Scampton Airshow

Head in the clouds.

On Lincs FM today it was announced that RAF Scampton will be holding the annual RAF show in 2017 in the month of September, it being run by the RAF Charitble Trust, this is of course instead of Waddington show which is no longer viable at that venue. It will be intresting to see what can be pulled out the bag.

• Like 2

Just got this on BBC Look North! Fantastic! Being local to North Lincolnshire a bit closer than Waddington too!!

Access may be a bit tricky? Is there an alternative to the A15??

Was there an airshow at Scampton many years ago? Or did I imagine it?

. . . Kes

Yes there was an airshow at Scampton, sadly I can't remember what year that was, they fly-by so quickly.

There is a back road to Scampton from Hemswell Cliff, Caenby Corner, but no doubt it will be 'coned' to stop the public parking there just to view the aircraft flying over.

• Like 1

As pleased as I am to hear such news being very local, there is indeed a lack of tarmac around the base.

If the Lincolnshire show is anything to go by then it will be carnage, much worse than Waddington/anywhere else shows. Quite a bit of talk about it from locals at work today and all said the same thing.

But, fingers crossed it can be made to work and pretty things will still come.

apparently its been in the planning for the last two years and DBH who do RIAT are involved so should be well organised looking forward to Sept 2017.

Guy

I'm seven miles North of Scampers.

Just sit in the front garden with binoculars then!

Come along if you wish.

I won't charge much for parking.

Not far away from me. We moved from Fillingham to Faldingworth 2 years ago, oh how I miss the Reds trying to remove our chimney at 9am on a Sunday... Blighters.

Nice out here eh?

• Like 1

Seems there's a few of us from Lincolnshire, I'm at the south end of the Humber bridge guarding against the Yorkshire invasion! Ha!

. . . Kes (Bartonian)

If your butty shop around the corner from Weirs had a stall at the show, theyd make a killing. Best bacon n egg butties in the world.

• Like 1

Yes there was an airshow at Scampton, sadly I can't remember what year that was, they fly-by so quickly.

There is a back road to Scampton from Hemswell Cliff, Caenby Corner, but no doubt it will be 'coned' to stop the public parking there just to view the aircraft flying over.

Those years fly by? They do, they certainly do! I think I can remember going to a Scampton Airshow? Lincolnshire has been well catered for with Airshow venues?

Scampton? Waddington, Conningsby, and the unforgettable 'Last Lightning Show' Binbrook '87!! was Finningley in Lincolnshire? or South Yorkshire??

. . . Kes

At least we will be getting something in Lincolnshire, I'd much rather Waddington had continued mind. What were the security issues that put an end to Waddo while we're on the subject?

Are drones flying from there nowadays? Or big stuff that requires the new runway works?

I know a fair few things came in a few months back at night with no lights on at all that I thought was a bit naughty while they passed over my head. Theres something gone on there that involves tin hats, Im sure of it. [reaches for the tin foil]

I was in Grantham last week, delivering beer & other drinkies. (Chequers etc)

Barton, we do the Cricket club.

Worked at Scampton in the RAF & later as a civvy. The most amazing day

there? When the Russian Knights landed, it felt like the film Close Encounters!

• Like 1

I'm seven miles North of Scampers.

Well I'm just 5 miles south of the base so I guess I'll join you with the bins Pete...in fact I can just about see it from my attic man-cave windows. It'll certainly be interesting to see how they manage things with the base the way it is... the A15 will be fun !.

Ah, the Russian knights, remember them coming in and practicing and then later seeing them at Finningley, Concorde coming over, EAP in 1989 and of course all those lovely noisy Vulcans.......great days.

• Like 2

By thunder I thought you'd rumbled me. Should have swung by for a glass or two of Glenfarclas 1957 before shooting big game over by the Mem's wisteria-clad rustic pergolas...Saxilby, good Lord you're off course by several degrees captain, you'd need to hove over to Carholme Road, before ascending to Angels 15 then make steam towards the Bunkers Hill mud flats after that it's second star to the right and straight on til morning....mind you you could just take the A46 instead !

• Like 2

By thunder I thought you'd rumbled me. Should have swung by for a glass or two of Glenfarclas 1957 before shooting big game over by the Mem's wisteria-clad rustic pergolas...Saxilby, good Lord you're off course by several degrees captain, you'd need to hove over to Carholme Road, before ascending to Angels 15 then make steam towards the Bunkers Hill mud flats after that it's second star to the right and straight on til morning....mind you you could just take the A46 instead !

What an odd thing to say? Thing is, I know what you mean! Ha!

• Like 1

Thanks Kes..though odd I'm no yellowbelly I leave that sort of thing to the memsahib and her kindred five fingered hill people of Louth, but being up here for quite some time I understand the magnetic pull of the sausage mightily....

Back to Scampton, I wonder what the locals living on base will think to a mass pitch invasion ? Mind you they'll have the best seats in the house...

• Like 1

Yellowbelly? Im a Meggy.

Any Codheads in the house?

Back to Scampton, I wonder what the locals living on base will think to a mass pitch invasion ? Mind you they'll have the best seats in the house...

Depends on the type of folk they are I guess. Been to North Coates base lately...?

As a relatively recent arrival here, never really understood the 'proud to be a yellowbelly' bit, always thought it to be an odd phrase.

My understanding is that its down to the local military garments of old. Or some say its due to Cleethorpes' pirates making a mistake. Have a Google.

Edited by RMP2

Of course a postcode into the old satnav would be far simpler.

The '57? Not before tiffin, obviously!

Last night I remembered that we did have an airshow while I was

at Scampton. This would be around 90/91. It may have just been

a families day, I was volunteered to be on crash crew & spent

most of the time in the flightline building, 'Just in case'.

I did get to do one walkabout and remember an old gent in

a blazer asking for directions to 'the grave of that dog'.

• Like 1