Queen Mary 2 Hull Colour

pittnuma

Hi guys n Girls,

Quick query, what colour is the nearest match in acrylic for the QM2?

I am doing the Revell 1/400 QM2, the colours call for 75% Matt 83 (Rust) + 25% Ferrari red 34 however I really dislike spraying "hot" paints, anybody know if Tamiya or Model Air etc do similar?

Probably hot is not the correct definition, I don't like spraying enamels all I use them for is for small parts (cockpit switches mostly).

The aqua paints don't get very good reviews unfortunately for spraying.

Edited by pittnuma

An interesting point about Cunard's colours is that the ships hull, above the waterline, is actually a very dark grey rather than black and looked close to Vallejo's 71056 Black Grey. Probably after a coat of Klear over the black grey would give that almost black look. That is the intention I have for my model when I start it but I shall do some tests on scrap plastic beforehand.

Mike

HHHmmm-mm not convinced - she definitely looked to have a navy blue tinge, in real life last May. Wonder what the official colour is ? International certainly does the antifouling http://www.international-marine.com/newsmedia/cunard-confirms-efficiency-improvements-with-intersleek-900.aspx Hope that helps with the red too :-)

QM2_07828cr2.jpg

Edited by clipper

I was of the same opinion, in fact I've done a couple of models of Cunarders with deep blue hulls. My comment was made because I noticed it as I was walking onboard from the terminal. Fully expecting a bluish hull I was surprised to see this black-grey effect which my wife agreed when I pointed it out to her. I do think also that there is an effect of sea reflection when viewing the vessel from a distance; but being within 10 feet of the hull I didn't get that reflective effect. I should have taken a photo but my hands were full at the time although here is a similar view to what I mean - note that the hull is black grey but turns blueish at the midships as a result of reflection from the sea. I shall step back from the discussion now, as I don't wish to cause any discrepancy over colours; there's enough of that in the aviation threads.

Cheers

Mike

• 4 months later...

Further to the QM2 hull colours.

She's had various slight variations during her career - but after discussion on a Cunard group - all sorts of ideas navy blue/through greys to black - but the official colour is CUNARD FEDERAL GRAY. And I see from my Airfix 1:600 kit instructions, the equivalent in Humbrol is Matt Navy Blue M77 & SATIN COAL BLACK at 10:1. I don't know if that 'Federal' bit is from the U.S. paint specs here http://www.fed-std-595.com/FS-595-Paint-Spec.html

Cunard's official scheme is black/red/white.

I've been on QE2 5 times and Queen Elizabeth once.

Not the Mary, but they all use the same colours, except on the interior decor.

Definitely satin black, but bear in mind the fading effect of the sun over a few years in the sea.

When we were on Elizabeth a few years ago, a few bits were getting a 'touch up' near the waterline.

Absolutely jet black.

The surrounding paint was lighter - a very dark grey/black obviously due to fading.

I think the 'blue' effect is water reflection.

Have a look here at Cunard's own literature - page 14 - it states Pantone process black:

http://www.cunardguidelines.com/downloads/Cunard_Guidelines_USA.pdf

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Further to the QM2 hull colours.

She's had various slight variations during her career - but after discussion on a Cunard group - all sorts of ideas navy blue/through greys to black - but the official colour is CUNARD FEDERAL GRAY. And I see from my Airfix 1:600 kit instructions, the equivalent in Humbrol is Matt Navy Blue M77 & SATIN COAL BLACK at 10:1. I don't know if that 'Federal' bit is from the U.S. paint specs here http://www.fed-std-595.com/FS-595-Paint-Spec.html

Sorry - wrong. The official colour is black.

Look at Cunard's official specs here - page 14 - Process black:

http://www.cunardguidelines.com/downloads/Cunard_Guidelines_USA.pdf

I'm inclined to believe Cunards own specs...

Edited by roymattblack

Oh dear, don't know how many times I've been over this recently. And well, if you think so carry on - but you are in the minority! Look at the previous posts. That pdf is for the CUNARD BRAND - not the ship's hull colour. Printing process black. They are talking about the each individual ship's own colours in promo material, literature, etc, etc. to give all materials a standard, consistent look. I don't see much of that Queen Victoria purple painted on her.

CUNARD FEDERAL GREY - the clue is in the name! And anyway, the hulls are definately not black. Also, why would Airfix go on a wild goose chase, and just pull it out of thin air? Assume they did do some research ....

FederalGrey.jpg

Edited by clipper

• 6 months later...

I have just bought this kit and was wondering the same thing - is it blue or black. I'm wondering if Tamiya Rubber Black might not be a suitable color choice? That has a slight bluish hue to a not quite all black base color