airfix bentley started!

lespaul

Great work! This is a kit I've wanted to buy and build since I was a young lad (and that was a long time ago!). Always great to see a 'Blower' being built!

Regards,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good. I'll be starting mine soon so I'm following your build closely.

I see some guys replaced the floor with wood. Would you know if the diamond thread plates or wooden floor will be more accurate?

Jeremy

• Like 1

Looking good. I'll be starting mine soon so I'm following your build closely.

I see some guys replaced the floor with wood. Would you know if the diamond thread plates or wooden floor will be more accurate?

Jeremy

I prefer the metal because its supposed to be a racing car.Wood is fine if its a roadside model IMO?

Eh?

Terrible photo I'm afraid, but I took this at The Goodwood Revival 2015. One of 2 blowers; the other had the wooden floor. Can't guarantee the accuracy or provenance of anything there though! If you want some better quality pics of the suspension area let me know...only had a couple of minutes for pics.

IMAG1575_zpsfue6jdnn.jpg

Terrible photo I'm afraid, but I took this at The Goodwood Revival 2015. One of 2 blowers; the other had the wooden floor. Can't guarantee the accuracy or provenance of anything there though! If you want some better quality pics of the suspension area let me know...only had a couple of minutes for pics.

IMAG1575_zpsfue6jdnn.jpg

Good shot bud,thanks

• Like 1

What's that in brass stuff in the door pockets? Different sizes of shot for shotguns?

Yes, that's to keep the riff raff away! Think I found some better shots somewhere...Will try to find upload them soon.

I'm currently working on the latest reissue of this kit. The chrome plating they are using is bullet proof! Bleach, oven cleaner and even caustic soda is not shifting the chrome!

I had that problem but I solved it by buying a bottle of photo etch fluid from Maplins,does it in mins!!!

Good shot bud,thanks

After seeing this pic,I think I will plank the floor the same?

• Like 1

LP, just some food for thought.

When I get round to building mine, I want to do the Birkin Pau GP car. For this race they removed the fenders and lights, I assume to save weight. I can imagine they also removed the passenger seat too - though there's no photographic evidence! This would give a nice opportunity to show some seat mounting detail on the floor. Somewhere I have a pic of the seat mechanism, but I'd have to hunt for it. From memory, it had a quick release thumbscrew with the usual pawl and ratchet job.

Out of interest, have you used the Maplin photoetch kit? Bought a book on home etching (which was pretty useless!). They ended up using the Maplin kit, but didn't look too professional!

Edited by vontrips

LP, just some food for thought.

When I get round to building mine, I want to do the Birkin Pau GP car. For this race they removed the fenders and lights, I assume to save weight. I can imagine they also removed the passenger seat too - though there's no photographic evidence! This would give a nice opportunity to show some seat mounting detail on the floor. Somewhere I have a pic of the seat mechanism, but I'd have to hunt for it. From memory, it had a quick release thumbscrew with the usual pawl and ratchet job.

Out of interest, have you used the Maplin photoetch kit? Bought a book on home etching (which was pretty useless!). They ended up using the Maplin kit, but didn't look too professional!

I just bought the fluid to `relic` guitar hardware (part of my job) and I thought that because itate into the nickel finish that it would do the same on the chrome plate.It worked brilliantly!!

This is my planking. Ive also started work on the headlight protectors. Cutting out the center section leaving a frame,fitted stainless steel mesh.Ill paint and chrome them tomo.

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

Looking good there. The replacement mesh looks infinitely better.

There are tons of photos of the engine available, but trying to figure out the wiring is taking more time than building the kit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...