Henshaw's Mew Gull Cape Dash

Red five

Have a look here: https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1939/1939%20-%200421.PDF

There's another photo in "Flight of the Mew Gull" taken at Wingfield which shows oil stains and streaks from the back and sides of the engine cowling. Haven't seen this on the net. I'd have to search through all the cuttings from various mags to see if there are any more. If not, I can send you a scan from the book in a couple of days.

I'd also guess that there were stains around the fuel fillers.

Flight mechanics usually gave the aircraft a check-over at the bigger airfields as well as looking after the refuelling. I guess they'd also give it a wipe over when they'd finished.

Surprising how few photos there are but it was a fairly low key affair until Henshaw got back to the UK.

Also just found these: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?126454-Mew-Gull-Pictures

Dave

Edited by Fastcat

Hello, thanks for the replies, and fastcat thanks for the links.

Have another photo wot I took last week. The Harvard or Texan ( I forget which) in the background has a semi naked lady painted on one side. One lady walked by and was extremely vocal that is was disgusting and ahold be covered up. The Outrage!

image_zpssdev4rbj.jpg

I'm reading Alex Henshaws excellent book about the Mew Gull now, an absolutely cracking read. I may not start the model until early April as the big comet needs a fair bit of work to give a nice smooth finish after some modifications I have made and have still to make. I just spent two hours making two fuel priming pumps!

image_zpswdaoador.jpg

See my selfie above.

The Mew Gull kit looks a lot easier. I've Seen a few of bits that need changing and a few screws and rivets to add but it should be a quick build ( for me two months). It would be nice to add some minimal oil stains to add scale. I may have look in May when I see it fly (I go to all the Shuttleworth displays) as it is dragged back to the hanger. I do like to add dirt and oil where it should be rather than where it looks good .

Thanks

Andrew

Edited by Red five