1/32 Wild Hare F-16XL, Project SCAMP Complete.

Here you go all, one custom made F-16XL with just a little modification or two.happy.gif The bleaching effect is much better by eye, I just can not get the light right today, thanks for those who followed the project, I pass the torch to the next modeller that wants to have a go at this kit.
102_4477.jpg
102_4478.jpg
102_4443.jpg
102_4447.jpg
102_4449.jpg
102_4450.jpg
102_4451.jpg
102_4453.jpg
102_4454.jpg
102_4455.jpg
102_4456.jpg
102_4458.jpg
102_4473.jpg

For a bit of perspective this is my very old and naff Revell/Kangham F-16XL, made many years ago, oh the horror.happy.gif102_4468.jpg
Well that is me done for a while, the next project is converting my garage into a proper workshop. I moved house back in November and I have been waiting for Spring so I can get cracking, naturally there will be a small WIP. happy.gif
Kermit_1.jpg

Thanks for looking
Regards
Danny
www.modelmasteruk.com
Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 23

Nearly forgot the modification list, i tried to cover most of it but some bits were just a little too difficult.

1. NSI Intake, the Big Mouth is fitted to the second two seat F-16XL, a full resin NSI intake is provided, and it is seamless to a point, essentially a direct copy of the Thunderbird kit parts. NAV light reinforcement plate still in place, need to be removed.

2. 48,00Ib landing gear was fitted to F-16XL, 849 (F-16CJ kit).

3. Block 40 wheels. (Isracast)

4. Bulged main gear bay doors (F-16CJ kit), resin doors supplied are of no use.

5. Bulged gear bay doors, need to check the closing/retraction bracket arrangement, not that much difference and no reference material.

6. Norwegian Type Drag Chute. (supplied)

7. Check cockpit glare shield accuracy, resolved best as possible.

8. Leading Edge Crank/Flap Under curl/profile, need to check all spans, not practical to correct.

9. Thickness of ISA Booms, not practical to correct.

10. Nav Lights on each side of the NSI intake, reinforcement place needs to be removed.

11. Fill seam on intake join to duct. N/A

12. Modify angle of RAM Ducts above the NSI

13. Modify angle of RAM Ducts above the APU behind rear gear bay both sides.

14. Fill and re scribe the panel detail either side of the tail, should be fuel panels going up as per the adjacent ones.

15. Two small antennae required behind the nose landing gear.

16. Two small antennae required forward of the nose landing gear.

17. Two small antennae required forward of refuel point.

18. Small round access plate between two antennae forward of re fuel point.

19. Aces II Ejection seat, supplied with resin cockpits.

20. Early F-16A Cockpit required, need to check for any further changes later on in the NASA program, further images required.

21. Forward Avionics bay in front of canopy has no hinge detail, graft this area from the CJ Donor kit to rectify.

22. Reposition the gun bay and associated ports to correct position on Portside, need to be further up slope.

23. The panel lines for the PDU Bay, Gun Drum Bay , Gun Trough, Gun access door with vent, and, all need to be re-scribed.

24. Gun bay Starboard side port missing, check and graft as required.

25. Fuselage plugs details, lots of issues here, long story short to increase the length of the fuselage 2 plugs were fitted, 30” wide on forward area and 26” for the aft. In scale this has been replicated but the surface details need to be corrected on the upper surfaces, re scribe or graft.

26. Rear fuselage lower plug Empennage Cant, quite a big problem on the underside as the plug has been positioned in the wrong place giving a much more acute angle up to the burner. I think the best option will be to cut these area out and graft in the correct details from the donor kit.

27. Top spine/center line antennae missing.

28. Top spine/center line IFR light missing, new panel grafted in from donor kit.

29. Spin Chute Reinforcement strips each side of tail on upper fuselage, missing.(NASA onward)

30. 4 x spin chute mounting brackets, 2 per side after reinforcement strips.

31. Check Pitot boom for shape and length, check, kit one is not long enough, pitot for the XL is a little longer.

32. Throttle bulge on port side of forward fuselage, check.

33. All TACAN/UHF/VHF/& other SI antennas, missing check.

34. Pre bulge just fore of the MLG doors, check, cannot see any evidence form it.

35. C Band Beacon, check where etc, reference material.

36. Store Separation Cameras, N/A for the version being built.

37. Recesses for Dummy AMRAAM, check.

38. Two ventral tails on the rear underside not fitted to the XL.

39. Fit in flight test cameras including panel below each side of the rear canopy.

40. Fit in flight test cameras to each side of vertical tail, middle top.

41. Need the correct inlet compressor face, spare in Academy F-16.

42. Port and Starboard air intake scoops, leading edge angle.

43. Remove round access plate in front of the refueling port light.

44. Air Data Probe, bottom side, behind Radome.

45. Air Data Probe, port side, behind Radome

46. Air Data Probe, above intake, Starboard side.

47. AOA probes each side of radome, with an additional one on the port side.

48. Fit landing lights to heavyweight landing gear.

49. Fit kit airbrakes as the resin ones supplied are too short.

50. Fit 16S210 wing tip launch rails, LAU-128 incorrect.

51. Fit Static Discharge WIP to top of the vertical tail.

52. Airbrake warning decals, white and black.

53. Red decal border around APU flap, port side.

54. Late version XL has a light grey central fuselage.

Great job and different.

Guy

• Like 1

Great project, execution and result. I really like it a lot!! The F-16XL is just such an attractive plane, a shame that it didn't make it into production.

I have the Skunkmodels 1:48 kit and will use your WIP's as a guide to try and make it accurate (one day...). I'll try and get the Attic book(s) as well. I wonder if 849, in the paint scheme you've built, every flew with the spin chute attached? That would make a very interesting looking model...

Cheers

Jeffrey

• Like 1

Lovely work and the list of adjustments and corrections is a feat in itself.

The Revell "F-16XL" is probably the only model I've physically thrown in the bin for no reason other than I couldn't bear trying to build it anymore!

Nice work! :clap2:

Al

• Like 1

Great project, execution and result. I really like it a lot!! The F-16XL is just such an attractive plane, a shame that it didn't make it into production.

I have the Skunkmodels 1:48 kit and will use your WIP's as a guide to try and make it accurate (one day...). I'll try and get the Attic book(s) as well. I wonder if 849, in the paint scheme you've built, every flew with the spin chute attached? That would make a very interesting looking model...

Cheers

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey, not sure about spid chutes on the second XL, you will have to do a bit of research..

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Lovely work and the list of adjustments and corrections is a feat in itself.

The Revell "F-16XL" is probably the only model I've physically thrown in the bin for no reason other than I couldn't bear trying to build it anymore!

Nice work! :clap2:

Al

I kow what you mean about the Revell kit, it will be off to the spare parts box before long, just interesting to use as perspective up against the Wild Hare kit though in saying that it was alro far from accurate and needed alot of work but it was a better start point.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

stunning build. great job on the paint and finish. really enjoyed following this one and hope that can learn from some the techniques you have described. great job and thanks for a great wip.

• Like 1

Cheers

Jeffrey

In the USAF eval, XL-2 was never fitted with a spin chute. None of the pictures I've seen of it in NASA service have the fittings for a spin chute either.

Sven

Old Viper Tester

• Like 1

stunning build. great job on the paint and finish. really enjoyed following this one and hope that can learn from some the techniques you have described. great job and thanks for a great wip.

No worries my friend, it is a rare bird so I felt a proper WIP regardless of the end result was the way to go, glad you could follow along.

Thanks for looking.

Danny.

In the USAF eval, XL-2 was never fitted with a spin chute. None of the pictures I've seen of it in NASA service have the fittings for a spin chute either.

Sven

Old Viper Tester

I had a look again this morning and I think Sven is correct, building it with the staggered wing on the port side would be really interesting, I have not seen that done as yet.

Danny

That's a really outstanding job, I loved your A-12's and SR-71's and this does not disappoint. Good luck with your workspace build.

Thank you my friend, more large scale Blackbirds to do in the future including a trick M-21, Off to the garage now to make a start, I will upload the new Den when it is complete.

Thanks for looking.

Danny.