1/32 scale KittyHawk Models P-39 Airocobra

Latest model from my workbench it is the 1/32 scale KittyHawk Models P-39 Airocobra built almost from the box with the addition of the HGW seat belts. Kit decals used. Hope you like here as she is hopefully going to be a build article in a future issue of Tamiya Model Magazine.

P-39-1_zpsxbsgfr8x.jpg

• Like 14

Nice to see you did it in Soviet markings. I've always thought of the P-39 'Kobra' as being more Soviet than American, despite its manufacture. Did you work off of a photograph for the weathering? I don't remember ever seeing a Kobra that weathered (except for one that was pulled from a northern Russian lake some years back).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

Hello,

A great exercise in weathering, indeed, but completely unrealistic for my taste.

Filatov's plane, like most soviet P-39, was well maintained and far for beeing that scruffy:

Fil93.jpg

Source: http://www.modellismopiu.it/modules/newbb_plus/print.php?forum=132&topic_id=117352

But once again, this is a matter of personal taste, and the work to obtain that finish is certainely interesting, (to depict an airplane abandoned for years in the tundra, IMHO).

Philippe

• Like 2

Russians don't know how to look after an aeroplane...looks excellent. Very realistic Well done.

Andrew

Yes, I must agree with you especially when you know they had to work bare hands on the open by minus 30-40°C on crap airplanes that the West didn't want to use.

As you want to be a pilot , I just hope you'll have the same courage and competence as the Russian pilots and their dedicated crewmen had during the WWII.

Your assertion is certainly far from being " Very realistic ", just a little bit insulting.

Take a little time to browse and look for American or whatever allied aircraft serving in the Aleutians, Pacific or desert and you'll see what I mean !

Just my two cents.

Madcop ( I am not Russian )

PS. I still consider this model as being representative of a good technique mastering. But as usual, technique is not all !

• Like 3

Well, I would also say it looks like an aircraft recovered from a peat bog decades after the war, but I really like the effect of fading and chipping.

Can you tell us something about your technique? Hairspray/chipping fluid most likely, and spraying thin coates of OD irregularily over some strongly faded OD?

Edited by Doc72