.

John.

Haven't seen them since Woolworths closed down. All circuit breakers now...

• Like 1