1/72 Beech twins--MC-12 Liberty & RC-12 Guardrail

I've long been a fan of the Beech Kingair & so decided to take on two, very different kits--Mach 2's RC-12 & RVHP's MC-12.

The Mach 2 kit was a pig (surprise, that!) and basically required a complete re-work. The engine nacelles represent the very-early C-12, with the round profile and had to be re-sculpted with milliput & profanity. The undercarriage was unusable, and I swapped them for part from the spare bin. Most of my effort was expended replicating the various structural reenforcements, lumps and bumps of the RC-12--I decided to model the latest RC-12X, instead of the kit-intended K-model, which required sculpting the ironing-board SLAR antennas on the aft fuselage & building-up new wingtip pods. I used the spare vacuform canopy from the RVHP kit--they pack it with two!!

RVHP is the exact opposite of Mach 2, and the MC-12 Liberty is no exception--it's lovely! Warning on the vacuform canopy though, it fit the Mach 2 aircraft, but was too wide for it's intended kit!! In retrospect, I should have shimmed the resin fuselage with styrene sheet before joining! Lesson for next time. Only major mod was cutting out the crew door & adding an operator's station--I still aim to sculpt the aft SATCOM hump to make it a later version of the MC-12, though it's finished as an early version for the time being. Both kits were expensive, but the MC-12 set a record for damage to my pocketbook!

I think it was worth it & my wife has come 'round ;) Amazing what flowers will do!!

25047852674_7f7dc68937_b.jpg

25585707591_e6948127f8_b.jpg

25585703691_8d08f271f8_b.jpg

25585704001_fc4662518a_b.jpg

25559657812_3657c79357_b.jpg

And the MC-12!

25678393495_00d98ba7bc_b.jpg

25585708661_6a8c516ff8_b.jpg

25678389045_356afb3a5b_b.jpg

• Like 24

Good jobs, both look great. I hope someone brings out decent injection moulded kits of these....

You & me both! I'd love to build a few more, but cost + pain of working with what's available is a real show-stopper. I'm hoping Amodel will come up with something--their just released C-12J (Beech 1900 commuter airliner) is fantastic, though my copy seems to be missing the military-specific equipment sprue. Such is life!

Cheers,

Arie

• Like 1

Nice work on both Arie. :thumbsup:

I have just started on my RVHP MC-12 and will have to look into shimming the fuselage to make the windscreen fit, thanks for that tip.

Did you just consult pictures for the antenna locations? The RVHP instructions are not very good in that respect.

• Like 1

Nice work on both Arie. :thumbsup:

I have just started on my RVHP MC-12 and will have to look into shimming the fuselage to make the windscreen fit, thanks for that tip.

Did you just consult pictures for the antenna locations? The RVHP instructions are not very good in that respect.

The antenna arrangement in the instructions is accurate for the aircraft depicted, as far as I can tell. If you compare photos, the MC-12W has flown in a variety of arrangements--the original aircraft were literally purchased from private owners & converted. As a result, no two aircraft were identical at the outset.

Later aircraft were new-build from (then) Hawker-Beechcraft, and are much more standardized (roughly 2013 and beyond.) Mine is a poor guide, since I'm planning to add the SATCOM hump, I configured as a late-model aircraft, but haven't finished yet...

Good luck on the kit! It was honestly a lot of fun, minus the aforementioned frustration.

Thankfully, you won't have to repeat this ugly mess! :

25594910621_d6249a2524_b.jpg

Cheers,

A. C.

• Like 1

Hey Arie, I have one more question regards the RVHP kit. I note there is a second set of engines that look idenical to those already moulded to the wings. Do you know why they might have been included?

I am not 100 % certain, my kit only had one set of engines, which were separate parts from the wing. The fit was poor, and it would have been nice if they were one piece!

I know that the earlier C-12 variants had different engines with a more circular air inlet. Otherwise, I'm not really sure...

Cheers,

A. C.

• Like 1