Tamiya 1/35 scale 3 Ton 4x2 Cargo Truck. (My first club group build)

I got as far as assembling half of the cargo (3 x 200 litre drums and 8 x Jerry cans) when my right shoulder informed me that it was time to stop! :owww:

Not sure what it is but the pain was excruciating. It may be a trapped nerve or a pulled muscle so I've dosed myself with Ibuprofen and we'll see what tomorrow brings.

At least it had the good manners to wait until I had finished adding the tiny bits :)

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic40_zps

To be continued... sooner or later :clif:

• Like 3

Cheers Phil,

I've got this in my stash so your hard work is giving me a heads up on what to expect & how to defeat it!

Did you come up with a solution to the weighted tyres problem?......I've thought of sanding a flat spot then putting said flat spot onto a heated screwdriver (briefly!!) to create a bulge,It's not something I've tried,just an idea.

Ouch. Hope you're ok Phil? The build is flying along. Thanks for the tips on the wood filling and scribing, :goodjob:

John.

Thanks John, The shoulder's a lot better now and with a bit of luck and some peace and quiet I hope to get some more done this weekend :D

Awesome work!! :thumbsup:

Thank you SJLR_1

Cheers Phil,

I've got this in my stash so your hard work is giving me a heads up on what to expect & how to defeat it!

Did you come up with a solution to the weighted tyres problem?......I've thought of sanding a flat spot then putting said flat spot onto a heated screwdriver (briefly!!) to create a bulge,It's not something I've tried,just an idea.

Glad the build thread is helpful

I have not yet come up with a viable solution to the weighted tyres problem.

I've already rejected the idea of pressing them on a heated surface/screwdriver as the heat would be too localised at the edge and probably just result in the tyre having a thin blob at the very bottom.

Due to the thickness of the plastic it needs to be evenly heated and softened to about two thirds of the way from the bottom to the lower rim. Any higher will probably result in the steel wheel part becoming distorted.

It has been suggest that this could be done in a pan of simmering water held to the right depth for about 30 seconds to a minute and then gently pressed on the bottom of the pan.

I haven't yet tried this because:-

a. I haven't worked out a good method of holding the wheel that close to boiling water without scalding myself

b. We don't have a pan that my missus won't hit me with if I bugger it up :D

Another alternative was to cut a flat on the bottom of the tyre and build a bulge on the sides with putty.

Still hoping someone will come up with a third viable option (aside from after market replacements)

Good luck with the build and I'll notify on here of any further pitfalls if they appear :)

Edited by Phil Lewis
  • Like 3

A little update.

I've added all the small parts such as headlights, door handles etc. that can be on for the main colour coat.

I've just temporarily reassembled the sub-assemblies to ensure there aren't any surprises.

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic41_zps

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic42_zps

Next step will be to take off the cab and cargo bed, re-mask the windows and spray on the base colour (that would be XF-63 German Grey)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been rather slow but I've finally got round to re-masking the windows and applying the base coat.

Hopefully this has got me over the hump and it should be downhill all the way from here :analintruder:

Here's some piccies to keep us all going :D

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic43_zps

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic44_zps

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic45_zps

Thanks all for the kind comments they really help keep things moving when the enthusiasm starts fading. :thumbsup2:

• Like 4

I don't normally venture into wheeled territory Phil but saw this build in your sig file and had to have a gander. Pukka work. The washes and weathering look the business for a vehicle that's been 'in the field'. And yet another reason my resolve not to buy any of Mr. Flory's finest is weakening by the day.

No baked beans on this one....

:)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just when one is building up momentum you can guarantee health will snag a trouser leg in the bicycle chain of your enthusiasm.

Having suffered for a couple of weeks I finally went to the doctors and the tablets seem to be doing the trick :D

Now I'm feeling more up to it I have made a tentative poke at the Blitz.

Not much but I needed to redo the cab roof after providing a perfect thumb print sample above the passenger side.

I also needed to rebed the masking as it had started to peel back.

So on with a little more thinned XF63 followed by a nice light coat of TS-13 Clear to ensure the sanctity of the underlying paint.

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic46_zps

Only one pic but I intend to make steady progress on this one.

Cheers for looking.

Oh yes, whilst waiting for the clear coat to dry I 'looked' at one of the tanks in my stash and... after about 2 hours of 'looking' I was here:

Italeri35CrusaderMk1WIP-06-06-16basic07_

I think I need to start a new thread :blush:

*update* New build thread here

Edited by Phil Lewis
  • Like 4

Nice progress, and good work on all those ejector marks. And a great job with the figures too.

I'm not sure that holding the wheels in hot water would provide enough heat to soften the tyres. Personally I'd flatten the bottom and build up the tyre wall with putty. It really doesn't require much more than a smear (even under a full load a tyre doesn't bulge that much) And of course the stuff is easy to remove should it all go .... er... pear-shaped.

Having said all that, I wouldn't bother 'bulging' tyres.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Many moons ago (197?) I recall building an Opel Blitz, but my memory says it was Italeri rather than Tamiya. Anyone know if my memory is suspect and I actually built this?

IIRC the version I built had a canopy for the body, so I'm pretty sure that made it Italeri? I'm getting tempted by armour seeing the WIP on here!

I've just checked mine & yes the Italeri version has got a canopy,I've been adding lots of German vehicles to my stash as I've got big ideas of creating a diorama inspired by one I saw in the Tamiya catalogue decades ago. It involved troops & refugees fleeing the Russians over a bridge that sappers were wiring to demolish,it looked great & I remember wishing that I had the skills(& money!!) to do something similar.

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Back working on the Opel Blitz now :)

Decals applied and gloss coated ready for weathering (once the gloss coat has fully cured)

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic47_zps

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic48_zps

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic49_zps

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic50_zps

All looking rather factory fresh at the moment but wait till I have at it with the flory washes :hobbyhorse:

Cheers for looking

Phil :thumbsup2:

• Like 6

Pioneer tools, spot lamp and door mirror painted up ready to go on.

Wood effect on tool handles produced by painting a coat of Tamiya Sand followed by a streaky, dry-ish wash of thinned burnt umber oil paint.

Used a dry stiff bristle brush in the direction of the desired grain while oil wash still slightly wet.

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic51_zps

And with the jack. Metallic effect produced by drybrushing over dark grey or Nato Black with Vallejo Metal Colour Steel (still my favourite)

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic52_zps

Not convinced that where Tamiya would have you put the jack is the correct place. I can see the guy getting in and out of the passenger side roundly cursing it for the damage to his ankles, shins etc..

Trying to find online references which show it in place.

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Phil :thumbsup:

Edited by Phil Lewis
  • Like 4

This looks really good Phil. I like your work on the tools; the wood effect really works. It all looks like the real thing :thumbsup2:

Tony