Rothmans Porsche 956 in the pits ( adapted from the Tamiya 1/24 kit )

Borez

It's basically all over the Alclad, you can see it here. I think I'll just give it another coat at some point, it'll be far easier than trying to rub it off. Interestingly it's only on the underside and not the top.

oCJMdPP.jpg

Ah yes, wow thats really gone weird! did you use primer before the alclad? and if so which primer did you use?

You could try spraying over but if its an issue with the primer then the same thing will happen again

Ah yes, wow thats really gone weird! did you use primer before the alclad? and if so which primer did you use?

You could try spraying over but if its an issue with the primer then the same thing will happen again

I used the Alclad gloss black primer. It was fine before I used masking tape on it ( Tamiya masking tape too ) I haven't been able to recreate this on my test piece either using exactly the same techniques. Maybe it just wasn't completely 100% dry or maybe the coat was too thick. ( didn't seem that way at the time, I used thin coats. )

edit: actually I just ripped off the tape on the other side of my test piece, same thing. It pulls some of the paint from the gloss black primer. The test piece has been dry for over a week too. Weird.

Another coat of Alclad should fix it I'm thinking.

Edited by Borez

What a bummer borez, I don't think it's a paint issue as I have had the same problem a number of times when using tamiya tape. on other forums i have read If the tape at any point has been exposed to high heats, not just when it's being used, the stuff they use for the sticky bit melts or to that effect and detaches from the yellow part of the tape leaving the gunk behind.

Best tape to use is proper automotive tape, it's not much more than tamiya tape and comes in more widths or even try the new flexible tamiya tape to see if they have changed the method they use.

Shaun

Edited by shood23

What a bummer borez, I don't think it's a paint issue as I have had the same problem a number of times when using tamiya tape. on other forums i have read If the tape at any point has been exposed to high heats, not just when it's being used, the stuff they use for the sticky bit melts or to that effect and detaches from the yellow part of the tape leaving the gunk behind.

Best tape to use is proper automotive tape, it's not much more than tamiya tape and comes in more widths or even try the new flexible tamiya tape to see if they have changed the method they use.

Shaun

Interesting you say that Shaun because the parts that aren't effected were covered in 10mm automotive masking tape and the other parts ( the bad ones ) were 50mm Kamoi tape ( thought it was Tamiya, it's not )

I guess a lesson learned there.

• Like 1

Ooooh!

Just had a first look at my painted tub ( with some placed PE parts and racing seat ) and the Alclad polished aluminium looks really nice.

q3NmDIL.jpg

So nice in fact I have PE cover for the intercoolers and I'm really not sure if I'm going to actually need them.

ngLj0V6.jpg

Very shiny. :)

• Like 2

Just a little update. Been away touring + I'm still waiting for some detailing bits and pieces to arrive.

Primer coat on the bodywork is now pretty much done.

TN7AbKa.jpg

Tried my hand at a little gearbox detailing using an acrylic capillary wash ( just Tamiya paint and thinners ) Definitely looks a lot more realistic than the standard plastic. I want that kind of dirty raced a few laps look to the engine and gearbox.

RcBVK3K.jpg

I4U1HHV.jpg

KwuvXPi.jpg

Tried it on some engine parts too ( although these won't be used in the final model ) One of the cylinder heads is not detailed in the pic for comparison.

15xFIr5.jpg

I'll definitely be detailing the rest of the engine and chassis this way.

Then scratch built these tiny fluid bottles that will sit in the back of the tub under the motronic. The top pipe is not trimmed to size yet.

OqUXHlp.jpg

8H1vT57.jpg

xVyr26O.jpg

Speaking of engine detailing though I found this Japanese guy who's built and moulded his own detailing upgrade kit for the Tamiya 956 engine.

Couldn't pass this up at all. There's one on its way to me. Totally looking forward to getting my teeth into it.

And that's it for now really.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3

A simple wash makes an amazing difference, doesn't it?! Looking really nice as it is, but that engine update set looks incredible! Looking forward to seeing you put that together!

Keith

The wash really does make all the difference, something I'll be working on more.

I'm actually pretty excited about that engine kit, hope I can do it justice Keith.

Just a little update. Been away touring + I'm still waiting for some detailing bits and pieces to arrive.

Primer coat on the bodywork is now pretty much done.

TN7AbKa.jpg

Tried my hand at a little gearbox detailing using an acrylic capillary wash ( just Tamiya paint and thinners ) Definitely looks a lot more realistic than the standard plastic. I want that kind of dirty raced a few laps look to the engine and gearbox.

RcBVK3K.jpg

I4U1HHV.jpg

KwuvXPi.jpg

Tried it on some engine parts too ( although these won't be used in the final model ) One of the cylinder heads is not detailed in the pic for comparison.

15xFIr5.jpg

I'll definitely be detailing the rest of the engine and chassis this way.

Then scratch built these tiny fluid bottles that will sit in the back of the tub under the motronic. The top pipe is not trimmed to size yet.

OqUXHlp.jpg

8H1vT57.jpg

xVyr26O.jpg

Speaking of engine detailing though I found this Japanese guy who's built and moulded his own detailing upgrade kit for the Tamiya 956 engine.

Couldn't pass this up at all. There's one on its way to me. Totally looking forward to getting my teeth into it.

And that's it for now really.

Thanks for looking.

Nice work on the wash! Once you start doing washes and get the hang of it you will never go back to unwashed bits especially engine sections.

As for the Japanese guy, have you seen his 956 builds? Its on a stupidly amazing level, I can send you the link to his build but do you really want to see it? It might make you go crazy :)

• Like 1

Nice work on the wash! Once you start doing washes and get the hang of it you will never go back to unwashed bits especially engine sections.

As for the Japanese guy, have you seen his 956 builds? Its on a stupidly amazing level, I can send you the link to his build but do you really want to see it? It might make you go crazy :)

Yes. I've see his builds mate, they're something else. :)

• Like 1

Engine upgrade kit has arrive:

tUZscxa.jpg

These parts are exceptionally well moulded, presented and finished, the only prep that's going to need doing is some drilling and obviously the painting. The detail is fantastic on them.

:)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 1

Looks great borez can't wait to see what the engine adds to the model. Also have you got any links this guy's 956 build you were talking about?

Shaun

Yes Shaun, the build is here on the F1M forum. You need to be a member to view all of the photos though and some of the photos no longer exist for some reason but you can see his complete car and engine at the end of the build without being a member.

Edited by Borez

So I managed to get a start on the engine upgrade kit over the last couple of days, drilled some of the tiny holes in the injectors and fuel line pieces ( not easy as there's real tendency for the holes to go through the side walls of the pieces if the drilling angle is not spot on, and trying to get the drilling angle spot on when it's actually difficult to see is no easy task! )

Prepped some of the pieces for priming today.

Fan assembly, alternator, cylinder heads ( already drilled out for the plugs, ) cylinder block front and air intake.

TaIzSsy.jpg

These pieces are absolutely tiny, the assembly is like watch making. Now I know our Japanese friend is looking in on this thread so fair play mate, I can't even imagine the work it must have taken to actually mould these pieces. :)

Distributor, oil pipes, coolant manifolds, oil pressure sensor, water pump and some hose joints.

gNQdfv4.jpg

And primed:

J6ZUrxi.jpg

Next will be the paint and then I'll start assembling proper around the original Tamiya engine block.

Can't decide Aluminium or Dark Aluminium for the cylinder heads yet? The block will be aluminium.

So that's pretty much half of the many parts in this kit primed.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3

So managed to do some bits today ( I have a pretty heavy touring schedule at the moment so I'm getting stuff done as and when I'm actually home )

Alclad aluminium on the block and cylinder heads + other bits. My scratch built bottle bank ( on the left ) is starting to look nice too.

TiNQzx5.jpg

Alclad Pale burnt metal on various gears, cogs, brackets etc. Not sure if a little gold for my tastes though but might be nice after a wash.

The fan won't be this colour though, I want it a kinda yellow/buff/mucky/plastic colour

pXWgE1D.jpg

Alclad black gloss on the air intake and some pipework ready for a Chrome and Polished aluminium final coat.

Zoz2XCm.jpg

Also bought a decent quality miniature drill bit set as I felt the cheap Ebay drills I bought just weren't really up to the job ( they had no real sharp points and just didn't bite properly for starters )

The difference is night and day, finding it much easier to get the job done accurately now.

Drilling out one of four 0.6mm fuel lines ( If someone had told me I'd be drilling something this small 3 months ago I'd have probably laughed at them as patience has never been more strongest quality. )

LfheVTj.jpg

12 x 0.7mm holes in the injectors

Tl37yKw.jpg

And a test fit of the assembly ( obviously it'll be neater in the final fitting ) There are two of these, one for each cylinder bank.

3KjujKI.jpg

And that's it for now. I'm at home tomorrow too so I'll get a few more bits and pieces done.

Off to watch the Australian GP. :winkgrin:

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3

Started to assemble some of the engine this afternoon: cylinder heads, alternator, some of the pulleys, fan housing and the block end onto the main Tamiya block.

Could do with a decent DSLR and macro lens here though, my cameraphone is having trouble focusing.

jWfg2JV.jpg

DQUA9l4.jpg

Also tried it with the gearbox

fZp4Qr2.jpg

Will start detailing and using some washes probably tomorrow.

Thanks for looking ;)

• Like 3

Wow those engine parts really look the part and add a great level of detail to the kit, I will have to enquire to see if I can get my hands on a set at some point.

Shaun

Yes, our Japanese friend has done an amazing job of designing and moulding these tiny parts. They're very impressive.

This is not even half the parts here either.

He sent me an email the other day asking if I'd be interesting in a gearbox and rear suspension upgrade kit he's working on too. Very tempted.

For anyone else interested his site is here.

Edited by Borez

Managed to get a good few hours on this engine last night ( until the small wee hours )

This is where I left it at 3am.

qvbREyh.jpg

8iBMlyW.jpg

2tWl2k9.jpg

I've had a day off today so I've been building the two injector assemblies. No real issues apart from the tiny size. They do involve quite a lot of drilling on both the pipe ends and the injectors themselves.

The parts come like this:

2s3vGvd.png

Assembled and test fitting:

GBoXB2H.jpg

pg1ChVA.jpg

And then prepped for priming with the Intake manifold

3w9F6s6.jpg

And primed. You really start to see the lovely level of detail in these pieces once you get a bit of primer on them. Such a shame my camera is not good enough to get right in on them.

mkfM5y3.jpg

pX8ePk2.jpg

Also the air intake manifold paint is finished ( Alclad Polished aluminium over gloss black )

9bCAjp5.jpg

All coming along nicely. Really enjoying this build, the engine upgrade is like a whole other model kit in itself.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

3 am ??!! Good grief, I don't think my eyes would focus on a real engine at that time these days! Doesn't look like you have any problems in that regard though, because there's some lovely neat, intricate, work going on there!

Looks lovely!

Keith

• Like 1