Airfix 48th AW Merlin HC3a , Now a WIP...decaled, varnished and unmasked...

heloman1

Gotta admit I have (shh, say it quietly) the Italeri naval Merlin to build during my naviation series

LOOKS OK but I haven't gone in deep yet

It will be ghost grey too.   :)

Edited by perdu

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Gedens87 said:

Any developments?

At present, I'm hosting the Wessex STGB, which still has a week to run. Then I need to rearrange my studio/den and then I can get back to it, maybe mid April, once my sister returns to the UK.

Colin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I acquired this kit for £10 at Bovvy yesterday; by the time I get round to it I hope there are a few more ref pics for the Mk.4.  If I'm really lucky there might be some after market decals...

On 2/12/2017 at 11:01 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I acquired this kit for £10 at Bovvy yesterday; by the time I get round to it I hope there are a few more ref pics for the Mk.4.  If I'm really lucky there might be some after market decals...

Hi Crisp, I was wondering about AM decals, as the kit sheet is not one of Airfix's best attempts. I'll see what I can drum up once I'm back on the build, 72nd and 48th of course. With FLY NAVY plackards to boot...

Colin

7 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Crisp, I was wondering about AM decals, as the kit sheet is not one of Airfix's best attempts. I'll see what I can drum up once I'm back on the build, 72nd and 48th of course. With FLY NAVY plackards to boot...

Colin

I'd definitely be up for some of those.  I know very little about the Merlin, to be honest.  When I was training it was all "by the time you get to SPLOT, you won't be flying Sea Kings any more...", but somehow it all took much longer.  I have had a good crawl round an HM Mk.1, and recall being utterly gob-smacked by the sheer size of the thing, but that's about it.  I assume the main differences between Mks 3 & 4 is that the latter will have a folding head, tail, etc. plus other marinisation.  I know that it's possible to build a Mk.1 or 2 from the Airfix  Mk.3 (not least because of Andrew's stunning version on here), but it is probably more likely that I will build a token Junglie for my collection.  

But yes, definitely FLY NAVY placards!

This kind of stuff:

32816842022_05902399f4_b.jpg

32816842202_e5b0395177_k.jpg

Proper NATO Northern Flank Royal Marines, none of this Afghan nonsense!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1