Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Monza 1931

Bushpig

Considering the basket case that you were handed, this has to be given the comeback of the year award! Great job of resurrecting this kit from the dead! I have one of these sitting aside that I had planned on painting the maroon too; the red is almost a too obvious a color choice with the black wire wheels. I'm anxious to see how it comes out.

• Like 1

I like the way you did the wheels. Looking real good. Considering that the spokes touch each other, how do you guys get to keep this so clean, without any blobs of paint at the point of contact?

I like the way you did the wheels. Looking real good. Considering that the spokes touch each other, how do you guys get to keep this so clean, without any blobs of paint at the point of contact?

Thin coats and not too many of them.

Thin coats and not too many of them.

Thanks Codger. I got to try this on the wheels of my Alfa Coupe Elegant. First need to decide on the color of the body.

Yes, I will someday soon start a topic. Will be a long running one, because progress is slow, or actually time is lacking.

Yes, I will someday soon start a topic. Will be a long running one, because progress is slow, or actually time is lacking.

Don't tell me about slow - I've past my second year!

Hey Guys thank you very much for the positive comments. To answer some of the questions:

Colour is Humbrol H20 Claret - enamel which is my preferred medium though I am slowly using the odd acrylic. This colour is indeed being continued through to the body as well. We debated a lot about whether to go Italian red but I felt this maroon is more vintage and in keeping with more reference pics I have seen of original and restored actual cars. Luckily my vote won!

On the wheels, as Codger said the trick is thin coats. I used Tamiya grey primer, one coat sprayed on in light mists and built up slowly. I used my badger 200 airbrush with the fine nozzle so you can get a very fine spray. I then painted the wheels with thin coats of Tamiya X1 gloss black enamel. Once dry I am treating them like eggshells as the paint does scratch very easy on the chrome unfortunately.

I didn't get much done this weekend as we were away but hopefully will make a bit more progress this week.

Hoezit Steve from Cape Town! Ironically I think this car originated from Joburg back in the seventies as the family originated there before all relocating down here.

Just some progress to update, I am really on the home stretch now but have hit a major roadblock! The Pocher curse I guess, just when you feel things are going well it strikes back. It relates to the fit of the bonnet and the side panels. I left till last because I wanted to make sure the radiator cover and body panels were all secure before making sure the fit was OK before painting. I'm glad I waited, all body panels are fitting nicely but the bonnet top panels are roughly 4mm short whereas the side panels are just about fine! So this means building up the length with some styrene, and I am sure a few sessions of filler, sanding, repeat till not noticeable then a final fit before paint. Aaaargh but anyway I guess this just means a few more evenings of what has so far been very enjoyable work on this lovely project.

Check the radiator IS NOT 90 degrees to the chassis.

If it is, the body shroud will lean forwards.

That will make the bonnet top panels seem too short.

The way the kit is made, the rad will stand upright. You have to alter it as in the pic below.

The actual rad MUST lean backwards

The edges of the top panels should be the same length as the top edge of the side panels.

Roy.

Radiator%2019_zpskciq25vi.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

Hey Roy thanks for the pointer. Funny enough I was sitting on my indoor trainer this morning doing a training session and the modeling bench is in front of me. Whilst staring at the car and pondering the issue I finally realised this is actually the problem! You are quite right that the body shroud is leaning away and causing the issue, it's very obvious when viewed from the side. So now I know, this should be a reasonably easy fix tonight.

That's why I love these forums, you guys are so knowledgable and so freely give advice to us newbies.

Well guys it really feels like I am on the home straight on this one. I'm finishing the paint job on the bonnet and that will pretty much be it done. We agreed that it will be displayed with the mudguards off but I have sprayed them up anyway in case he wants to add them at any stage in the future.

Apologies for the crappy pics, just quick ones to show where I have got to this weekeknd

image_24.jpeg

image_23.jpeg

image_22.jpeg

image_21.jpeg

• Like 1

A beautiful, vintage presentation. Color is perfect.

You MUST take better (outdoor light) pics for us before it goes away. Yes I'm shouting. Crappy pics undermine spectacular work...

Absolutely lovely...

Are you not tempted to leather the seat?

An incredibly simple task, even if you don't want to cut the parts out, and just do it 'in situ'.

The difference can't be measured.

PM me if you're interested as I have some tissue-thin black leather you can have (freebie) that would lift the seats (and the car) to the stratosphere....

...mind you, it's already pretty much there...

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Gents thank you so much for the positive comments, means a lot coming from the masters!

Codger I will do my best to take some decent pics before I hand over the car.

Apologies for not posting more, once I get going I just seem to get a whole lot done over subsequent evenings and then realise I should have taken more pics! I will try and do a decemt walk around once it is finished.

Roy thank you so much for your generous offer, really remarkable. I did give it a thought for about a half a minute but to be honest I think my mate is going to be over the moon with the fact that his car is finally back in one piece that he really won't mind the painted seat. I have done some weathering on it with Tamiya and Vallejo products and it really does look pretty lifelike. One thing that really did come to the fore at the end of this build was your suggestion regarding the engine mounting position. Where it is most noticeable is where the gear and I assume handbrake levers end up with me having left everything in the original position. They end up very far forward and under the dash if that makes sense, in a real car this would have made it just about impossible to drive! Good old Pocher engineering, they must have done this part after a good few bottles of wine at lunch :-)

Bush,

Please note the better pics are not just for us to Oooh and Ahhh; a build record of this scope is very valuable to you, the builder, for future builds. Even non-Pochers. The techniques work everywhere.

But it's nice for us to O & A,,, ^_^

• 3 months later...

Well guys it has been a while since I posted on my progress with this one,it even took me a while to find my thread :-)

I actually finished this build a while ago and handed it over to it's owner, just haven't got round to posting the final pics. To say he was pleased is an understamement of note, he keeps sending me pics of it in it's glass case and on the mantel piece, kinda makes all the effort so worth it.

So before the hand over I tried to take some half decent pics, apologies for some of the variances but thats the differences between natural sunlight and flash, the deep burgundy shade is what it looks like in real life. I am actually really pleased with how it turned out. Thanks for the comments and support along the way, you guys rock.

Remember that he asked for it look like it had just come off a good drive through the country so I added some weathering and dirt using Tamiya weathering kits and Vallejo washes.

image_42.jpeg

• Like 1