OV-10G Bronco returns to combat (Iraq)

GMK

I'm extremely sceptical of any talk about a dedicated ground support role. This is a FAC/INT platform with a probable mission supporting SEAL operations. Ground Teams can co-ordinate FLIR imagery and CAS through a local (human) FAC/INT platform rather than co-ordinating CAS through remote JTACs while also co-ordinating with a separate remote drone command. It may have a last-ditch Hail Mary ground role, but that would be in extremis only, for this would actually compromise its covert role and expose it to greater hazards with which it is ill-equipped to cope.

I await further evaluation....!

All of those roles you've described (to me) sound precisely like "dedicated ground support role(s)".

I think some are trying to see a bit too much into the return of the Bronco, from what I understand its mission is going to be an advanced form of real-time recce to support special forces and not really the mythical COIN. For this kind of mission I'd probably take the Bronco any day compared to an armed trainer, as the old OV-10 has plenty of room in its fuselage to host a wide array of sensors and communication equipment.

I wouldn't want to use the Bronco for proper COIN though, the type was already considered too vulnerable in Vietnam and its load carrying capability is not particularly impressive

Edited by Giorgio N

• 2 months later...