More oldies from my modelling bench

Some of you may be aware that I had shoulder surgery last year and I have been unable to model for six months. A few weeks ago I started modelling again but despite it being good rehabilitation for my shoulder, it, in it's turn hasn't been as good for my modelling.

Although I can and sometimes do build kits with all the bells and whistles, I like nothing more than knocking out old clunkers straight from the box. I remove the panel lines and rivets and produce very clean builds with very little weathering and don't even bother with aerial rigging.

So, here are my builds for 2016 so far - most recent at the top:

Airfix 1/72 Beagle Basset 206 (02025-5)
Beagle_Basset_206_027.JPG

Not a bad little kit although I had a lot of problems getting the windows stay in place and also with the decals (especially the fuselage stripes that I left off in the end). The glossy anti-dazzle panel should have been matted down before the photo was taken but that has now been done.

Frog 1/72 DH Hornet F.Mk3 (F239)
Frog_DH_Hornet_72_019.JPG

An OOB build of the old Frog Hornet that still scrubs up well. I bottled out of painting the white spinner stripes.

Airfix 1/72 Piper Cherokee Arrow II (01060-5)
Piper_Cherokee_Arrow_II_013.JPG

Another lovely little kit. Unfortunately, the decals had yellowed beyond repair which had an effect on the blue of the decals, turning it green.

Heller 1/72 Caudron C.635 Simoun (80208)
Heller_Caudron_C635_Simoun_72_015.JPG

A lovely little kit. Unfortunately, my tin of H52 Baltic Blue was awful and so I replaced it with H222 Moonlight Blue. Definitely not the right colour but it produced a pleasing result.

Eastern Express 1/72 Navy Interceptor DH110 Sea Vixen FAW-2 (72284)
Eastern_Express_Sea_Vixen_72_007.JPG

The fragile decals almost had me in tears of frustration and it is a worthy candidate for re-decalling in the future!

Revell 1/72 Hien "Tony" (H-261)
Revell_Kawasaki_Hien_72_008.JPG

A quick OOB build of the Revell 1/72 Hien "Tony" (H-261). This was an 60's boxed issue which has been "de-rivetted".

Airfix 1/72 P-47 Thunderbolt (125)
P47_Thunderbolt_72_009.JPG

A quick OOB build of the Airfix 1/72 P-47 Thunderbolt (125). This was an original 60's polybag issue which has been "de-rivetted".

Despite some problems, I have enjoyed building them and it is great to be back modelling again. Now that they are finished, they will be packed away in a shoebox in the attic.

Dave

• Like 38

It is really super!!!

These oldies are goodies!!

I am old enough to have seen these models as I was a child,

and I am always pleased when I can see them built.

It's really a good job you did!!!

I love them. Polo.

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A few more oldies for you. Some of these I have only built once before in the Seventies and am revisiting them for the first time since:

Airfix 1/72 Saab Draken (02039)
Draken_35F_72_025.JPG

Had to find a replacement canopy as the original had gone AWOL. Kit decals were beyond help and I used Flying Colors Aero FCASR710 decals instead.

Airfix 1/72 Fiat G91 (106)
Fiat_G91_72_022.JPG

Another ancient kit with unusable decals. This time I used Xtradecal X72175 decals instead.

Matchbox 1/76 Montys Caravan (PK-175)
Matchbox_Montys_Caravan_76_017.JPG

I had been wanting to make this kit ever since it was first released by Matchbox! Finally achieved my (sad) ambition!

Airfix 1/72 Westland Whirlwind HAS Mk22 (02056)
Westland_Whirlwind_HAS22_017.JPG

Had a nightmare with the green paint that remained tacky for what seemed like forever! I managed to drop it and it now has a large lump of scrap metal rattling around inside!

Airfix 1/72 DHC Chipmunk T10 (134)
Chipmunk_72_007.JPG

A straightforward build except for paper sticking to the decals.

Airfix 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk1a (01071)
spacer.png

Didn't have much to worry about with this one - except for slightly off register decals!

Dave

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Vince.

I have just realised that I posted Monty's Caravan in this aircraft build thread by mistake! I will leave it here now otherwise other people might think you are going mad when they read your post above!

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I knocked out another oldie this week:

Matchbox 1/72 McDonnell F-101F Voodoo (PK-411)

Matchbox_Voodoo_72_003.JPG

Matchbox_Voodoo_72_001.JPG

Matchbox_Voodoo_72_002.JPG

Matchbox_Voodoo_72_004.JPG

Matchbox_Voodoo_72_006.JPG

Matchbox_Voodoo_72_007.JPG

A straightforward OOB build of the CF-101B version. Decals were a pleasure to apply considering their age but the undercarriage is really flimsy and prone to damage or snapping off!

Dave

• Like 4

If this is the result of surgery making your modelling not as good as before then book me into hospital now!

Great builds! And nice to see someone not moaning about beating an old kit into submission as well.

I have a few old (some from the 60s) Airfix kits, and you've proven they can build into great looking models!!

• Like 1

Thank you everybody.

This is likely to be the second last model I will be making this year as I am to undergo more surgery to my right shoulder in the next few weeks. The surgery will also involve the collarbone and my consultant has warned me that I will be in a sling for six weeks this time (was 48 hours last time) and I should make arrangements for somebody to care for me.

On top of that, I am hoping to move house in early 2017 so the modelling den will have to go into hibernation after my last model of 2016 which I start on next week.

Watch this space for an Airfix 1/24 Stuka......hopefully!

Dave

• 1 month later...

I said in my previous post that I hoped to build an Airfix 1/24 Stuka. Well, after a big struggle trying to get to grips with this huge beast with my dodgy right arm, it is finally finished - three weeks longer than planned.

Airfix 1/24 Junkers Ju-87 B-2 Stuka (18002-7)
Junkers_Ju87_Stuka_24_GB_161.JPG

Junkers_Ju87_Stuka_24_GB_163.JPG

I included some extra detail in the aft section of the fuselage (including stringers and a first aid compartment and fitted a Eduard Luftwaffe harness to the pilot's seat. National markings and snakes were painted.

Just waiting for my shoulder surgery date now which is going to be anytime within the next eight weeks.

Dave

• Like 2

Hello,Dave - You've been through the medical wars and I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Despite all of this,you've built a delightful selection of fine models for us to admire.I'm a devotee of clean paint finishes and I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work with them all.Pure nostalgia throughout and that's another reason why I love them.:goodjob: All the best,Paul.

• Like 1