Ammo box as extra storage locker?

StephenMG

Hi all,

I'm a relative tank newbie (first build was a Tamiya Cromwell last year and currently working on an Italeri Crusader) and have a question.

I've seen a number of photos of British tanks with an ammo box neatly positioned adjacent to the stowage lockers. There doesn't seem to be anything, such as a bracket, straps or ropes, holding it in place. I wondered therefore if it was likely that these boxes were welded on as a field mod to act as additional stowage locker space?

A number of the knocked out Cromwells at Villers Bocage seem to have these in place aft of the hull gunner's hatch...

8e6097dd17e3f0e14e773eba881e1a9f.jpg

tumblr_noczetolJb1rwiivfo2_1280.jpg

...and something similar on this Crusader on the front fender...

600px-IWM-E-17616-Crusader-19421002.jpg

Anyone know if this was common practice, or have I misinterpreted things?

Cheers,

Mark

I think photos are as best of proof as anything, and generally one can conclude that stowage patterns seen in one photo can be attributed as a characteristic for the entire unit.

Being metal, these storage boxes could be easily welded in place - but in the case of the first photo, there does look to be shadow both underneath and behind the edges of the box. Only thing I can think of, if not loose, then perhaps it was bolted to the fender from inside the container?

regards,

Jack

Thanks all, that makes sense. I suppose I asked for two reasons,

1. I've seen pictures where the ammo box is not appropriate for any of the armament on the tank - that Crusader is a perfect example as it looks like a 6 pdr ammo box suggesting it's there for general storage rather than ammo for the tank's guns.

2. I quite fancy just sticking an ammo box to my tanks without having to worry about ropes etc. to tie it on (but wanted to make sure it was credible)!

You've made my mind up...I'm doing it!

M

Talkie are notorious gypsies and there is never enough stowage in or on a vehicle. The more space you armour the more weight you have or the thinner the armour. To term led be bodged on by the local fitter section to provide more space for luxuries the designers never thought you would need like food, water and something to sleep in.

Steve, I think you are correct and that is indeed a 6 pdr ammo box located on the Crusader. What is actually inside is anyone's guess, but it would be dangerous to have ammo carried on the front like that, unless the vehicle was away from the front lines.

General rule of thumb when adding exterior stowage, make sure it neither impedes the traverse of the turret, nor block any view ports for the crew.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

tankies often used ammo boxes to store personal equipment and rations on the outside of vehicles, mainly because space inside was limited and it got rather warm in there, ammo boxes of all sizes were readily available so where the cubby hole of choice.

Ammo boxes were a great source of stowage, I had a an old 6 pounder ammo box for track split kit

Back in the early 1990's whilst I served on 43's. Wish I had kept it now. Thomas bins were better for beer , lots more space :)

• 1 month later...

We used to weld hooks onto ammo boxes so we could slot them into the small loops on the turret of our Ferrets. I think they might have been the same boxes as on the Cromwells above.

Theres never enough stowage space on armoured vehicles(or any vehicle for that matter)When Chieftains came up for scrapping, many of there stowage lockers were passed onto AFV432/3/4 and could be seen attached to the sides and front of the vehicle...................Land Rovers could be seen with ammo boxes stuffed on the bumper in front of the radiator grills