Pocher Ducati Panigale Build

David_64

Of course, I could not resist fiddling…..

So, here is the result after some careful bending:

left%20handle%20bar%20defect1_zps1dy0f3z

The good news is that it now closes, but the alignment is still off:

left%20handle%20bar%20defect2_zpsasguw43

At least it closes, but I don't know how it will wrap around the front fork.

I think I'll leave it for a while before I get too excited and do something really stupid. :banghead:

Nice save David, I think when mounting on the fork it wil be fine.

I found dcf-28 on mine is missing the hole to mount the shifter (page 24)

Will drill it tomorrow, Im making some progress here finally :-)

Nice save David, I think when mounting on the fork it wil be fine.

I found dcf-28 on mine is missing the hole to mount the shifter (page 24)

Will drill it tomorrow, Im making some progress here finally :-)

Odd…. I didn't have that problem...

David,

I did have the same problem, sorted it out as you did with gentle bending/twisting by hand. Give it another twist to align the ends with the screw axis and it will self-correct more if needed when tightened on the fork tube. I came here as soon as I got the email update to urge you not to glue it. A mechanical fix is always better.

• Like 1

David,

I did have the same problem, sorted it out as you did with gentle bending/twisting by hand. Give it another twist to align the ends with the screw axis and it will self-correct more if needed when tightened on the fork tube. I came here as soon as I got the email update to urge you not to glue it. A mechanical fix is always better.

Great feedback, Brady…. I'll continue with the gentle bending as you recommend and will keep all of you posted.

David,

Here is the result after some more bending as per your suggestions. A decent result for a nervous novice like me. Now, I hope it'll wrap properly around the fork:

bent_zps1qdle8pz.jpg

Thanks a lot for the help!

Hi, David,

Do you know the thread sizes of the screws used in this kit? I am looking into getting some replacements for the more obvious ones.

Regards

Keith,

Keith,

Is this the information you are looking for:

screw%20sizes_zps2xk8utm7.jpg

Both handle bars done:

both%20handle%20bars_zps3pk03v0x.jpg

Now mounting them; curious how that's going to go!

I have some interesting information from Hornby:

1. As I mentioned above, the horn decal was defective in my kit. I contacted them and they are going to send me a spare. This is the third time they are helping me out. This is exceptionally good customer service, I have to say.

2. The representative I communicated with had built the Ducati and he said something interesting about how to mount the mirrors. Those of you who follow this model closely will know that mounting the mirrors is a major challenge because of the lack of space available for "manly" fingers. Brady goes into great detail explaining how he went about solving this problem (see step 27 at http://www.scaleautoworks.com/PocherDucatiBuildingTips.html).The Hornby rep told me he first executed step 27 in the Manual (mounting front fairing + mirrors) before step 21 (mounting the handle bars). This might actually be a nice alternative. I think I will proceed as follows: I will first mount the handle bars as in step 21 to see whether they fit properly (given the issues with one of them explained above). Then I will take them off again. Then execute step 27 and then step 21 again.

I'll tell you how it goes.

Fingers crossed.

Success! The clamps of the handle bars fit the forks well enough for the screws to grap hold and tighten everything up. That's a relief :thumbsup:

I took them off again, and will proceed with mounting the fairing and mirrors tomorrow.

Mounted the mirrors:

mirrors_zpsgymiupx7.jpg

Here is how I proceeded:

1. I performed step 27 of the Manual before step 21, as indicated in a previous post. In other words, I mounted the front fairing and mirrors before putting on the handle bars. I think this helps a lot because it leaves more space for your fingers to mount the mirrors.

2. I pre-threaded the mirrors and put oil on the screws. The reason why I think this helps is that it reduced the force required to tighten the screws. One of the difficulties here is being able to apply enough force on the little screwdriver (that comes with the kit) to get the screws tight.

3. Despite the above, it's still a difficult operation requiring nimble finger contortions. As Brady said, a stiff drink is required to sooth the nerves after you have gone through this.

But they are on!!!! Tomorrow, I put the handle bars back on.

• Like 1

Nicely done David.

It sounds like this is the easier option for installing the fairing.

Do you forsee any problems installing the handle bars now?

Regards

Keith.

Normally not, as I believe the fairing leaves enough space to reach the screws for the handle bar clamps. I'll know for sure when I mount them, though. And that should be tonight or in the weekend. I'll make sure to tell you.

• Like 1

That is very helpfull info David, did you left the black body side's off on purpose?

This might also give more space and also be possible to glue them in later.

Step 27, left top corner F-04 and 05

https://admin.hornby.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/HK107_Manual.pdf

I initially glued them in, but they didn't hold properly and I took them back out.

I don't believe keeping them out makes it easier to attach the mirrors, as you don't really gain an extra space because of their absence.

However, I found that they are easier to glue when the fairing is mounted, because they will be supported on both sides rather than just one.

Another question: I use Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, but it doesn't appear to bond well and things get loose. Is that normal???

Another question: I use Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, but it doesn't appear to bond well and things get loose. Is that normal???

Hi David,

Tamiya extra thin cement is really designed for styrene based plastics.

Pocher kits are made from a variety of different plastics including ABS, I have found in the past that it won't always cement certain Pocher parts and then have to use an alternative.

Looking at the instructions it may be best to use a 5 minute epoxy such as Araldite for securing those parts. As they are so close to the windscreen clear parts I would NOT use Cyano based products as this may cause the screen to fog up.

Other people may have their own ideas?

Regards

Keith.

Hello David

I've been eagerly following your Ducati build as mine is at the same stage as yours. Having watched the video clip on the Airfix web site, showing the fitting of the upper fairing, I wasted all of Monday afternoon trying to do the same. When viewed closely, there are edits in the clip and at one point the builder appears to the turning the screw in the wrong direction. To cut to the chase, I never was able to fit the mirrors on my own and needed to 'Phone a Friend' to hold the mirrors in place while I fitted the screws from below.

I too removed the already fitted handlebars so that I could get at the screws. We had the mirrors in place in a few minutes and the handlebars went back without any problems. Just one word of warning before fitting the bars. I found that the clutch lever fluid reservoir was striking the inside of the fairing. The black lid needs to be pushed hard in place, in fact I used a small hammer(!!), it is a snug fit.

The earlier warning about superglue vapours fogging the windscreen is a sound one. My black trim inside the upper fairing was superglued in place before the windscreen was fitted and some slight white fogging on the red paintwork, polished off with ease.

The lower fairing panels on my model will get a non-standard finish and hopefully they will fit in place with no further pain when the time comes. I will post a photo when it is finished.

Best wishes

Alan