Hi Guys, I havnt been out in the shed building many models lately... the winter has seen to that! So, instead I have started dabbling with modelling of a different sort, 3D models.

The Meshes are downloaded for free online and rendered by myself in Lightwave and finished off in Photoshop. So far I have done a few dozen, so rather than linking them all here, I will show you a few and give a link to my FB page where I upload them.

Hope you enjoy!
Chris

https://www.facebook.com/chriscardwellmodels/

Untitled-1_zpskfnfemy0.jpg

SD_Interior_rgb_0001_zpss9m0d9b5.jpg

nx-74205030_zpsfokdeqn8.jpg

Enterprise%20shuttle%20gal_zpsp1ihciyn.j

Pacifica%20Drydock_zpswwbmdnwk.jpg

unnamed_rgb_0001%202_zpsyqp2dxri.jpg

Edited by chris1984_99_99
  • Like 7

Seems like there's a few 3D-ers among us...

I 'painted' the faeries using my own models etc, created in Poser and then Photoshop.

The Indy book cover was painted the old way - with a brush...

Roy.

linda%201_zpsizlzwkzt.jpg

sam%20sleeping_zpshsys245x.jpg

indy_zpswmp7ynsj.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 4

Ah, poser, yes, ummm. LOL :D

Yes - it does have a 'naughty' following with some of it...

But as a 3D prog, it's flippin' good. The lighting and shading tools are brilliant.

I stuck with Poser 5.

I think they passed version 12 ages ago.

Haven't used it in a long time though. Maybe need to have another bash.

• Like 1

Excellent renders, gentlemen! I'm a bit of a '3D-er' myself. Below is a portrait I did in DAZ 3D, which is a programme that's similar to Poser, only easier to use, I think. To me it's still modelling, except that the models only exist in the computer. Enjoy!

Best Regards,

Jason

BC%20Space%20Warrior%20-%20Without%20Hel

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2

I Love those Renders Andrew! I may have to pick your brains on a few things as I am still learning!! Did you build the meshes yourself or download them?

Feel free to contact me on Facebook Chris, I'm always around. I'm a lightingFX artist, so most of my work is layout. I tend to work with Alain Rivard (BSG, ST VOY) and a few other well known talented modellers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice Chris, however one small point if I may, you have a shot on the page using a Y Wing, an A Wing, X Wings and a Blockade runner. I believe the Y Wing and A Wing models are mine. I would appreciate it if you credited me correctly, to my knowledge Tan J has never made any star wars models. Thanks

Pete, it depends on your budget and what you want to do. Do you have a lot of quid and a desire to become a professional, or do you just want to be a hobbyist (I suspect many professionals started out as hobbyists)? In terms of programmes, you can go from free to many thousands of dollars.

Regards,

Jason

Nice stuff to see here, is the thread intended to be only for renders or also for 3D sculpting? I do sculpt a lot in 3D but I don't do fancy renders as the models I make are intended for printing only, so everything I could show would be in just one color.

• Like 1

Nice stuff to see here, is the thread intended to be only for renders or also for 3D sculpting? I do sculpt a lot in 3D but I don't do fancy renders as the models I make are intended for printing only, so everything I could show would be in just one color.

You post away buddy and if you want some of those sculpts rendered in full colour, shout :D

Pete, it depends on your budget and what you want to do. Do you have a lot of quid and a desire to become a professional, or do you just want to be a hobbyist (I suspect many professionals started out as hobbyists)? In terms of programmes, you can go from free to many thousands of dollars.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason,

Do I have lots of quid ... nope .... poor as a very poor church mouse.

Lots of desire ... I wish ...

Lots of free time to learn something new ... argh ...

Maybe when I retire :)

Thanks again.

Pete

• Like 1

You're welcome, Pete! It does take a lot of time - kind of like plastic modelling. And like plastic modelling you can become mediocre in it in a reasonable amount of time, but to become a 'master' in 3-D modelling takes a very long time indeed. I like to think I'm somewhere between mediocre and master, and probably more towards the mediocre end.

Best Regards,

Jason

Awesome ... awesome .... and thrice awesome.

For a complete novice (i.e. me) how do you get started? Do you purchase Lightwave? So many questions.

Cheers

Pete

Pete, drop me a message and I will help where I can. If you are on a very tight budget you can always try blender, it has a tremendous following and masses of support and best of all it's free :)

If you are looking for lightwave then you can try fully functional demo versions for 30 days from Newtek and oftenb you will find someone selling a slightly older version cheap on ebay.

• 2 weeks later...

Took me a while to find the thread back. I'll just go ahead and post pics of some sculpts I did, as mentioned before, these were all made to be 3D printed, so none of them got any color or textures. All models have been made using Zbrush.

Moisture evaporator and according droid to go with it and some barrels:

evaporatorunddroide4nsi3.pngscifibarrelsn4zh9.jpg

An energy generator and a satelite dish:

generatornpyw6.jpgmobilesatfoykd.jpg

A whole load of boxes, you can never have enough boxes...

cargobox521xb5.jpgcargobox1joaes.jpgcargobox2fxx49.jpgcargobox4urbvz.jpg

gas7ybc6.jpg

And a few gun turrets:

sentry26wuiq.jpgrailturret3gu0e.jpg

Some sci fi-ish airless tires, no more flats, no more tears.

airlesstires2vjkp5.jpgairlesstiresspj9w.jpg

These are all simpler models, now come a few more elaborate ones:

A brandnew Kriss vector K10, I think these new guns finally start looking sci fi.

krissk1045acp3skka.png

A VTOL for 15mm sci fi tabletop gaming:

vtolwipoij1m.jpg

A motion tracker from Aliens and a freshly printed pulse rifle:

motiontrackerspq3h.jpgartiscreen5bbxq.jpgpulseriflehwszc.jpgwp_20150723_001yzuh2.jpg

A lovetoy also based on Alien. Sorry couldn't resist to post it. :fool:

aliendildojnk2c.jpg

An alien doglike creature, called it daggerpaw went ahead and also printed the pooch, unfortunately it is really hard to see the wrinkly skin texture due to the transparent material used:

pifket5uho.jpg

A quadruped mecha:

edmech3r3jrh.jpg

mechdone1ojkey.jpgmechdone2mfj1m.jpg

This guy is completely poseable as I made joints for all the individual parts to make the final model more dynamic.

An air whale hunting vehicle:

whalehunteriystn.jpg

If you are interested, you can see some of the models in 3D on sketchfab, here's the link to my model gallery: https://sketchfab.com/matiwashere/models

Should anyone of you also use Zbrush and be interested in some Alphas or Brush exchange, just drop me a line.

And the only sculpt I painted in Zbrush and Photoshop:

atua0qh8.jpg

Cheers and thanks for looking!

• Like 4