Skyvan puzzle

rossm

I came across a set of decals on ebay for the Skyvan pictured here https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1968/1968%20-%201408.PDF

But there is also the picture of a different one here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/South-West-Aviation-Short-SC-7-Skyvan-G-ATPF-Aviation-Aircraft-/351265050899. The background would appear to be Exeter.

But Flight Magazine says South West Aviation only had one Skyvan here https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1970/1970%20-%200552.html

The two machines also have different engines - but that is explained by the first article mentioned. Looks like the Airfix kit is the Garrett engined version?

Please can anyone shed any light - and sorry if this should be in Classic, it seems to fall in between the headings.

TIA,

Ross

Edited by rossm

Ross, I am pretty certain all Skyvans, while originally intended to use Turbomecas, had Garretts. In this particular, the superb Airfix model is entirely correct (they had been caught out by doing a wrong-engined Jetstream at about the same period in the 60s/70s, so were doubly aware of engine fitment).

The Ebay photo shows a Turbomeca machine, hence I can only assume it was an early shot of a prototype or pre-production machine. Prototypes often fly in the colours of early customers to show how sellable they are, so G-ATPF was not necessarily South West Aviation's actual machine. Also, manufacturer's often supply prototypes/pre-production examples to early customers to meet contract conditions, replacing them with proper production machines as they become available later than intended. Either of these scenarios could explain why we have two different SWA Skyvans with two different engine installations.

This is off-the-cuff and without the benefit of looking up data in spotters' or similar books.

Skippiebg is correct

The Skyvan 1 was first flown with Piston engines, later Astazou

Skyvan 2 was Astazou engines, only a couple built

and the Skyvan 3 was Garrett engines.

forgot to mention

that South West scheme in your first article is available from S&M decals

Edited by Graeme H

According to 'British Independent Airlines 1946 - 1976 by TAHS, South West Aviation operated Skyvan 2 G-ATPF on lease from Short Brothers from February 1968 until it was returned in January 1969. Skyvan 3 G-AWCS was delivered to them in July 1968, and was operated until its sale in February 1972.

HTH

Dave

Thank you to everyone for the replies which explain everything perfectly.

A bit of an aside......

I have an incomplete Skyvan kit which I will try to complete with a bit of scratchbuilding - at least the shapes are simple - for those decals. As they seem to be the same price just about anywhere I have put in a bid as I know the seller and he has supported our local show in the past in spite of having to travel from Birmingham to Plymouth.

A pity that second scheme is not as attractive (to my eyes) as the first but finding engines for a conversion might be a problem.