Phantom Help Wanted.

Madmonk

I've had a number of comments at shows asking if I do a lighting kit for the Phantom.

Looking at videos and a couple of online manuals I have come up with the following:

Wing Tip Navigation Lights

Landing/Taxi Light on front wheel strut

Anti-Collision Beacon on front of tail

Some have also had a light on the underside of the intakes that flash with the tail anti-Coll.

The manuals also talk about a tail light and formation lights but not been able to verify this on any videos.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Warren

Hi Warren,

I'll try and help you from memory. I was on 31Sqn Phantoms at RAF Brüggen from 1973 to 74 so here goes.

Tail leading edge, rectangular anti-collision light

Intake undersides, LH & RH: round white lights that lit in sequence with the tail anti-collision light (the anti-coll and white intake lights pulsed, they didn't 'flash!)

LH & RH leading edge wingtips, red and green accordingly

Upper tail trailing edge, white light (on non RWR aircraft)

LH & RH wing trailing edge tips, white rear facing formation lights (can anyone confirm as I also think that they had a cover that gave a horizontal slit effect, not a full light)

FGR.2's didn't have formation light bars on the fuselage & tail.

Hope this helps

XVTonker

Edited by xvtonker

Actually, the wing trailing edge lights were red ( port ) and green ( Starboard ) I know, as I had a "Spare " starboard light fitting from one of our ( 17 Sqn. ) FGR 2's.

Wished I'd kept it, but it disappeared during several moves.

I was at Bruggen from 1971 - 74, so maybe our paths crossed, XVTonker ?

Actually, the wing trailing edge lights were red ( port ) and green ( Starboard ) I know, as I had a "Spare " starboard light fitting from one of our ( 17 Sqn. ) FGR 2's.

Wished I'd kept it, but it disappeared during several moves.

I was at Bruggen from 1971 - 74, so maybe our paths crossed, XVTonker ?

You never know, probably in the NAAFI pigs bar.....:-)

The formation lights (known as slime lights) are green strips, one on the tail (4 segments), one on the nose (3 segments) and one behind the intakes (3 segments). There are plenty of photos showing their position.

They were fitted to F-4C, F-4D, F-4E, F-4F, RF-4C, RF-4E, and F-4S. Additionally, the RAF F-4J's had them fitted.

Thanks for that, gives me something to think about.

If I were to do a generic Phantom set guess it would include

Anti-collision on tail

Wing Tip navigation

Tail light

Under intake lights

Landing/taxi light

The pulsing of the anti-collisions should prove fun!

Cheers,

Warren

I think those lights were only found on the FG.1's & Royal Navy F-4K's

XVTonker

Looks like across the fleet then because just checked FGR2 & FG1 images out (and present on both) - not present initially and looks like a retro fit over here

Warren,

Reading the previous posts, unless I've missed it - no one has mentioned the IFR light!

This is the red light on the outer starboard side of the cockpit, adjacent to and just (approx. 8 inches) below the windshield.

If my memory serves me correct (I was on 29(F) in the early '80s) - it was used to illuminate the In-flight refuelling probe (when extended) at night as an aid to the pilot during this hazardous operation. This is fitted to both FG1 and FGR2 aircraft, and USN F-4s, but I'm not sure which others had it ? Obviously this was only required for aircraft with the IFR probe fitted, and not the USAF type F-4 variants.

Edited by 29Triplex

I believe the FGR2s also had a small light on the drag chute door - I had a scrap one floating around the house for many years and it definately had a bulb mounted on the outside.

They did

I think those lights were only found on the FG.1's & Royal Navy F-4K's

XVTonker

Nope, FGR2s had the chute door light too, moved from top of fin when the RWR was fitted.

Duncan B

Hi Warren,

There is also a position light on the upper spine which is part of the same system as the two under the intakes. On aircraft with a refuelling probe (US Navy & Spey Phantoms) this is aft of the first circular fuel tank access door. If the aircraft has the refuelling receptacle (Air Force versions) this was relocated to 'Door 19' immediately behind the cockpit since this area was used to house the receptacle itself. On the F-4E/F/G there are also two very small lights forward of the receptacle door to illuminate the area for the Boom Operator.

Note that there are different configurations of Nose Door lights:

Navy versions (F-4B/N, F-4J/S and FG.1) have a single circular lamp. Next to it are three small red/amber/green 'traffic lights' for the Carrier Landing System. The FGR2 has a similar arrangement but without the CLS lights.

The F-4C, F-4D, RF-4C and RF-4E have two square lamps side by side.

The F-4E/G, F-4F and F-4EJ have two circular lamps vertically mounted, the bottom (taxi) light is exposed below the door when the gear is extended.

The RF-4B is unique in having a single square lamp with the CLS traffic lights in place of the second square light seen on the land based RF-4s.

HTH,

Jonathan

The formation lights (known as slime lights) are green strips, one on the tail (4 segments), one on the nose (3 segments) and one behind the intakes (3 segments). There are plenty of photos showing their position.

They were fitted to F-4C, F-4D, F-4E, F-4F, RF-4C, RF-4E, and F-4S. Additionally, the RAF F-4J's had them fitted.

To my knowledge the slime lights on US phantoms were not on the F-4B/N's, F-4J's, RF-4B's, F-4C's and F-4D's. They were on the F-4E's, RF-4C's and the F-4S's. As always, there may be exceptions.

The anti collision lights on the tail, spine, and undersides of the intakes didn't flash on/off, but bright/dim. Do a search on Youtube for something like "F-4 Phantom night" to see what I mean.

The F-4B & J had a blue light on the port side of the aft fuselage above the trailing edge of the wing. I think it was used to help the LSO on carrier landings, but I don't know under what circumstances it was lit. I also don't know if the light was fitted to the FG.1.

HTH.

Ben

To my knowledge the slime lights on US phantoms were not on the F-4B/N's, F-4J's, RF-4B's, F-4C's and F-4D's. They were on the F-4E's, RF-4C's and the F-4S's. As always, there may be exceptions.

F-4C's and F-4D's were retrofitted with slime lights. When I have a moment I will try to find details. RF-4C's also were retrofitted.

The F-4B & J had a blue light on the port side of the aft fuselage above the trailing edge of the wing. I think it was used to help the LSO on carrier landings, but I don't know under what circumstances it was lit. I also don't know if the light was fitted to the FG.1.

HTH.

Ben

I don't remember a blue light on the port aft fuselage on the FG1s so I don't think so.

Duncan B