F-4J Phantom - Rockin Rhino - 1:48 Eduard Limted Edition

Julien

F-4J Phantom - Rockin Rhino
1:48 Eduard Limted Edition

box.jpg

If you have not heard of the Phabulos F-4 Phantom then where have you been! The F-4J was an improved version of the F-4B Used by the US Navy and Marine Corps. Improvements were centred on improving the Phantoms air-to-air combat capability. J79-GE-10 engines were fitted which could provide 17844lbf of thrust. A new AN/APG-59 pulse Doppler radar was fitted which was combined with the AN/AWG-10 fire control system to provide look-down, shoot-down capability. Additional avionics in the form of an AN/AJB-7 bombing system were also added which significantly improved the bombing capability of the aircraft. New larger main gear wheels were added which brought in wing bulges as seen on USAF Phantoms. Slatted tail planes were added along with ailerons which drooped to 16.5° when the landing gear and flaps were deployed. These two improvements brought about a decrease in landing speeds. Martin Baker Mk.7 seats were fitted to give a zero-zero seat. An improvement over the Mk.5 Zero-90 seat. The F-4Js visual difference from the F-4B were the over wing bulges, larger radome, longer exhaust nozzles with turkey feathers, and the removal of the IRST sensor from under the nose. 522 F-4Js were built for the US Military, with the first production airframe flying on 1966.

The Kit
The kit Eduard have used is the new Academy F-4J kit. To this they have added Brassin Wheels, Exhaust nozzles, and ejection seats; two sheets of photo-etch; and masks; along with and two decal sheets with extensive markings & stencils designed by Furball decals and printed by Cartograf.

sp01.JPG

Construction starts in the conventionally enough in the cockpit area. Virtually all of the detail on both instrument panels are replaced by the included PE; as is that one side consoles. Additional PE parts are added to the sides of the cockpit tub below the side consoles. PE rudder pedals replace the kit parts also. The front gear well is then constructed and added to the bottom of the cockpit tub. This competed assembly is then added to the front lower fuselage section.

sp02.JPG

sp08.JPG

The five part main gear wells are then completed, the main gear legs then need to be added to the wheel well at this point. Don't leave them off thinking you can add them later as you can not. The attachment points are then sandwiched between the gear well walls and the main wing in the next stage of construction (I cant say I am a fan of this). The insides of the speed-brake wells are also installed in the lower wing at this point. Once these and the gear wells are in the lower wing, the top inner wing panels are added.

sp06.JPG

sp04.JPG

The next area of construction for the modeller is the exhaust nozzles. For each one there are three resin parts and two PE parts. The intake trunking is also assembled at this time. This is full length down to an engine fan front. The intakes and exhausts are then added to the main wing section from before. The front lower fuselage section with the cockpit is then added to form a complete lower section.

sp05.JPG

Construction then moves to the upper fuselage. With this kit it is one part so no tricky centre seam to have to deal with. Provision is made for the Navy style extending refuelling probe. This can be modelled in either the closed or extended position. Additional PE is then added to the canopy rail area of the cockpits. Once this is done the upper fuselage can be added to the completed lower fuselage section. An insert is added to the top of the fuselage which covers where the USAF Style refuelling receptacle fits as it would seem this is a common part on the Academy kits.

sp03.JPG

Next up the splitter plates are attached to the intakes. The air-conditioning intakes are added, along with the radome. For the cockpit area the front under canopy are is added along with the support between the two cockpits. Moving swiftly to the rear of the model the tailcone and arrestor hook are added.

sp09.JPG

Construction then moves to the control surfaces. The vertical fin is added, along with the fin tip and rudder. The tailpanes are added at the rear as well. For the main wing the flaps are added along with the outer wing panels. Surprisingly there is no option to fold the wing tips.

sp10.jpg

Next up are all the dangly bits. The front undercarriage is completed and installed, along with the gear doors. The main wheels (in resin) are added to the main gear legs, and the main gear doors are installed. The speed brake doors and their actuators are also installed here, along with the auxiliary intake doors under the main fuselage. A full selection of fuel tanks, pylon and weapons can then be installed under the aircraft. A main fuel tanks, and the two Sgt Fletcher outboard tanks are supplied. Separate outboard wing pylons are supplied if you wish to use these for bombs. Multiple ejection and triple ejection bomb racks are included. For weapons Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles are supplied as well as what look like 12 MK.82 bombs.

sp11.JPG

sp12.JPG

For the finishing touches we move back to the Phantom's cockpit. The seats are mini kits in themselves. The man seat is one part to which the head boxes are added. There are then a multitude of small PE parts to be added all of with are prepainted. Included are seat pads, ejection handles, all seat belts and leg restraints. Next up are the canopies and a full set of PE mirrors are provided here. The canopies can be shut as well as open, but who wants to hide all that detail? Lastly the cockpit step can be in the down or up position.

sp13.JPG

rr003.jpg

Canopy
The canopy contains the front screen, centre section and individual front & rear canopies. The parts are very moulded and crystal clear.

sp14.JPG

Decals
The decal sheet provides 5 sets of markings for colourful USN & USMC users. Decals are by Cartograf and should pose no problems. Airframe and weapons stencils are also provided on a separate sheet. The stencil sheet is one of the best layout I have seen in a kit sheet with all the markings clearly identified and laid out in separate sections. It looks like the Playboy bunny decal has been split possibly to avoid licensing issues.
  • 153775 from VMFA-451 "Warlords", USS Forestal 1976, wearing Red/White/Blue 1776-1976
  • 153882 from VF-92 "Silver Kings, USS Constellation 1973.
  • 157270 from VF-114 "Ardvarks", USS Kittyhawk 1971.
  • 153887 from VMFA-235 "Death Angels", MCAS Kaneohe Bay, 1972.
  • 153783 from VX-4 "The Evaluators" NAS Point Mugu 1972. This is famous Black Bunny airframe.

rr002.jpg

rr001.jpg

Conclusion
The Academy new tool F-4J is already a great kit. Once again Eduard have taken a great kit; added PE, Resin, Masks & great decals to produce a Phabulous kit.

bin-new.jpg

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif

• Like 7

Thanks a lot, Julien, nice review!

Now you can send me the box.

:ninja:

The only (very small and nearly insignifiant) drawback (to me) is, despite all those birds being CAG aircraft, that there's something dull.

Colorfull yes, without any doubts, but still dull, as there's no artwork, tags, mission marks, etc.... And bicentennial markings are not exactly my cup of tea...

So yes, I'll get the box, but I'll find a way around this "problem" (of mine!) by using some Afterburner or Furball sheets.

Let's hope for one more Limited Edition F-4J (There was two boxes for the B).

Edited by Antoine

I am more in favour of plain line birds sometimes. I really do like the markings for this one.

I can send you the box no issues, I will just keep the contents :wicked:

Yes we can hope for more.

Julien

great review, and an amazing kit, if eduard were to do the same with the new snapfit smaller version, which I already have, I'd may well die of excitement

They do a set of exhaust for that kit.

Thanks Julian, you just cost me 50 quid! Had um'd & er'd about this one but then your review showed the bunny markings were included and I had to get it. Going to use it to do a 72sqn bird and then use my academy boxing to do Vandy one.

I should add a rider to the review that we cant be held responsible for loss of will power :D

It is a great kit though.

Julien

• Like 1

• 8 months later...