Hawker Fury print

Simon Cornes

Does anyone know who painted this please? I thought Turner/Wooton/Woodcock but I have Googled Turner and Wooton today with no luck. No signature - and that may just mean its covered by the mount - but I think its a lovely painting and the polished cowling is great.

Many thanks

Simon

Fury_zpsy2ewcgvl.jpg

• Like 1

I agree, it looks 'Turner-esque' As I originally suggested, maybe the signature is covered by the mount? It is a print by the way!! I Googled 'Picture of 1 Squadron Hawker Fury' and got nowhere. The serial is K2065 (1 Squadron from February 1932 according the to MMP book) but maybe the picture is called something else? Maybe I should do a search on all of Michael Turner's aircraft paintings!!

Hi, the image posted is a slightly cropped version of the painting 'Splendid Fury' by John Young, G.Av.A.

According to his book the original was in Oils 20ins by 30ins, and it shows a Fury of No.1 Squadron, RAF from Tangmere in the 1930s.

It features on page 45 of 'The Aviation Paintings of John Young' (which I've got here on my lap at home).

In the book image, his signature is below and to the right of the small cloud in the bottom right corner on part of the image not included here......and yes, I agree, it's lovely.

Cheers Bob.

Edited by bobsyouruncle

Bob,

Very many thanks for that! I have since googled it by title and, of course, I find it without difficulty. And the print can be had for just over a tenner!! My copy cost £15 and I was pleased because it was marked at £18 but, in reality, I've probably paid the right price - so its not a bargain but its a really good bit of aviation art if thats your thing!

Simon