Dambusting Tornado GR4 & Lancaster

So, I've been wanting to build aircraft from 617 for sometime, but have been waiting patiently for the new Revell release of the GR4.

Kit is a marked improvement on the Italeri and Hobbyboss kits. Only replacements were the seats, the WSO's MFD's and the wheels. Little cars lens added to the chin pod, and decals from Xtradecal. Painted with a mix of Tamiya, AK Xtreme metals.

The Lancaster is the 1:72 model from Airfix. A surprisingly awkward build with a number of warped parts. Fuselage windows were filled, bomb bay doors replaced with the bulged offering form Freightdog, to accommodate the Tallboy modifications. Decals from xtradecal to get a decent shade of red, and the nose art from the Kits world series.

2016-03-04%20at%2010-58-10_zpsaooitdqt.j

2016-03-04%20at%2010-57-48_zpsqfgpldmn.j

2016-03-04%20at%2010-57-11_zpsslvx9ieh.j

2016-03-04%20at%2010-54-32_zpsshe21gng.j

2016-03-04%20at%2010-53-20_zps91hvam1w.j

2016-03-04%20at%2011-01-34_zpsuabihl2r.j

2016-03-04%20at%2011-02-56_zpsxjvjbxin.j

2016-03-04%20at%2011-04-48_zpsrcimi32l.j

2016-03-04%20at%2011-07-03_zpsaqx2t9gi.j

• Like 40

Hello,Inverted - Two magnificently built and finished models there.They're also two magnificent tributes to the iconic 'Dambuster' Squadron.All the best,Paul.

Your rendition of the Revell Tornado really captures the look of the real thing. It looks as though it is a very nice kit.

I'm not as familiar with the Lancaster but I did see a static display of one in the Australian War Memorial a couple of months ago. The colour scheme looks spot on to me.

Good work on both.

Absolutely superb inverted, I'm just about to start the same Tonka with the same decals. Could you please tell me which paints you used for the overall grey and the grey reasons. I hope mind turns out half as good as yours, any pitfalls I should look out for?

Cheers

Ian

Absolutely superb inverted, I'm just about to start the same Tonka with the same decals. Could you please tell me which paints you used for the overall grey and the grey reasons. I hope mind turns out half as good as yours, any pitfalls I should look out for?

Cheers

Ian

Tamiya XF 83 Medium sea grey. The radome is Tamiya dark sea grey lightened with a touch of white. Friction are areas at the wing roots is a custom mix of msg and white with some sky grey too.

Pitfalls, build the rear section in its entirety before attaching the nose. The worst part is getting the outside faces of the intakes to align. Test fitting and adjusting before committing to glue is the order of the day.