Orange Gannet--Revell's 1/72 Gannet T.5--Pics added!

Arie

That is nice, particularly nice is the faded dayglo. Any tips on how you achieved that?

I really like the faded orange markings, how did you achieve it? Was it just a case of using a matt coat or other colours?

It's a very realistic effect.

Rich

Thanks for the kind words--the faded effect is a multi-layer ordeal. I start with a white basecoat to intensify the final colour, then overspray with yellow. Some paints actually fade to yellow, then white, so this layering leaves me the option to either not fully over-paint, or lightly sand back to reveal the base colours.

For the final Dayglo, I started off spraying the panel lines, then very lightly sprayed the rest of the top panels, giving the underside thicker coverage. I felt I overdid the orange, and actually went back with a very thin mixture of white/yellow and highlighted the middle of the most faded panels.

My airbrush is very basic & has some trouble controlling coverage in small scale, so some of you with better kit might be able to get even better results.

Cheers,

Arie

• Like 1

Per request, here are a couple of shots of the whole "family". The AEW.3 is the Airmodel vacuform conversion with components from Frog's kit & a generous amount of re-profiling & scratch building.

The Trumpy kit is a mutt of a different sort--Gannet nerds will note the Brawdy tailcode are wrong for the late-style roundels--I'm converting it over to the Lossie station flight bird, which is the only one I've seen sporting the late-style roundels, which I prefer. In any case, I still need to swap out the tail codes & serials, but am being a bit lazy & don't fancy taking the folded wings apart, decaling, and replacing, as you can see.

Many thanks for all the kind words...Without further ado!

24491659683_1ba4ce8e13_b.jpg

24750827059_4c89de7dee_b.jpg

25025221491_b5e9be9faa_b.jpg

• Like 9

Hello Arie, very nice build and well finished,it looks fantastic. I am half way through my build of the same aircraft/kit and like you I thought the 30gram nose weight was excessive but crammed it in anyway, I now have more lead in my Gannet than on my roof.

I too could find no pics of weapons carriage for that lovely bomb bay so closed it up, all I could find was a single pylon on each wing for a drop tank, not much is it.

Hello Arie, very nice build and well finished,it looks fantastic. I am half way through my build of the same aircraft/kit and like you I thought the 30gram nose weight was excessive but crammed it in anyway, I now have more lead in my Gannet than on my roof.

I too could find no pics of weapons carriage for that lovely bomb bay so closed it up, all I could find was a single pylon on each wing for a drop tank, not much is it.

Glad to hear you avoided my mistake--I didn't weigh-out what I put in initially & ended up having to drill out the nose and cast a solid lead plug to fit! Might be a good choice to close the bay too--between the flaps & the bay doors, there's loads of gubbins hanging off, ready to accidently snap-off.

Truly looking forward to seeing your build!

Cheers,

A. C.

If I may ask, did you paint your silver main colour or was it an Alclad finish, I cant decide from research weather the colour was natural aluminium finish or painted aluminium finish, if indeed there be a difference?

I painted it with Modelmaster's non-buffing aluminium--best I can tell, the Gannets were painted a lacquered silver, rather than being natural metal.

A. C.

Awesome! As others note the faded day-glo adds the master stroke... the three ship line up on deck looks fab- reminds me of the time as a nipper I went aboard Ark Royal and marveled at the size of the Gannets parked on deck. Very well done!