Eldridge Fiat Mefisto 1/12 Italeri - Brief WIP

It's really all good here; wish we had a 'clubhouse' where we could assemble, gab and learn from each other.

Would be big fun I think... :cheers:

Was thinking exactly the same the other day.

Perhaps we should set a date and try to assemble a small group who would meet somewhere ( we could see your incredible Rolls with our own eyeballs ! ).

There is genuine human camaraderie here, sharing of tips and ideas, mutual help in pushing the envelope and honest encouragement.

If given enough notice, personally i would gladly travel and meet at a some 'britmodeller" week end reunion. :cheers: Nothing fancy, but two three days to share.

Was thinking exactly the same the other day.

Perhaps we should set a date and try to assemble a small group who would meet somewhere ( we could see your incredible Rolls with our own eyeballs ! ).

There is genuine human camaraderie here, sharing of tips and ideas, mutual help in pushing the envelope and honest encouragement.

If given enough notice, personally i would gladly travel and meet at a some 'britmodeller" week end reunion. :cheers: Nothing fancy, but two three days to share.

Alas, a lovely thought but if my math and geography serve me (doubtful, I was an art student), we come from three different continents. And some (me) may have health issues that preclude such travel.

But thankfully, we have this platform on which to meet, exchange and laugh. I'm glad to be here and enjoy this 'club'.

• Like 2

Alas, a lovely thought but if my math and geography serve me (doubtful, I was an art student), we come from three different continents. And some (me) may have health issues that preclude such travel.

But thankfully, we have this platform on which to meet, exchange and laugh. I'm glad to be here and enjoy this 'club'.

Yes, this virtual 'club' is amazing. Thanks to you all enriching contributors.

Dear distinguished aficionados of vintage cars and modeling challenges

This car has 4 distributors, 6 cables each....and a beautiful solution to line the four distributors around the same mechanical tree. Jay Leno's car "the Botafogo' has the same engine but two distributors (also with a beautiful arrangement).

Unfortunately the Italeri OOB solution calls for an inaccurate arrangement.

It does not render justice to the beauty of the engine... again... ( sorry am obsessed with this car ) so i am trying to scratch the arrangement:

Method used : Two aluminum pipes of different diameters inserted into each other to make the box, a little plastic card and lead wire to make a clamped belt, and a flattened lead wire with small cuts do reproduce the lock / seal. i used the cap from Italeri though, painted in a mix of red/brown enamel from humbrol. Have ordered some vintage silk covered wires from Prime Miniatures on the way. Hope this will work.

Also, chopped the base of the tree and reproduced a semblant of the real base with two plastic cards painted 'steel' and still to be weathered a bit.

NOT happy yet with the results, i still have to redo the lock/seal and the clamp's base which came out a mess.

This seems the route to go, unless any of you have C & C's ? easiest solution.

With this dry run, the next ones will be closer and closer to the real McCoy :hobbyhorse:

studying Codger's mythic build i learned =when you scratch build, you need to make three at least before you hit the right one...

83f1a257-132d-4228-b948-c8904e7d9d97_zps

L1030093_zpsverpvh1p.jpg

Slide1_zpsipozagl1.jpg

18d3cabd-06dd-47f1-8a3e-b3a513fb9f7e_zps

cheers to all !

Edited by sharknose156
  • Like 2

Even your rough sketch drawings are superb! Brilliant idea to not be satisfied with what was supplied. I applaud your high standards and we must be brothers under the skin. You have become obsessed with this car as I have with my Rolls. :frantic:

I will often look at something and be dissatisfied and - knowing it's down the rabbit hole again - I just start cobbling. I HATE myself knowing the hours I'm adding and frustrations to come but I can't stop myself. :suicide: God forbid I had a lathe and mill; I'd be remaking my 1:1 all over again in 1/8.

Beautiful work Sharkman. And yes, three's a minimum number for me. :banghead:

Edited by Codger

You see Sam ... right there! ..................... This alone makes you an affiliated member of the AMS (Advanced Modellers Syndrome) - and perversely these are my initials too, so I'm completely lost.

And although it's a frustration, like some form of OCD in your need to get it closer and closer to the original; it's also quite empowering - (and daunting) when you realise that the kit you've just innocently brought into your home does in fact contain tens if not hundreds of mini-kits ... all demanding your undivided attention. This is how I ended up with a Citroen Engine as a stand alone model - "anybody want to buy the rest of the kit" :weep: .

You'll also have realised now if not sooner that the hard part comes as you work "backwards and forwards" through the instructions, and the kit, and the build itself to make sure you haven't jiggered something up, or that you've accommodated some procedure or assembly or some other such fiddle-faddle!! ... this I think is what I procrastinate the most with - checking and checking and bliddy well checking again ............................... and of course, still getting it wrong and having to start over ... Grrrr!

Regardless ............... well done, you've raised the bar again for both yourself and us as we watch with much anticipation.

PS .............. You'll like the silk wire, I have some for the 806, it has an aluminium core which will flatten and take a .75mm hole easily - although I'm a little further away from that than yourself yet.

. And yes, three's a minimum number for me. :banghead:

Dear Codger, thank you for your comments and inspiration from your mythic Rolls build.

Like you if i had a lathe ( and my cc is vibrating for one ) i would probably redo too many parts.

( Not as well as VT but would spend much time trying :ike::elephant: )

However, i am not at your level by far Sir. I mean, look at your luggage racks, they are scratch built, micro welded without a knot and bent to the mm, AND THEN nickel plated... they look like jewlery and totally flawless ! :gobsmacked:

Yes the cursed rabitt hole.. we are doing these to have fun, honor these machines and the brains behind them. As you said once, "to please the eyes ( our own )".

i don't wish to knock Italeri because i am very grateful to them for producing such a beautiful kit in 1:12 with many rabbit holes...

Hopefully they will do the rest of the Pocher Classics...

Many thank yous

• Like 2

You see Sam ... right there! ..................... This alone makes you an affiliated member of the AMS (Advanced Modellers Syndrome)

Dear Andi,

hahaha yes AMS, another one of my many syndromes :hypnotised:

definitely empowering, confusing and frustrating all at the same time... but i am still way back compared to your experience and results.

Interesting what you say about the Citroen engine. I have written to Italeri to find out if i can purchase a stand alone engine, because it is worth a stand alone.

How would you solve the issue of building the roundel between the large and small cylinder, it has teeth !! so far i am opting for the flattened lead wire and cutting the teeth with the blade. however i can t get the exact look i want....

it is not a question of seeing it and therefore wanting it, but some parts of this engine are too interesting not to replicate...

Cheers Andi and thank you for your very valuable help :book:

Interesting what you say about the Citroen engine. I have written to Italeri to find out if i can purchase a stand alone engine, because it is worth a stand alone.

I say old bean, Italeri will be scratching their heads as the Citroen is a Heller kit, unless you mean the Mephisto engine as a stand alone. When I built my Mephisto the exact same thought came into my head :)

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 1

How would you solve the issue of building the roundel between the large and small cylinder, it has teeth !! so far i am opting for the flattened lead wire and cutting the teeth with the blade. however i can t get the exact look i want....

Sorry Sam .... you've got me there? I'll need a bit more information - are you referring to: the Citroen, the 806, or this Mestofele build, and which "roundels" are we talking about???.................

:coolio:

Andi, Steve, sorry about the confusion... yes i mean the Mephisto for both

Andi for the roundel i mean this part framed in this rough yellow ( sorry don t know how to use photobucket )

it is flat sealing the link between the large and small cylinder of the distributor box

right now am flattening a 0.7 mm lead wire and cutting the teeth, then painting it brass... i tried plastic card, palstic roundels ( too thick ), paper even but it is not as perfect as the lead spousing the curves of the cylinder

5a39feac-7df5-4f73-aecc-a154ca4b5186_zps

what do you think ?

sorry about the confusion !!!

Edited by sharknose156

Sam, based on this you're doing fine. ....................... But please remember your FIF! It's a sliding scale and everyone's is a little different. But no matter what, the law of diminishing returns applies, there does come a point where "no-one will see it, appreciate it, or understand it.

And I know there's the old maxim of "I'll know its there" but trust me that wears pretty thin after a while too ........................ TRUST ME, as some-one whom is probably still in recovery from "burn-out" what I'm suggesting here is in the interests of your own sanity and your personal mental health ............... You must ENJOY this, and if it's not turning you on - leave it off.

Which coincidently and rather fortuitously brings me to: .................................. This whole thing with the Lathe and advanced tooling - Stop it! Now. All that kind of kit and tackle is like some kind of modelling siren to us types, you'll end up playing more with the tools than the project. It's enviable to see and appreciate, but the truth is most everything you need to do at the level we work on can be accomplished with a household or cordless drill - anything else is "Model Engineering" not Model making - perhaps a subtle and ephemeral difference but I've drawn a line round about there and try my damnedest to NOT cross it. Again it will save your sanity and you'll be able to concentrate on what it is you're trying to achieve not how you're going to achieve it. ............... It really is a corrosive and toxic kind of envy - ask me how I know.

It may be as much about the individual as anything but you'll have to decide where your own personal line is drawn, I'm just saying, you don't actually need any of that stuff, it might just make things a bit more convenient or speed up the occasional process. In the interests of honesty I've recently acquired a wartime jewellers lathe, and it is amongst my dearest possessions, and I love to play with it, and wipe it down, and run just my hand over it as I walk by .................. BUT, used in anger it's nothing more that a domestic drill on a stable base - I rarely at all use the cross slide but rather just use it with gravers like a wood workers lathe.

And possibly the most telling thing is I waited for the best part of fifty years before I acquired it, and then it just sort of fell into my lap - and it would of been churlish to have turned it down. It was in a very neglected state and it took several months to renovate and set up - an enjoyable exercise in its own right I'll admit though.

Sorry if I've ranted on a little - but it's been a topic of conversation that I've felt has diverted focus into an area which contains Dragons. ....................... :worms:.. :P

Hahaha, both of you really ! wisdom and temptation :angel::pipe::devil::bouncy:

One thing for sure, thank you for making this more fun, more serious, more motivating and more interesting.

A promise from me; i owe you all for this, so i propose to fly over to meet you this summer, at a date convenient to all, and invite the whole 806 Gangshow for dinner and :cheers: and so we meet in person. Other friends on the thread welcome of course ! We could time it for a show, or an old car rally or visit some museum together. On my side i just need sufficient notice.

Edited by sharknose156

Sam, with the work you are doing on this kit, you ought to write a manual on how to superdetail this kit.

Wished I had your work to refer to before I did mine.

Have you figured out how to go about the chains? If I am not mistaken, the aftermarket bike chains will work, but you will need around 3 sets, costing more than the kit itself.

Dear Jeremy thank you. I am just improvising as i go along. :banghead:

On the chains my intention is to try and give the kit's chains a try.

If it does not work well, i am looking at solutions on the market but have not made my mind as to which.

Soon am traveling far from home, so will not have time to work on my bench.

This is when i will take light stuff with me, like the kit's chains and wheels and other stuff like decals, i can work on while traveling.

cheers !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen, hello.

After a couple of weeks of traveling, am finally back at my bench.

Nothing interesting to upload in terms of pictures. i am working on boring stuff preparing the pipes etc.

HOWEVER can anyone please help me understand in what material these two carburator air intakes (?) are made of ? the two covers painted in black ?

Thanks a mil. !! very few references and i never saw this type for a 1908 engine ?

it is said that 13'260 engines of this type were built, but i can not find a proper diagram or more pics of these "carburators" !!

Thanks a MIL !! :work:

air%20intakes%20copy_zps9d5uauso.jpg

Fiat-Mephistopheles_21_zpscyziixaa.jpg

Edited by sharknose156
  • Like 2

I have no first hand knowledge but take them for dense wire mesh. I'd guess they are parts from a modern restoration.

Glad to see you get back to this project Sam.

• Like 1

Gentlemen thank you very much for your kind words and comments.

i wrote the Fiat museum...but they reply with so much delay, if at all... probably tipping a round table to call the spirits who built the engine.

Sam looking it again this morning I really can't rule out the fact that it's something as crude as "gauze" fixed to the carburettor body with something removable like "Blu-Tac" or some other "Clay" like substance.

If you look at it with your "just off" peripheral vision it's quite easy to see an aperture at all these locations and one that fits quite comfortably with the idea of being a simple air intake.

....................... just my thoughts.

• Like 1