RIAT 2016

DaveJL

Spooky this thread should just pop up! Bought mine today - I'm going for the Friday on my own and then back next morning with the wife. I can do all the model-buying, photography and geeky stuff on Friday and sit and enjoy the day with the Trouble and Strife on Saturday

Hello,AndyC - You won't if your good lady reads this!? :D Enjoy RIAT.;) All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Totterdown is safe as it's north side which is good.

Really looking forward to this years show !

Guy

I remember staying at a campsite many years ago when I was on my motorbike and there was a bridge connecting the campsite with the airfield can't remember the name of it though and if it is still there ?

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Looking on riat site i noticed something interesting, the 2 f35a's are confirmed, the f35 b however is not actually confirmed yet,....

A little bothersome as its actually the only one i really want to see, would hate them to have a get out on it,,.......

I suspect it will be top of mosts list as the must see , even over the Raptor, and one of the top draws and reasons people are booking tickets , not saying im cynical or anything but have seen similar marketing tricks in the past by other companys that need the income/ draw etc...

I have never been to a show where everything turns up....

- however my memory tells me that plastering graphic portrayals of an F35 on the cover/webpage of all your advertising and then towing a GRP mock-up down the runway is taking the mickey a little.

I will be there just in case everything does turn up, displays in just the right light conditions, and a couple of previously unannounced Sukhois and MIGs decide to come and play. :pray:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Off topic sort of - will be driving up the m5 on the Saturday. How bad does the traffic get at kicking out time?

Depends when you leave at kicking out time, generally M5 side it's not THAT bad, but be prepared for slow moving traffic to the M5, I go to the M5 and head north, but I can't remember if the M5 south get directed another way, I assume they do.

Off topic sort of - will be driving up the m5 on the Saturday. How bad does the traffic get at kicking out time?

In the last few years it's been much better. The nadir was about 2009 when it took 3-4hrs to get out of the car park - they've got their act together now. Last year it was 15mins to get out of the car park at 1800hrs.

I see that MFS are going to be trading and I've tweeted to see if Wonderland are going again this year - no answer yet. Usually both have some great show bargains - credit card is warmed up...

Expect to see wonderland, they had a big presence last year, and at least from me did a roaring trade...thogh they didn't have the xtracrlix they said they were bringing, or least I couldn't see it, probably should have manned up and asked

Sadly it looks like Wonderland Models will not be there this year. This is a list of the Shows they are attending this year and RIAT is not listed

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/about-us/events/

I do find that surprising, They had a really good trade last year. There was plenty of empty spaces on their shelves towards the end of Sunday (I think they even mentioned how good it was on here)

I enjoyed today - no heritage props because of the wind but some impressive displays by Typhoon (BAe and RAF), the Belgian lawn-dart, the Atlas, USAF F-22, Ad'A Rafale and the USMC/USAF/RAF F-35A/B's.

Looking forward to tomorrow with the Gripen, 3 more lawn-darts and the MiG-29 - and maybe something a little more sedate if the wind drops.

• Like 3

Hows the weather? Been torrential just north in staffordshire all morning. Getting all the hiking waterproofs ready for tommorrow!

we are two miles away, it's cloudy,light wind and dry. Quite a lot of cars ignoring the marked routes and tearing through the village...

Two miles??? Let me know if you're ever selling the house :-)

a lot of the aerobatic stuff seem to use the edge of the village as a landmark for turning so we get a lot of quite low fly-pasts with the smoke on. Shame the cloud is so low today last year was great! :)