Tamiya 1/35 scale 3 Ton 4x2 Cargo Truck. (My first club group build)

Wheels assembled, primered with Halford's grey and Tamiya XF-85 Rubber Black airbrushed on.

Also added a bit around the window masks and, hopefully, when the body colour goes on will look like the rubber seals.

Sorry for the blurred pic. Taken with phone camera which insisted on focussing on the filter. Nice shot of the filter though.

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic06_zps

time to call it a night and get another cuppa.

• Like 2

Sprayed the base colour (German Grey) on the chassis and added the wheels

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic07_zps

Sprayed seats Vallejo Rotbraun, seemed the closest match for the colour I was after.

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic08_zps

Dashboard painted and a very light drybrush of XF 16 Matt Aluminium

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic09_zps

Making it all look rather used with Flory Washes (Dark Dirt, Grime and a touch of Sand here and there.

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic10_zps

Assembled dasboard, floorpan, and back of cab together.

Added this to part containing running boards and front arches and added radiator grille and long triangular part that goes from the radiator to the back of the dash.

At this point I found it necessary to tape all the remaining parts to the assembly to correct some alignment issues.

Looks like this

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic11_zps

Looking like a truck

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic12_zps

With all that tape on it looks like a car I used to own :)

• Like 9

After the glue had set I removed all the loose bits and was left with this...

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic13_zps

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic15_zps

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic14_zps

Tamiya would have you assemble the driver and navigator in one of the most boring poses I have seen..

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic16_zps

I wanted interesting. I wanted to depict them as if the driver had made a sudden veer to the left catching his navigator by surprise.

After a bit of surgery this was the result. Not quite as dynamic as I had hoped but part of the restriction was it had to be OOB so could only use what is available.

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic17_zps

And in position (doesn't really show off the lean very well at this angle)

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic18_zps

Next stage, figure painting, that will require considerably more tea.

Thanks for your positive comments FrancisGL and Badder.

All comments and suggestions are very welcome :)

Edited by Phil Lewis
  • Like 4

Started by applying some Halfords grey primer to the crew and then realised, do I really want to blindly follow Tamiya's colour suggestions for the uniform?

I shall be doing some research on uniforms used in the european and eastern theatre and will hold fire until I am sure. Any hints and tips would be very welcome.

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic19_zps

In the meantime I turned my attention to the chassis.

I took the wheels off (thank you Tamiya for the rubber grommets) and realised they looked too new.

After attacking them with some abrasives they looked nicely used and I repaired the paint using XF-85 Rubber Black.

They will get weathered and muddied later.

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic20_zps

On to the chassis and I wanted the exhaust to look used and rusty so I dabbed and stippled some Mr Surfacer 500 all over it (well, the bits I could reach anyway).

When it was dry I found the effect to be too rough so I carefully smoothed it a little using a small paintbrush dipped in acetone.

Once dry I got to work with the Vallejo rust set trying to get some tonal variation in there.

Followed this up with some repair work to the chassis base paint.

I then applied a slightly rusty wash strategically around the leaf springs and anywhere I thought it likely rust would form followed by a very thin wash of XF-1 Flat Black.

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic21_zps

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic22_zps

Comments, suggestions and tips always welcome.

Thank you for looking :)

Edited by Phil Lewis
  • Like 8

I'll tell you one thing. Those chairs look like real leather. Pity they have to be sat on and hidden.

As for the poses of the driver and navigator being boring, I think the same can be said for 90 percent of Tamiya figures. Personally I'd have left the figures as they were. The truck has a roof after all so they won't be in plain sight. Similarly, I have chap for my Quad tractor whose elbows jut out at shoulder height and drives, therefore, in a manner reminiscent of a gorilla. If the Quad was open topped I'd definitely rip his arms off and replace them.

Good job on the tyre wear. If you're going to put the truck in a dio on a hard surface, don't forget to flatten the tyres a bit where they meet the road. :popcorn:

Looking forward to seeing your truck full of cargo and dirtied up a bit.

Rearguards,

Badder.

I now have a good idea on the colour of the uniforms which pretty much tallies up with the Tamiya call-outs.

First the flesh tones, hands and faces, and it's time to get the lifecolour acrylic flesh paint set out.

I try not to get the tones too contrasty as it can look cartoonish and I never try to paint eyes as such, I go more for a suggestion of eyes when viewed from a sensible distance.

Here's the result. They don't really stand up to close scrutiny but when viewed from a couple of feet inside a closed cab and with 50yr old eyes they're ok :)

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic23_zps

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic24_zps

A bit of distance helps :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the hiatus. I got distracted building the Airfix Bf109 G-6 here :)

I've been looking at the wheels and really want them to look under load (slightly bulged and flattened)

Does anyone have any tips on making the kit items look like that?

After market items are not an option as it needs to be whatever came in the box modified.

This is how they are at the moment.

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic20_zps

• 2 weeks later...

I just caught up with this Phil. Great work. I've been wondering which flesh colour paint set to get - judging by your excellent work here the Lifecolor set is good. The Flory washes have also turned out really well, I like your work on the inside of the cab. :)

Best regards

Tony

Sorry about the delay, got distracted by a 109 G and a Vampire :bounce:

Thank you all for the positive and encouraging comments

Well, the figures are in and the roof is on.

Loosely fitted the doors to ensure everything was square and lined up.

Looks like you were right Badder, you don't see much with the roof and doors on :badmood:

Ah well, at least we all know it's there :D

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic27_zps

If you shine a light in and crane your neck just so.....

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic28_zps

Hmm... not sure it'll be worth the months of physio just to see the interior.

Hey ho, I think I'll have a crack at the cargo bed next with all those lovely ejector marks. :fight:

Onwards and upwards :hobbyhorse:

• Like 4

I wasn't kidding about the ejector pin marks. All very considerately placed within the otherwise lovely plank texture.

Still waiting for the Mr Surfacer 500 to cure before I can start smoothing it off and attempting to recreate the texture.

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic29_zps

More later :)

• Like 3

Lovely work. I'm now going to go and have a look at mine to see the full extent of those pin marks. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

:edit: Just looked up close. Why would they do that? Why? :chair:

:police:

I have no idea John, no idea :mental:

Anyway, after the mr surfacer had cured I scraped it smooth by dragging a scalpel blade along the grain and then made 2 or 3 passes over each one with very coarse sandpaper in the direction of grain to try to restore some texture.

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic30_zps

and after a light coat of XF-63 German Grey

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic31_zps

A satisfactory result methinks :yahoo:

Thanks for looking :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

Step 17 has one assembling the truck bed and 2x storage boxes.

Bottom and sides of truck bed were duly assembled and then...

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic32_zps

Seriously Tamiya?? What's with the poking holes in the difficult to reproduce wood texture?

So it was out with the Mr Surfacer again and while waiting for it to cure I carried on with section 18 adding most but not all of the underside fittings.

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic33_zps

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic34_zps

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic35_zps

When I had done this the filler had set and I was able to smooth it and scrape some texture into it.

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic36_zps

Test fitted sub assemblies to ensure they all play nicely together.

Looking like a truck :)

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic37_zps

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic38_zps

Tamiya35OpelCargoWIP-12-03-16basic39_zps

Lots of little parts to go on each sub assembly so I will need to work out which ones can go on to be painted in situ and which ones need to be painted separately and fitted at the end.

Thanks for looking.

Comments and suggestions always welcome.

• Like 5