Big As MAZ - DONE

RichO

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kev !

Hey Everyone,

It's been a rough 10 days or so with this build.  I finally managed to get the bottom end of the Drive Train installed.  Because all of this is at the bottom of the frame, I had to finish each piece before I installed.  The way I work makes this a some what slower process...anyway.

The first parts to be painted and ready for install was the little side mounts for the bracing.  I thought it would be easier to paint as I went along down the frame....

IMG_2117_zpsd4yfnhr6.jpg

IMG_2126_zps5u3qjke5.jpg

I found some paint that said it was a "hammered metal" finish, that I thought would look cool under all the grime I was planning to add.  Good idea, bad results.  The paint turned out to be a sort of glitter paint, that a cheep date would wear as finger nail polish.

IMG_2118_zps0q5xy1qc.jpg

IMG_2119_zpsr4xwz7bn.jpg

I re-sprayed with a light grey color and all looked ok for what I was going to do.

IMG_2121_zpsdywdfjni.jpg

I did my pin washes, and stains before I set into the final position...

IMG_2125_zpst7ggl36e.jpg

Now all I had to do is march right down the line and paint and stain as I go...

IMG_2127_zpsrbsgdpjp.jpg

IMG_2129_zpsb9oukmjt.jpg

IMG_2134_zpshy5qfj5j.jpg

IMG_2132_zpsvmvvhd2c.jpg

IMG_2133_zpsegfz7eac.jpg

IMG_2131_zpsnnmu4n6h.jpg

IMG_2128_zpsn9oa65sm.jpg

All the inside of the frame still needs a bit of staining and powders, but I have been looking at this for to long.  I'll add a bit more later...

I have been playing around with the wheels and tires while I have been waiting for supplies.  I'm just about ready to try casting the tires.  I'll show ya.

Bye for now...Rich

• Like 10

Thanks Guys!

A very small update today.

I have installed the lateral cross braces that stiffen the frame.  I built the braces way back when I was putting the frame together. These braces are on the top side of the frame and I needed to install the drive line first before installing these. These are simple cross members made of styrene rod.

IMG_2136_zpsjaeppzha.jpg

This is just a bunch of photos of the drive line close up...I think I'm about done with the ageing of the inside of the frame...

IMG_2138_zpsnwaa5s4d.jpg

IMG_2140_zpskxwsknis.jpg

IMG_2141_zpspf2spdc1.jpg

IMG_2139_zps0dmhqc1b.jpg

IMG_2142_zpszmaefyzv.jpg

IMG_2143_zpscakxtbu9.jpg

IMG_2144_zpsgyriahll.jpg

I have started the construction of the Axle "U" joints.  I have eight drive axles to build, and the u-joints look to be a bit much...

On another front...I had to order more legos for the tire molds.  The tires where a bit overwhelming for the few legos that I was using to build the dam around the tire.  Thinking ahead a bit, it's time to get to back to the suspension.  I'm feeling a need to get the old girl up and on her feet.

Be Back Later...

Rich

• Like 8

Thanks Guys for your nice comments.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Steve, thanks for the "dragged out of the tundra" comment.  It's just what I'm trying to render.

Hey All,

I have finished with the drive axles.  These little things took a bit of time to build.  The nature of the parts were that I produced each one at a time.  Just a lot of filing and finishing. And don't ya know, when I installed these, they can't really be seen...

The parts...

IMG_2149_zpshmafjow8.jpg

Eight new Drive Axles...

IMG_2150_zpstgkqz9vf.jpg

IMG_2151_zpscu6q5fyt.jpg

Once I got these installed, a person barley notices 'em...

IMG_2153_zpsmtvpognt.jpg

IMG_2154_zpsbegftsmf.jpg

So that's the current state of affares with the frame ...On a different front...

I attempted my first mold for the tires...I poured the rubber at 1:00 in the afternoon.  I went to bed at around 9 pm.  During that time all looked well with the mold, no leaks and all the rubber was still in the mold.

I got up in the morning...

IMG_2147_zpsbr5mo5bu.jpg

IMG_2148_zps0uxfswh1.jpg

It took me about an hour to clean up the mess...I ended up with this...

IMG_2145_zpsiagbyofd.jpg

I spray varnished the heck out of the original, to the point that the rubber came off with some mineral spirits.  It took a bit of time to clean, but I'm ready for round two.

More photos to come...

Rich

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, RichO said:

a person barley notices 'em...

Ah! But we know they are there ......

19 minutes ago, RichO said:

It took me about an hour to clean up the mess...

That looks to be a right bu**er

Kev

• Like 1

"That looks to be a right bu**er"      Alright Kev, I'm American.  I don't speak English.  I have no clue what you just said.  But thanks for hangin' in there with this build.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichO said:

I'm American.  I don't speak English

:rofl:

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Love it Steve, still laughing now................

:rofl:  :clap2:

2 hours ago, RichO said:

But thanks for hangin' in there with this build.

I am here for the journey, it's great watching you with each sub-assembly

Kev

• Like 2

Good one Bar Side!  

Steve,  I also have no clue about GGs.  You guys just start talking together and it goes right over my head.  And Bu**er is a swear word???  I was doing a sing along with Monty P. and didn't know I was swearing??  English Slang Dictionary time...

• Like 3

Richard,

Yes I believe that the rubber was to old.  At least 6 months old, and the catalyst was that old also.  I had company over this weekend so no modeling for a few days now.  The new molds on Monday.  I'll post what happens with the new mold.

Rich

Hey Guys,

So I got some new material for round two of casting the tires.  I didn't get to work on the build over the weekend, but yesterday and today I have built the wheel.  Well half a wheel anyway.

IMG_2156_zpsxkbptqja.jpg

IMG_2162_zps7doocnf9.jpg

IMG_2163_zpsiawfqmxh.jpg

IMG_2164_zpsqykjemcm.jpg

IMG_2165_zpseak4z9sj.jpg

IMG_2166_zps5os53in3.jpg

Be back with round two...

Later, Rich

• Like 6