using Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black

erewhon1872

Hi all,

I have a pot of Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black and as per usual all the instructions on the side are in Japanese.

Have seen videos where this has been used and it looks great, but cannot find anything that says how you thin it, what size airbrush needle to use or pressure to spray at.

I have both the Mr Colour ordinary and levelling thinner and I think they can be used to thin this I'd assume 50/50, but would like that to be confirmed?

So if anybody has used this primer and could give me the benefit of their knowledge I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

Pete

I'd just add some Mr Levelling thinner til it's the consistency of semi-skimmed milk. Give it a test spray, and then crack on after any adjustments :)

• Like 1

I haven't used 1500 grade (yet), but everything from 500 to 1200 and I usually thin with regular lacquer(cellulose) thinner, but more like a 30/70 surfacer to thinner ratio or even thinner. For a very smooth top finish I'd ad retarder or use levelling thinner as this give it a bit more time to lay flat before drying.

I use a 0.4 mm needle (H&S) and at around 15psi (at the compressor) but these things can vary a lot from setup to setup.

J

I have read that if you go back over the Mr Surfacer with the Levelling Thinners it will smooth the Mr Surfacer even more. I haven't tried this yet so don't take my word for it without testing it on a scrapper.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I've heard thinning it 50/50 with Mr Levelling Thinner works well, and that was for a 0.3mm needle. I've been meaning to try it but I also have the stuff in rattle cans, which has been working well for me to date!

thanks to all for the replies, looks like I'll have to experiment with a 50/50 mix of the surfacer and the Mr Levelling thinner and see what the results are. I appreciate the advice yo use cellulose thinners but as I'm spraying indoors and if spraying it is anything like using it to clean brushes with the liquid thinner on them then it will stink to high heaven and I don't really think I could stand those sort of fumes.

Thanks again,

Pete

Leveling thinner is a laquer thinner, it will all stink to high heaven I am afraid, though maybe not as much as raw cellulose thinner. It's still best not to sniff it though. If you don't want too much smell try stynylrez, of just use a tamiya grey paint.

Leveling thinner is a laquer thinner, it will all stink to high heaven I am afraid, though maybe not as much as raw cellulose thinner. It's still best not to sniff it though. If you don't want too much smell try stynylrez, of just use a tamiya grey paint.

I use the levelling thinner with Mr. Hobby paints and while it smells a little it is manageable indoors, the cellulose thinner is much stronger and while I don't mind dipping a brush in it and getting the bottle top on again ASAP the idea of atomising it in a spray.............. well, it's not for me thanks.

• Like 1

Mr Levelling Thinners is one of the least odorous and pleasant smelling cellulose thinners on the market, and I've smelled some doozies over the years :wacko: I'd still recommend wearing a mask and getting plenty of ventilation on the subject if you haven't got a spray booth, but it's good stuff :)

• Like 1

...you guys are not old school then I guess... :bling: when I started out as a kid I always modelled in my parent's basement, plenty of enamel paint, glue and thinners for hours... It's just not modelling without the smell :bounce: .

I know about the health implications and now always spray with an open window and an extractor booth. I tried using a mask for a while but it just kept interfering with my glasses so I gave up on that.

I use the grey version with levelling thinner. Works great but I make sure I spray it on in a light coat, then a heaver wet coat. I thin it idk roughly 50:50 and it sprays well. At first it might seem you have put too much on but it cures and 'reduces' a lot. I still give it a light micro mesh though before paint to make it super smooth, depends on the finish you want I guess.