RIAT 2016

DaveJL

Dunno how much thats weather and how much thats CAA. Hope you get more luck tomorrow!

I'm quite lucky here really living bang under the Lichfield Corridor. Flights of Strike Eagles and Typhoons come over 2 or 3 times a week transiting to and from the valleys.

Well we just got back and I've got sunburn today! Was only sunny for about 2-3 hrs but was hot when it did. I thought it was the best for a few years excellent displays from all sorts

F-22A Raptor was awesome and did a moving heritage fly-by with the USAF F-35A

Rafale display was insanely good on Friday and today

Last weekend ever of the RAMEX Delta Mrage 2000N display team

F-35B was impressive

All the display teams were good

Noisiest was the F/A-18 at the end - even outdid the Typhoon

Love the OTT 'Frecce Tricolore' and 'SoloTurk' commentaries - some comedy gold there

Had to buy a pop-up tent because the wife was cold this morning, but was allowed extra books from Aviation Bookshop as compensation

• Like 4

..great flying and some real shopping bargains to be had this year - the Airfix 24 scale Typhoon was £59 at the Antics stand - not seen it cheaper anywhere - and Simon at the bookshop was doing the SAM Datafiles at 3 titles for £10!

I left at 4.30 and got home at 7.30 got stuck on the M4 due to an accident, this has been my first RIAT for over 15yrs and I did enjoy it was impressed with the Atlas ,Grippen,F-22,F-35,solo turk, and I thought the static was good nice to see the Greek Phantoms and nice crew as well !

All in all a good day and now I have 2-3,000 photos to go through and 3 batteries to charge never gone through that many !!

Guy

Edited by F4u
  • Like 1

..was there for the arrival of the Hellenic F-4s on the Wednesday - only flew a couple of passes and a break to land but..awesome! ..never thought I'd ever see an F-4 in the air again. The A400 was surprisingly big 'in the flesh' I thought, and the chance to wander through one in the RAF 'village' not to be missed

chatted to the Greek F-4 pilot

" how much longer are you going to be flying the F-4?"

"..oh ..err ..at least 40 years I think .."

"no, how much long-eeerr.."

• Like 3

One thing that really struck me again yesterday was that the commentator on the tannoy was saying during one of the F-16 displays was that the prototype was flown 42 years ago. In context, and as a demonstration of how fast technology has moved, if you had witnessed a supposedly front-line a/c that was 42 years old at the time that the F-16 first flew, then the air would be full of doped canvas and wire.

• Like 2

Well I did RIAT today, great as ever! The F-35 in a hover is the most unbelievably loud thing i've ever heard. Stealth indeed! :) The F-22 display was spectacular for 2 minutes but got cut short due to 'an aircraft fault' on trying to open the weapon bay. 30 mins later the gremlin was fixed and it took off again to go and display at Duxford. Even the traffic getting to the M5 seemed a minor inconvenience afterwards.

..was there for the arrival of the Hellenic F-4s on the Wednesday - only flew a couple of passes and a break to land but..awesome! ..never thought I'd ever see an F-4 in the air again. The A400 was surprisingly big 'in the flesh' I thought, and the chance to wander through one in the RAF 'village' not to be missed

chatted to the Greek F-4 pilot

" how much longer are you going to be flying the F-4?"

"..oh ..err ..at least 40 years I think .."

"no, how much long-eeerr.."

Given their financial state, he may be quite correct though

Shane

• Like 2

Well I did RIAT today, great as ever! The F-35 in a hover is the most unbelievably loud thing i've ever heard. Stealth indeed! :) The F-22 display was spectacular for 2 minutes but got cut short due to 'an aircraft fault' on trying to open the weapon bay. 30 mins later the gremlin was fixed and it took off again to go and display at Duxford. Even the traffic getting to the M5 seemed a minor inconvenience afterwards.

Have to agree, both variants looked spectacular once in the air, only problems it made me want to build my hasegawa one, if only I could paint it..:(

Thoroughly enjoyed Saturday, was fully expecting rain, but that didn't come. The low cloud was still a bit unfortunate though as the majority of displays had to be flown "flat". This is I think why I thought the F-22 display (which I had been looking forward to) as a little underwhelming compared to what I had seen before "on the net". The F-35 looks like the F-22's fat, short, ugly brother...

Personal highlight was the Polish MiG-29 - had the advantage of breaking clouds too. I was expecting a flying Slovakian MiG-29 as well though, had that been cancelled?

Have to say though, it's not quite the same without Vulcan XH-558.

Jeffrey

I was expecting a flying Slovakian MiG-29 as well though, had that been cancelled?

Jeffrey

Yes, it was on the cancelled list on the RIAT website before

Have to agree, both variants looked spectacular once in the air, only problems it made me want to build my hasegawa one, if only I could paint it..:(

Funnily enough my revell one got pulled out of the stash this morning!

Jeffrey - no Slovakian mig29 that I saw either. Luckily the clouds lifted after 11 enabling full displays. Before that Soloturk didnt take off and the Swiss F5's just taxied the runway whilst their amusing director chattered over the tannoy about the 'breathtaking high speed taxi display' :)

well just got home after an amazing week,,, im already missing it and the great team of volunteers that I was working with. Just a big thank to all those that brought RIAT merchandise and never know I may of served you lol.....

but for now got unpacking to do and big wash load and then the adjustment back to reality and having internet that in a away didn't miss as made things more sociable , but did miss looking on here

• Like 3

Had a very enjoyable weekend at RIAT. Too many highlights to list, but in the flying the A400M and Ramex Delta stood out for me. Surely it is against the laws of physics for an aircraft such as the A400M to be allowed to bank to 123 degrees? And a lovely line up of Chipmunks!

Back to reality now...