Short 184, HMS Ben-my-Chree, Aegean Sea, 1915. Aeroclub, 1:72

Absolutely stunning. A thorougly comprehensive build. Well where I could wax lyrical about every aspect of this, the main things that stand out are the shading on the wing ribs, really comvincing. And of course that rigging, oh that rigging...work of a spider that studied fine art!

Fantastic build Ian. I agree with Tom. Really enjoyed the build thread and love the result. Total madness of course. But great fun to watch :)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback, it's very much appreciated!

@WWISteve - I forgot the dihedral when building the wings, but they are tight up against the lower edge of the fuselage so I don't think they could go any higher. I'm not sure if the wings are a fraction thick at the trailing edge and could be sanded on the upper surface to give a little more clearance and so raise them a little to clear the tail rigging properly. Congrats on the silver!

@DaveN - the rigging is mainly 1 1/2lb test monofilament fishing line which is about 0.06mm (2 thou.) The rigging points were all drilled, and the rigging threaded through. (Got through a lot of very small drill bits). The advantages of this are that it lends some strength to the wings, which were built separately, and knots can be tied without a huge lump showing. Having said that, although the size is scale correct, I think I'll revert to 2lb line (0.13mm/4 thou) in future as it's easier to see to work with, and shows up a little better on the finished model. The floats were rigged with 4 thou stainless wire as it wasn't possible to drill and thread in that area. I tried 2 thou wire but couldn't get it to stay straight, it's too springy. If heated at all it just disappears!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2016 at 8:50 PM, limeypilot said:

Thanks very much everyone, I have to admit I'm a little overwhelmed by the positive reactions to this one!

@Tiger331 - please take pics! I wasn't aware that a replica existed. The remains of the "Jutland Short", no. 8359, are in the Fleet Air Arm museum at RNAS Yeovilton, in England, but it is a very sorry state after the Imperial War Museum in London, where it was originally, was bombed during WWII.

Ian

Ian,

Apologies for the delay.......actually, I have yet to go over to our museum here.......I am planning a trip over the next couple of weeks and will take photos. I'll let you know in due course.

Mark

• Like 2

Greta work and an excellent story.  Yes...those birds were massive, even for two-seaters.  I have been eyeing a kit on-line to buy but have the same dilemma as you...where to put it when it's built?  Love the build!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for revisiting this one. It's far from perfect but it was a huge learning curve and my future builds will certainly benefit from the experience!

Ian

Brilliant build and yet another nudge to get mine started!  Not a build to be taken lightly. Incidentally, when I was last at Yeovilton I thought I might get some reference photos of the cockpit section that they have there. No such joy! So as to make it "more interesting " they are projecting lights upon it to imitate the movements of the engine and the like! I was not impressed at all with this . I think they should pass it to TVAL and let them build  an airframe  around it. Not the way to go I know,but to turn it into some "interactive " toy for the masses does nothing for anyone that wishes to study it for what it is. 

• Like 1

On 25/06/2017 at 10:10, Tiger331 said:

.....actually, I have yet to go over to our museum here.......I am planning a trip over the next couple of weeks and will take photos. I'll let you know in due course.

I'd love to see a set of walkaround pictures of the old White Russian birds!

We're all counting on you,dude! Get over there !

Apparently Estonia got 8 of them in 1918

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

I want to see it but I just get a square icon banging on about updating photobucket t3rd party hosting, is it my end or yours?

Don't worry, it's not you. If you still haven't heard, there's some serious ructions going on with photobucket, wanting 400 dollars to allow you to share your pics, or something.

Seems like everyone is going to have to bail, and try to get their material out and onto another hosting site!!

Then re-do all their build threads!!!

Lot of unhappy modellers, you can imagine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Don't worry, it's not you. If you still haven't heard, there's some serious ructions going on with photobucket, wanting 400 dollars to allow you to share your pics, or something.

Seems like everyone is going to have to bail, and try to get their material out and onto another hosting site!!

Then re-do all their build threads!!!

Lot of unhappy modellers, you can imagine.

Thanks Rob, no I had not heard. Well that just about sums up the world we live in, I was willing to pay for extra storage when that point came  but $400, not a chance, that's not running a business, that is highway robbery, the only difference being that they run around in suits and Aston's instead of horse and face mask.

• Like 2

I've been working on it.....hopefully I can have this one back up very soon, I'm doing the build log first. Some pics have been lost from that but all the RFI ones are still on my pc.

Ian

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 4:14 AM, Head in the clouds. said:

I want to see it but I just get a square icon banging on about updating photobucket t3rd party hosting, is it my end or yours?

All the links in both the build thread and the RFI have now been replaced and all pics are once again visible!

Thanks for your interest!

Ian

• Like 1