Cannon Spitfire - 1/72 KP Mk.IIb

I never met Edgar Brooks nor corresponded with him directly but like many others on this forum and others I benefitted from his research and freely-given knowledge so I am glad of this opportunity to record my gratitude and honour his memory.

I'll be building the new-tool Kovozavody Prostejov (KP from now on) Spitfire IIB:

DSCN4620.jpg

I'm not sure if I will build it as per the box or steal the underwing cannon bulges and transfers from the AZ models Mk.Ib:

DSCN4622.jpg

... because I like one of the 92 Squadron options from that kit (with the black port wing underside) and am not particularly inspired by the KP markings choices - the KP ones (plus a third option shown on the front of the box):

DSCN4631.jpg

... and the transfers:

DSCN4627.jpg

... and the AZ Mk.Ib options:

DSCN4633.jpg

It's the top one I particularly like but for some reason the AZ kit itself does not really appeal, in fact it makes me think of hard work every time I look at the parts *shudder* - here are the AZ transfers - note the stencil set is identical for both:

DSCN4625.jpg

Incidentally I'm sure I have seen the new KP kit referred to as a re-box of the AZ Spitfire kits - I don't believe it is, although the tooling might have been done by AZ, the sprues are shown below - the AZ sprues are the upper set, the KP the lower set and the KP parts are noticeably more refined:

DSCN4623.jpg

I think from the look of the KP sprues you can build any cannon-armed Spitfire from a Mk.II up to a 'desertised' clipped-wing Mk.V - possibly a Mk.Ib too, but the underwing cannon-bulges on the AZ sprue do not match any parts on the KP sprues, though the KP does include a choice of two underwing bulges... however I cannot find a decent photo or drawing of the Mk.I cannon bulge so it is difficult to say if they represent the same parts; the KP ones are shorter and more kidney-shaped than the AZ ones.

Here are the KP instructions and clear parts (including the gunsight):

DSCN4630.jpg

Finally, I will try to replace the kit parts with these:

DSCN4635.jpg

Like all the Master gun barrels they are so beautiful I get all teary-eyed just looking at them and can hardly bear the thought of using them on one of my models (I also have several packs of the .303s that I am saving for my Mythical Perfect Model) :lol:

That's me then, sorry for the lengthy preamble and thanks for your patience if you are still reading :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

This is a kit I'm very curious about, great to see it built for the STGB.

The KP kit is moulded by AZ they now own the KP brand. It is however a new tool from metal moulds like the AZ Spit IX while the original AZ Mk.Ib kit was a short run.

• Like 1

Welcome to the GB Stew. I'm keen to see how this new generation of KP kit goes together having built a few of the older and more basic ones many years ago. Good to see a rare version of the Spitfire getting attention as well :D

• Like 1

Excellent, I've been wondering about this kit and you're the perfect man to introduce it to us Stew. I think KP is coming out with a Mk. IB version of this kit with 92 Sqn markings in the near future.

I have some 'E' wing Master barrels, and I'm doing the same thing - I keep thinking I'll use them on a 'good' build.

• Like 1

This is a kit I'm very curious about, great to see it built for the STGB.

The KP kit is moulded by AZ they now own the KP brand. It is however a new tool from metal moulds like the AZ Spit IX while the original AZ Mk.Ib kit was a short run.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up Giorgio, I was wondering at the similarities and the differences. The kit looks very nice on the sprues, and the parts look better moulded than appears to be the case with the pictures linked to by Homebee here - whether those pictures were of test shots or if it was just the unforgiving focus of macro photography I can't say for sure.

Be keeping a watch on this, tempted to do the cannon spit myself, the decals I'd had chosen for my MKiia are actually for a cannon spit

Ooh that's bad luck Stu, or perhaps an opportunity knocking? :D

Welcome to the GB Stew. I'm keen to see how this new generation of KP kit goes together having built a few of the older and more basic ones many years ago. Good to see a rare version of the Spitfire getting attention as well :D

Thanks Col, and thanks for having me :) - it looks a nice kit, if it goes together well then I foresee a few of these in my future...

Stew build, new KP Spitfire, you've made an old man very happy. I'm in :popcorn:

Welcome Ced and thanks. Was it Eric Morecambe who said "You've made a happy man feel very old"?

Excellent, I've been wondering about this kit and you're the perfect man to introduce it to us Stew. I think KP is coming out with a Mk. IB version of this kit with 92 Sqn markings in the near future.

I have some 'E' wing Master barrels, and I'm doing the same thing - I keep thinking I'll use them on a 'good' build.

Thanks Cookie, I'll document progress as well as my lack of photographic skills allow. Thanks for the useful intel regarding the Mk.IB, in that case I will build this as KP intended and get a Mk.IB later. I'm glad you know how I feel about the Master barrels. I was starting to think I had gone a bit funny. Well, funnier.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Perhaps gingerbob (or someone else) can make it clear, but wasn't the early cannon fit different from the production B wing? Perhaps this is why a choice is provided?

I believe problems with the initial type of feed mechanism led to a redesign on the production wings that stopped the cannons jamming.

• Like 1

Perhaps gingerbob (or someone else) can make it clear, but wasn't the early cannon fit different from the production B wing? Perhaps this is why a choice is provided?

The answer, perhaps ironically, might be here in a post Edgar made in 2014, and the two drawings he posts do seem to match the cannon bulges provided by KP but the AZ blister for the Mk.Ib is longer and thinner... KP's instructions indicate that you should use the larger blisters for the IIB.

I believe problems with the initial type of feed mechanism led to a redesign on the production wings that stopped the cannons jamming.

That does appear to be the case Col, and also the shell casing ejection system.

I've been wondering about this kit myself Stew. I'll be very interested to see how it all goes together,

Sean

Thanks Sean, I'll keep detailed notes and plenty of pics :D

Cheers,

Stew

Same as above stew, looking forward to this as I wouldn't mind a few if they are any good!

Crack on now, it's not like you too hang around!

Cookie shouldn't you have all the knowledge on this after your 92 Sqn ib build? 😃

I too prefer the top option

Rob

• Like 1

Glad to see you're building this one, Stew -- I just ordered a KP Spitfire Vb the other day, and I'm eager to see what the platonic ideal of it built will be.

• Like 1

Same as above stew, looking forward to this as I wouldn't mind a few if they are any good!

Crack on now, it's not like you too hang around!

Cookie shouldn't you have all the knowledge on this after your 92 Sqn ib build?

I too prefer the top option

Rob

Thanks Rob, glad you could make it :D - I'm going to build the box-top option (616 RAuxAF) as I haven't built a Spitfire in the Day Fighter Scheme since I was about 12 year old... and I'll build a Mk.Ib when it becomes available.

. Indeed, wouldn't be so bad as I have a couple more options if it wasn't A b type scheme and the rest A type. Though as you say perfect excuse to buy the IIB

Indeed Stu. Every silver lining has a cloud, and vice versa :D

Glad to see you're building this one, Stew -- I just ordered a KP Spitfire Vb the other day, and I'm eager to see what the platonic ideal of it built will be.

I think the bits are the same for both kits PC, though with a different canopy for the Vb... I know we have discussed this before but I have to say that the parts look really nice in the box :lol:

I did get round to spraying the interior green - another bit of Edgar's advice: the bulk of an old tin of Humbrol 90 Beige Green with about 5% 78 Cockpit Green added. Of course it barely shows up in the photograph but I did promise an abundance of pictures:

DSCN4639.jpg

I'll shade it later to bring out the detail a bit, though experience tells me that none of it will actually be visible at the end of the build...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

That looks like some nice detail Stew :)

The IG advice is another nice 'Edgar tribute contribution'; too late for my Vb (I foolishly ignored the instructions to use H90) but another nice memory.

• Like 1

Thanks Ced :) I think Airfix have been advising the use of H90 for some time now, but force of habit tends to have me wavering over H78 Cockpit Green on occasion; luckily I have a fairy retentive memory, if only for random pieces of information...

I took a little diversion before work to fiddle with the wings as detail painting the cockpit is a task not really suited for the early morning... the underfuselage amber signal light is moulded solid - in order that it should not look different from my Airfix Spitfires* I drilled the light out a bit; I'll fill it with Micro Kristal Klear after the varnish and tint it with Tamiya Clear Orange:

DSCN4642.jpg

There are two holes moulded into the interior of the lower wing part and you need to drill out the relevant hole for the two different cannon blisters:

DSCN4643.jpg

... in this case according to the instructions the outer hole is the one:

DSCN4644.jpg

The holes match the positioning pegs for the blisters themselves:

DSCN4645.jpg

They are handed, by the way.

DSCN4646.jpg

Another thing to do before joining the wing halves is to install the undercarriage bay parts - this is made up of one part for each side, the 'roof' of circular part of the wheelbay is moulded into the upper wing:

DSCN4647.jpg

The blister cleaned up and ready to attach:

DSCN4648.jpg

... and the wing halves joined. The fit is very good on all the parts so far...

DSCN4649.jpg

DSCN4651.jpg

While I was in the area I thought I would test-fit the Master 20mm Hispanos, seen with the (actually perfectly acceptable) kit part here:

DSCN4652.jpg

... as you can see the Master barrel has a longer fairing which necessitated drilling out the hole in the wing a bit; before I knew it I got carried away and glued the barrel in even though logic dictates leaving this to nearer the end:

DSCN4654.jpg

The only excuse I have is that they are brass and well fixed into the wing so I am unlikely to break them off. Even so, what was I thinking of? Especially when I attached the second one just to make sure they matched:

DSCN4656.jpg

Anyway that's done now, at least until I reach the point of attaching the undercarriage and so on, first I must get on with the cockpit parts.

Cheers,

Stew

* Not that anyone is going to compare this kit when finished to my Airfix Spitfires except me

• Like 11

I was fondling the sprues of one of my KP Spitfires the other day and was thinking that they look so much better than the ones in my AZ ones, that photo confirms my thoughts.

Agreed. This looks like an orders of magnitude improvement over the old AZ Spits so far.

• Like 1

Glad you got up the gumption to use the metal barrels Stew. As to it being too early in the build - strike while the iron is hot I say. Later on they wouldn't have been nearly as fun to attach.

I'm so glad the KP kit turned out so well, it's on my list for sure now.

• Like 1

Thanks gents :)

I'm very impressed with the kit so far, for moulding and fit of parts. E-models are doing them for about £11.50 post free and Oxonians for £9.50 plus £3.50-odd for the postage, so if you are planning to get more than one (or more than one of the kit variants) then Oxonians would be the best bet.

I started the cockpit yesterday and drilled out the harness slot in the seat:

DSCN4658.jpg

This was then painted reddish-brown with a darker brownish-red padded back, or vice versa:

DSCN4661.jpg

The seat is nicely done and includes the scraped-out bottom bit for the pilot's dingy pack. I then attached the seat to the armour plate/bulkhead parts:

DSCN4663.jpg

KP provide transfers for the instrument panel (two apparently identical ones for some reason, both of which were sadly off-register) and for the seat harness, but I have a stockpile of Eduard Micro-fabric harness so will be using one of these:

DSCN4665.jpg

... this was fitted without issues:

DSCN4669.jpg

I used the instrument panel decal anyway, on the grounds that no-one is going to look inside to see if the instruments are readable and if they do they will not be able to see anyway. I did the detail painting on the cockpit sidewals, nearly all black acrylics so it didn't take long:

DSCN4670.jpg

... and then came the first indication that this kit does have a short-run heritage, as you have to make up your own blanks for the exhaust opening from plastic card. I've got plenty and it was an easy enough thing to do, but a less well-equipped modeller might find it annoying to have to do this, especially if they didn't have any plastic card since none was provided with the kit. It didn't bug me, but be aware you will need some if you are planning on building one of these kits.

DSCN4672.jpg

I got the internal parts joined, I did cut off the reflector gunsight glass plate and replaced it with a bit of acetate, because I was too lazy to polish out the mould seam on the kit part and it was a bit thick, though who am I to talk?

DSCN4675.jpg

... and finally I fitted the parts to the inside of the fuselage. The fit was a bit vague so I have pegged the halves together to ensure everything sets where I want it to.

DSCN4676.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention - there are some really nice touches to this kit such as the different wheels, wireless masts, propellers, spinners and cannon-blisters for different variants but the one that made me swoon with pleasure was the choice between the gubbins that goes directly behind the pilot's head armour, either the lumpy one for the early Spits or the dual-cylinder voltage regulator from the Mk.V - both are about the size of a pinhead but distinct in their own right, I just didn't expect to find the option in an injection-moulded kit, as well as the rectangular or circular rear-view mirrors...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11