Bit of Fun - Amusing Pilots Names

Tiger331

Hi there,

Thought I would start this thread and see where it leads…..maybe nowhere...

I've now lived for several years in the Nordic region and spend quite a bit of time flying…….Guess it goes with the territory, so to speak, but getting on board an aircraft last week, I was greeted with the news that "Captain Pyotr Tchaikovsky and his crew would like to welcome you aboard"………a couple of months back (different airline)…the Captain's name was "Hans Christian Andersen"…..Anyone got any other famous named aircrew they can remember flying with ?

Cheers

• Like 2

I swear Continental actually had a pilot called Ted Stryker! I also swore that if I ever got on a flight and the actor George Kennedy boarded I

would get off I think he has been in every Aircraft disaster movie ever made and Airplane.

• Like 2

You are correct stevej we do have a Ted Stryker on the seniority list, he's on the 777, now it's United.

We also have a pilot that is identical in appearance to Austin Powers, he cut and pasted Austin's picture on his ID it wasn't long before he got busted and had to go back to being Fred.

Oh and we also had a Doug Bader but he retired thank God, not a popular guy.

• Like 4

Several years ago, I don't remember which airline I was flying on, I was on a plane piloted by a "Captain Morgan".

On disembarking, I was tempted to tell him that his flying was great but his rum needed work. I held my tongue though.

If were going off topic........

I used to work for the UK MOD - and in the British Army, the regimental Quartermaster answers to the name of 'Q'.

One place I worked, the Quartermaster was a Major Cumberpatch - you guessed it, he used to answer the phone with.......

"Q Cumberpatch"

Then there was Major Jim Waite - who answered the phone with ......"Waite"

Ken

• Like 1

If were going off topic........

I used to work for the UK MOD - and in the British Army, the regimental Quartermaster answers to the name of 'Q'.

One place I worked, the Quartermaster was a Major Cumberpatch - you guessed it, he used to answer the phone with.......

"Q Cumberpatch"

Then there was Major Jim Waite - who answered the phone with ......"Waite"

Ken

That is where the `Q' from the James Bond Film`s comes from!

Not quite on topic, but I've always liked using made up names when using the PA, especially in the less stilted environment of a certain Orange airline. One captain I flew with was so convinced that I was revivalist pop legend Shakin' Stevens that he made a point of introducing "me" on every trip we did. Another who was a fanatical Liverpool fan would introduce himself as "Captain Kenny Dalglish" and the FO as a member of the current Liverpool team. This got awkward one day when Steve McManaman was on the jet and wanted to say hello. (nice bloke actually!)

Other than that, I've made good use of such classics as "Captain Seymour Sky", "First Officer Ron Button", "Otto Pilot" and "Roger Wilko" - there were loads more but I've forgotten after 10 years in the more serious world of BA!

Even more off-topic - I was flying a BA 777 into an airport in the West Indies, and the captain (a native Trinidadian) was operating the radios as co-pilot. On one handover to one of the regional island control sectors, he gave our callsign and info to the ground controller in his distinctive Caribbean twang. After receiving instructions, we signed off. There was a pause, then the ground controller came back: "One of you had better be black!" :lol:

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 4

Surprisingly few come to mind but I know a Captain Julie Garland. To veer off topic slightly albeit remaining in aviation I worked with Tom Cruise and Johnny Cash in an aircraft maintenance facility. Johnny could sing and play guitar and yes he used to play some of the other Cash's songs.

There is a pilot ex Imperial Airways ex Aer Lingus and looked and spoke exactly like the pilot on the Mr Sheen polish products. He was the living cliche of the grey haired moustached,tally hope chaps type pilot parody. He's still alive too over 100 years old. Imagine there's still an Imperial Airways pilot alive?

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

Way off topic again,joined the Artillery with a young lad whose last name was Reah,yep,full title Gunner Reah .Had us sniggering like schoolkids for months!! Not a hit with the ladies either poor chap.

@ Tripehound....shouldn't laugh but my coffee came out my nose!!

A wee bit off topic but humorous none the less...

On Albert we would fairly regularly do the run to Ascension Island via a nightstop at Dakar in Senegal.

There is (or was) a reporting point on the N/S oceanic route that lies between Dakar and the Capo Verde Islands.

I spent my entire Herc career waiting for that perfect moment when I could respond to a Position Request with:

"ASCOT xxxx, we're over over over."

:coolio:

• Like 1

Or the mythical answer to a request for aircraft type and location. The pilot, who was flying a twin-engined "kneeling" transport aircraft over a southeastern coastal town, responded with "Andover over Dover, over."

But I digress...

I do recall a recruiting pamphlet from the late-80s which had a photo of a bunch of Jag drivers "mission planning". One of the pilots had the name "Ben Dover" on his grow-bag.

I once had an Army Air Corps colleague called James Scarlett. Caused some amusement every time someone came looking for Captain Scarlett!

I've also known various people with ridiculous names outside of the mob. I always thought these were joke names that no one would ever actually have for years but in my younger days I knew a Jo(anne) King. A friend of my mum's dad was called Iva Cramp and my wife once worked with a Teresa Green...

Edited by AjD

Back on topic our CFI in the Thailand Flying Club was Major Crashin.

Lovely old chap who used to regale us with tales of Bearcat flying over the border..

Colin

• Like 1