Bit of Fun - Amusing Pilots Names

Tiger331

Going through flying training one of the chaps (on a different course, on one of the sister Sqns) had the surname Cheeseman. He was therefore known as 'Cheesy' or simply just 'Cheese'.

Unlike most of us he was one of those weird types that was married. During the Course his wife gave birth to their first child, a son.

When quizzed as to what name they'd given to the son he told us "Richard."

Oh how we laughed.

• Like 1

Ok...I can do better than that. I was at a Joint unit (where "Joint" was spelled A-R-M-Y) working alongside the Pongos. Being a training facility for a non-teeth arm formation, there was a goodly mix of male and female personnel with the inevitable romantic liaisons. One such relationship progressed to engagement and, ultimately marriage involving a certain Maj Hiscock marrying another Maj with the surname Washer. The bride-to-be, being a modern-minded lady, didn't want to give up her surname and so, as in all good relationships, they elected to compromise by hyphenating both surnames.

I'll let you all figure out the flaw in this cunning plan. Needless to say, the compromise didn't last long!

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 4

Ok...I can do better than that. I was at Chicksands for a few years working alongside the Pongos. Being a training facility for a non-teeth arm formation, there was a goodly mix of male and female personnel with the inevitable romantic liaisons. One such relationship progressed to engagement and, ultimately marriage involving a certain Maj Hiscock marrying another Maj with the surname Washer. The bride-to-be, being a modern-minded lady, didn't want to give up her surname and so, as in all good relationships, they elected to compromise by hyphenating both surnames.

I'll let you all figure out the flaw in this cunning plan. Needless to say, the compromise didn't last long!

A friend of the family called Miss J... Willey was always going on about getting married so she could stop being "a willy". She ended up marrying a bloke called C... Dick. True story. :)

• Like 1

Not a funny pilot's name, but a response to the three previous posters. I worked for a while at the UBS offices in Stamford, Connecticut. The convention within UBS for email usernames is the first six letters of the surname followed by the first two letters of the first name. For example I was [email protected]. This was reversed in the case of one Sheila Cockburn.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 2

Have to say the last few posts have caused me to express some coarse laughter particularly the military stuff. To go further off topic, in my army reserve days we had a Private Bates. He was particularly thick. His nickname was 'Master'. He never did get it.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

Oh if we're in to nicknames....

On Albert we had a number of characters.

There was one pilot known as 'Sledge' (because whenever he went out he was pulled by dogs).

Another known as 'Rolex' (because he was self-winding).

A Nav called 'Gimlet' (because he was a small boring tool).

Another called 'Snap-On' (because he was a complete set of tools).

• Like 6

Oh if we're in to nicknames....

On Albert we had a number of characters.

There was one pilot known as 'Sledge' (because whenever he went out he was pulled by dogs).

Another known as 'Rolex' (because he was self-winding).

A Nav called 'Gimlet' (because he was a small boring tool).

Another called 'Snap-On' (because he was a complete set of tools).

'Sledge'...absolute classic! Then again, Lyneham always was something of a petri dish that tended to grow "characters".

I can't top that although we did have a Tonka driver known as Dorothy 'cos he flew like an old woman. The nickname was often shortened to Dot which, apparently, is what his aircraft looked like when he was formating on you.

We also had a nav nicknamed Shaky (yes, hands up all who remember Shakin' Stevens...and apols for adding to your mental scarring) or "Shake a Leg" because he was like an over-amorous terrier - small, annoying, misguided, hard to shake off and a cause of great embarrassment when trying to impress the ladies.

Edited by mhaselden

• 2 weeks later...

While on TAM 84, we had to work with a USAF F-4 pilot with the name Buster Hymen. At one of the parties, you could here him complaining to his colleagues "The Brits keep laughing at my name"!

Also, while on 2(AC) Sqn. 81-84, the outgoing Wg. Cdr. Tim (Tiger) Thorn - Greatest Boss ever! Was replaced by Wg. Cdr. Hoare who insisted it was pronounced Ho-are, guess what we called him!

Still off topic but aviation related...

At LATCC (London Air Traffic Control Centre) when it was at West Drayton there was an 'en route' simulator where newly qualified stude's would spend hours practicing their craft in order to validate on the unit. The 'new' controller would be sat at the panel with his flight progress strips and pen at the ready and headset on unaware that he was about to be caught. Behind the scenes either another controller, instructor or Air Traffic Assistant would be pretending to be the aircraft.

Those in the Aviation world will probably be familiar with the Air Traffic Control unit to the south of the UK with the name 'Brest ATC'

At some point in the proceedings a flight progress strip would be passed to the controller for a routing that would require the aircraft to contact this particular ATC unit. Using the proper official language the aircraft would be given the contact instructions and the exchange would go as follows:

Controller: "Speedbird xxxx Contact Brest on XXX decimal X"

(Pretend) Pilot: "Speedbird xxxx Comfirm Brest?"

Controller: "Speedbird xxxx Affirm Brest"

(Pretend) Pilot "Snigger"

How simple things amuse.

Edited by Engineer66

I don't know if he was a pilot,but,while in Station Headquarters on a Royal Air Force station,I heard a young officer ask to see Wing Commander sweetheart,placing the inflexion on the last syllable of the name,which made it sound acceptable.From the Wing Commander's office came a loud voice,"sweetheart by name,sweetheart by nature!Wheel him in!The name was pronounced differently.I wonder how many times that happened?

• Like 1

Regarding my last posting,I related the correct name,which was not "Sweetheart",but sounded as if it cast doubt on the Wingco's legitimacy.He would not be able to use his real name on this site!

• Like 1

If I did not know better, I would swear they are doing this deliberately !. I've just returned from a trip to Albania and on one of the flights the Captain announced that his name was Sergei Prokofiev. Now, if it had been the same airline that had the Captain that goes by the name of Tchaikovsky, I would have started to smell a rat but it's not !. Cannot wait to see what they dream up next.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I used to work with a fellow armourer on 617 Sqdn whose married name was Sue Allcock. Her maiden name was Balls !!!

Happy days

Scoots

Once worked with a guy who had a real knack of doing anything other than working on the aircraft. Someone eventually came up with an absolutely genius nick name -

"B.A"

Why?

"I ain't gettin on no plane, fool"

Still makes me chuckle. Engineers should never be underestimated when it comes to good nick names.

Eng

• Like 1