Lufthansa Ju 52: Silver or Light Grey?

Graham Boak

I realise this is probably waaaay too late to inform your model, Graham - sorry!

In any event, it will hopefully extend an interesting conversation.

I have a copy of the book 'Eurasia Aviation Corporation, Junkers & Lufthansa in China 1931-1943' and some of the good close-up shots of Eurasia Ju 52s appear - to my eye - to show the aircraft to be painted in an anodised-like, very light greyish finish. I say anodised-like because I feel there's just a hint of a metallic sheen in the finish, but nothing like the metallic finish on the aircraft shown at the bottom of this post. If you have access to the Eurasia book, the photos are on page 49, 50 and 81.

This video has some good views of a Eurasia Ju 52 that highlights what's in the book described above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqH7SmLPbNo 

Interestingly, the Junkers F 13s, W 33s and W 34s shown in the Eurasia book also give me the impression of being finished in a similar anodised-like light greyish colour.

This video shows a Eurasia F 13 with the aforementioned finish (1:19 to 1:23): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXxYJh1qzpY

If not already seen, any thoughts on the finish of the aircraft below?

0348774.jpg

• Thanks 1

My opinion on that one is polished natural metal in some areas, if not overall.  Much beyond that I can't say, but it certainly isn't like the near-white seen on many examples.

You needn't worry about being too late.  The model remains much at its previous state.  I did decide to go with Silbergrau (Colour Coats) but after painting part of it I decided that this was a little too dark.  I remain uncertain whether this very light appearance is due to a lighter colour paint, a film/filter effect or fading of a darker colour as the commonly-seen effect of RLM 63.  Or the more general effect that colours do look lighter when on aircraft than on models, which you might call scale effect but I think is a matter of reflecting more light into the eye.  I have more-or-less decided to go with Silbergrau, or perhaps Colour Coats L40/52, but remain in hope that more definite information may appear before a gap opens in the modelling schedules.

I don't have the Eurasia book, but do have the series of works on the Junkers family of airliners which provides many good clear photos.  Not that others aren't welcome, but my interest is more in the aircraft than in airline histories.

PS  It is always possible that Olympiade D-ALYL was done in an individual scheme for propaganda purposes, but its light appearance is seen on lots of other examples.

• Thanks 1

I do not know if this brings any further aspects into the discussion or clouds everything up further, but googling for RAL 9006 (I had similar thoughts as @Doc72), I found this, which may or may not be relevant (RAL 9006 White aluminium (RAL Classic) | RALcolorchart.com - my bolds):

"There is one major difference on RAL 9006 and RAL 9007 from the rest of the 213 RAL Classic colors, which are all opaque colors in different hues suitable for all colored materials. With every new edition these color samples can be produced within a very precise tolerance. This does not hold true for RAL 9006 and RAL 9007.

Both colors originate from the corrosion protection program of the former Reichsbahn (German state railway). They were mandatory for corrosion protection of steelwork (train stations, bridges etc.) and rolling stock (roofs etc.). The colors also had similar functions in the former German air force and navy. They were never intended to be used for decorative purposes. RAL 9006 is essentially produced using aluminum particles, and RAL 9007 with iron oxide in a layered structure with small amounts of aluminum powder. The Reichsbahn registered all its colors with RAL to enable it to use them as references when placing orders. Therefore RAL 9006 and RAL 9007 were included, but since the 1970's their inclusion has led to misunderstandings.

Recently metallic colors have become popular for all sorts of architectural uses (window frames, shop floors etc). RAL 9006 and RAL 9007 were then used by the market to indicate requirements, even though there was no uniform finish in existence for the standards. In addition, both colors need a transparent layer in order to use them for decorative surfaces. This often results in a classification as a special coating at a special price level. Problems often occur when RAL 9006 and RAL 9007 are specified, when the use combines coatings of various types (paint, varnish, powder coatings). Differences in color are very common. Therefore RAL recommends the use of RAL 9006 and RAL 9007 for corrosion protection only and not for decorative purposes."

So may it be possible that some of the varying "silver"/"alu" tonalities and gloss factors are caused by varying degrees of alu particles in paint by different suppliers, that all are to a similar concept as 9006? And ***possibly*** were applied differently, perhaps some with an additional clearcoat (as mentioned above) and some not, which may change the appearance? I am fully aware the quote relates to architectural applications, but nominal 9006 e.g. on 104s may look very different, as Doc has stated. And perhaps not the proof of the pudding, but as a boy, some kits came out with a striking difference that were painted from different tins of Hu 56.

Here are some old threads: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42833-junkers-52-lufthansa/

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234998277-lufthansa-ju-52-silver-or-light-grey/

Having looked at old pictures I am leaning to what has been said that they were painted grey before switching to silver. Some pictures there are a metallic sheen on them while other look grey. There were one the showed a very gloss finish but no metallic sheen at all.

I have a Lufthansa machine planned and I will go for grey on it while my Swedish planes will be silver.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...