Revell 1/32 Hawk. It's a bit red.

Ade

So I've got the Revell Hawk kit to build... It's red. What's the best approach to dealing with the red plastic? Prime it on the sprues? I can't imagine painting over the red will be easy and will need lots of coats to cover. My airbrushing isn't the best as it is. How, fellow BM'ers, did you build yours?

Make sure you use a good covering primer (I used Halfords White for the Red Arrows, Halfords Grey for the RAF black one), apart from that there's no real problem, except watch out for the brittle quality of the plastic - take care removing rudder pedals and control sticks from the sprues! :doh:

Thank you chaps, looks like a trip to Halfrauds is on the cards then. Looking forward to getting my teeth into it, it'll be my first 1/32.

I'm guessing your forum name was your service no.? I was an 84 so I'm a bit after you. Nice to see there are some another Locking type on here!

Did you spray the parts on the sprue or just when you went to paint? Your builds are spot on by the way!

cheers Ade! I only primed/painted when the parts were assembled - you have to clean up the attachment point (again, because of the plastic "quality") and there are seam lines round every part from the moulding. It's easier to remove and clean each part, stick it in blutac and prime it separately.

Started on the Hawk this morning. The plastic is already a pain in the wotsit. Better a bad day with a model kit than a good day in the office!

I'm guessing your forum name was your service no.? I was an 84 so I'm a bit after you. Nice to see there are some another Locking type on here

Aye Ade, Cosford, though did go to Locking for my morse, served Jun 85 - Jul 08. A tour at Valley gave me a soft spot for the Hawk, built 15 or 16 in 1/72