Big As MAZ - DONE

RichO

:like: WOW!!! this is incredible.  I am absolutely gobsmacked at the details in this build! 

Do you have a link to where you downloaded the paper kit from? ( the one mentioned on the first post )

Aside from that just WOW again! I'm going to be watching this one like a hawk :D

Cheers!

Chris

• Like 1

t3rror,

Thanks for looking at my build.  You can get the Model-Kom kit as a download.  Model-Kom.pl. About $25.00 American.

The e63 model kit, can be had at e63.com. Enrico has the kit for free, but I sent a donation to help him out a bit.

Both of these kits are super detailed and have close to 10,000 parts. Could take years to build.  Good Luck

Rich

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

Back working on the MAZ.  The DIO project is a lot of fun and has eaten up a bit of time recently.

I left off with needing to build the four differentials for the drive line.  These little things have turned out to be a nightmare to figure out the geometry and how to go about rendering this thing.

I have had a miserable time trying to find photos of anything down inside the frame of the beast.  The best reference I have believe it or don't, is the plastic part that Trumpeter has produced for the MAZ kit.

The card reference was somewhat simplified in its design.  I ended up using the card pattern for the parts and just sort of made stuff up as I went as to the final shape.

This is the card reference and the Trumpeter kit part...

IMG_2086_zpsewnsinvd.jpg

The parts for the eight U-joint end mounts...

IMG_2080_zpsyehgz476.jpg

This is those part mounted together...

IMG_2081_zpseu4iplbu.jpg

I next had to come up with some sort of spacer...

IMG_2082_zpsfagebzw4.jpg

Looks like it might work...

IMG_2083_zps2adjjzgt.jpg

This is about half of what I need for one differential. I have to finish building this one unit, then one more with this pattern.  I have to flip the patterns for two more the opposite direction.

IMG_2085_zpsatmubfwr.jpg

IMG_2084_zpsctqvcs03.jpg

Be Back Later...

• Like 9

Hey Guys,

The construction of the four Differentials is now complete.  These little things where a pain to build.

To finish this part of the build I had to complete the Drive Shaft Input Collar.  I first cut parts from a large straw that I found.  It just happened to be the right diameter.

IMG_2088_zpsbec8hu7s.jpg

IMG_2089_zpswlayl7zg.jpg

Once I got the collar mounted, I had to build the Connection Flange...

IMG_2090_zpsepd53bgi.jpg

Once I had that mounted into place, I mounted the side Axle Mounts.

IMG_2087_zpsxshplmpd.jpg

IMG_2092_zpss2t2knvd.jpg

The last thing to do for these items is to bolt everything together, and primer.  Four new Differentials...

IMG_2094_zpsf7mjk4sk.jpg

IMG_2093_zpsfrysfgis.jpg

I'm not sure why these little things were such a pain to build, but I managed to struggle through.  Next up to build are the mounting collars that hold all this to the frame.  These are not to complicated to build, but have to be custom build for each location.  I have already build the two for the Transfer Case.  I now have four more to build to hold each of the Differentials.  These mounting collars also hold up the Gear Boxes that I have already built.

I'll be back with the construction of the mounting collars...

Rich

• Like 10

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

:clap:

I don't know how you do it.................

Amazing work

Kev

A tribute from a master modeller to a master modeller. Ken's question could apply equally to himself & his MGB build. :)

Steve

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 3

Hey All,

The construction of the mounting supports for the Drive Train is finished, and now it's time to move on a bit.  But first...

The mounting supports are the pieces of hardware that secures the drive train to the frame.  This consists of four supports along the frame to suspend the drive line and keep all the components centered and secure.

The red arrows point to one of the four.  You can see that this support has several parts, but is basic nuts and bolts.

IMG_2096-2_zpsl0xazl9f.jpg

However the Model-Kom parts are extremely basic in shape... I sketched a quick plan of the parts I will build, more like the top photo...

IMG_2095_zpseloxabhc.jpg

Cutting the parts and starting to add the details...

IMG_2097_zps96ds3n6o.jpg

IMG_2098_zpsdtgbsmqf.jpg

At this point,  I found a photo from a Ukraine junk yard that showed, I still have some more details to add to the individual components.

I have to go back and add a fill tube for oil to the two gear boxes along with two drain plugs.  I also have to add fill plugs, drain plugs, lifting/rigging eyes...a bunch of small items that I missed the first time through to the differentials...but all the work is starting to look like a complex motivation system...

IMG_2100_zpsmgm8emvc.jpg

IMG_2102_zpsorjntyht.jpg

IMG_2101_zpsea5cr1un.jpg

I will now add the missing details and then it's off to the Drive Shafts.  I have five to build,  all different lengths.

That's it for now,  be back soon.....Thanks All

Rich

• Like 8

1 hour ago, RichO said:

I have to go back and add a fill tube for oil to the two gear boxes along with two drain plugs

What grade oil will be using? :winkgrin:

It would be scary if you were ever to add up the number of components going into this build....

Kev

• Like 1

Hey Kev,

This particular rendering should have over 10,000 parts to build, and so many components that I sure can't build everything.  But it's fun trying.

4 hours ago, RichO said:

This particular rendering should have over 10,000 parts to build, and so many components that I sure can't build everything.

LOL you're not going to run out of something to do anytime soon...............

At least it keeps us entertained :thumbsup:

Kev

• Like 1

Just read through this WIP.  Wow - Tour de Force stuff.  I checked out your Crawler which is just awesome.

I admire your attention span for keeping going over such long periods with such attention to detail.

Remarkable :cool:

Rob

• Like 1

On 2/23/2017 at 2:28 PM, robgizlu said:

Just read through this WIP.  Wow - Tour de Force stuff.  I checked out your Crawler which is just awesome.

I admire your attention span for keeping going over such long periods with such attention to detail.

Remarkable :cool:

Rob

Rob,  Thanks for checking out the crawler build.  The Maz dosen't have as many parts to work with, so this build shouldn't take as long, I hope.

Hey All,

The drive lines I needed to build were a bit on the fiddly side, a bit.  You already know about this build, a bunch of small parts 20 time each or so...

I first should show Pete the building of the Mounting Collars.  Altho not all the parts are quite ready to be added to the build just yet, the parts for show are really simple and not to difficult to figure out.

The frame mounts are the triangle parts the are riveted to the frame.  The model only needed a few parts...I added the little mounting shelf to more match my ref photo.

IMG_2098_zpsdtgbsmqf.jpg

Next, to make the collar, I cut a small section of my soda straw.  I cut a simple ring to match the inside radios, and a bit larger on the outside to get a nice "lip" around the edges.

IMG_2099_zpsrc2agggz.jpg

Once I had my rings mounted to the straw, a small bridge to span the gap to finish the lip and a couple of Meng bolts...IMG_2103_zpssj6xqfld.jpg

To finish the construction of the Mounting Collars I still need to build the arms that link the collar to the triangle mounts.  I have painting and other things to mount before I can do thet tho.

The next thing was to start the tedious process of getting all this mounted together and ready to drop into the frame.  The parts for the drive shafts not to small for me to work with.  Again, a few repetitious numbers....

IMG_2111_zpsmix324ut.jpg

IMG_2109_zpscbnodrfl.jpg

To break up the numbers a bit I built the drive lines one at a time and did a primary install.  This next photo is one of the Gear Boxes, mounted to the Differential, with the spacer and Mounting Collar in the middle.  I have added the first Drive Shaft to the Gear Box...

IMG_2105_zpsbjesxkyz.jpg

IMG_2104_zpsda8m9rmr.jpg

The construction of the rest of the drive lines is the same, just different lengths.  I mounted all of this as provisionally I as could and still keep things together for the photos. 

In no special order...

IMG_2114_zpscdeb5liz.jpg

IMG_2116_zpszo9lmhw3.jpg

IMG_2115_zpsnxr91tn0.jpg

IMG_2113_zpsbx0zujml.jpg

I still have a ways to go just to get whats in the photos really secure and solid before I can glue it down.  This all fell apart for its photo session at least once..

Thats it for now, I have to secure all of this.  Be back later.  Stay Tuned.

Rich

• Like 4