Lockheed EC-121 Warning Star Rare Plane 1/72

kalle

Hi,

Here comes my try to make Lockheed EC-121 Warning Star from Rare Plane vacu. Maybe it was better to take Heller, but since I have this old Rare Plane for many years, so I give a try.

spacer.png

I started to invest to this project some two years ago, when I started to buy extras to make this build little better. Now I have Caracal Model decals, Plus Models engine cowlings and undercarriage and wheel bays. Fisher Model & Patern radomes, props and tip tanks, Modelshack engines and Scale Aircraft Conversions landing gears.

spacer.png

And this part I´m using from Rare Planes box

spacer.png

After sanding parts out I started to make reinforcements to the wing and fuselage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mixing oldschool with new items..not the easiest fix

spacer.png

And after more cutting, sanding, glue and tape it was time to put fuselage and wings together:

spacer.png

So here I am sanding, cutting and glueing.. and it is too late to turn back now :)

Thanks for looking,

Kalle

Edited by kalle
  • Like 15

Was that balsa that you used to strengthen the wings?

Gondor

These are styrene strips. Some taken from Evergreen, but mainly cut form old soviet time big drawer divider, that turns out to be made of pure styrene:)

Thanks for the support guys,

Kk

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,

And no.. this build is not dead :) Against all odds and slowing things this is my progress.

PEC121V16.jpg

PEC121V17.jpg

PEC121V18.jpg

PEC121V19.jpg

PEC121V22.jpg

PEC121V21.jpg

PEC121V20.jpg

PEC121V23.jpg

Here you can see the wing tip removed as shown in Rareplane instruction. Wrong..too short and again glue and syren is helping to fix this error

PEC121V24.jpg

PEC121V25.jpg

PEC121V27.jpg

So here I am and I can see the light in the end of the tunnel:)

BR,

Kalle

Edited by kalle
  • Like 11

This as the staate of art multi media model!!!!

You've been brave, choosing a vac- formed kit of these dimensions, but the result is outstanding. The addition of the resin engins and other bits makes it even better.

I love it!!!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 2

Great job, Kallie!

It's great to watch a big vacuform coming together.  I'd like to ask you a question -- the engine casting appear to be "smash" molded? At lease I don't see any pour stubs. Can you elaborate on your methods of doing this?

Ed

• 2 months later...

I just need to add this one image right now. More to come. Some little things

more and it is finished. Or maybe it`s just finished:) Some can always do better, but in this point this is looks little like warning star to me.

I have Airmodel vacu Douglas C-124 Globemaster II in stash.. maybe some day I take it down too:)

PEC121V28.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Kk

Edited by kalle
  • Like 7

On 10.11.2017 at 6:14 AM, TheRealMrEd said:

I'd like to ask you a question -- the engine casting appear to be "smash" molded? At lease I don't see any pour stubs. Can you elaborate on your methods of doing this?

Sorry I missed this question. I "cloned" these from original Modelshack resin engines  using plastalina clay and two component silicone for mold.

Kk

Very nice. I had one of these in my loft since the 1970s but was never brave enough to build it. I sold it on the global auction site and hope it made someone happy :).

Martin