Where to buy rigging wire?

vinnie the panda

Probably the best known brand is EZ Line made by the US company, Berkshire Junction. I'm not sure who all the stockists are in the UK, but you may be able to find it in the model railway section of your LHS. Little Cars is one of the UK distributors and the owner, Paul, is very active here on BM- http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/ez-line-31-c.asp. Wingnut Wings also carries it if you're ordering a kit from them.

• Like 1

Also try your local haberdashery (sewing) outlet, look for nylon monofilament in various colours I used it on my Sea King for the side mounted aerial wire which is Dark Brown so I drageed the line acoss a felt tip marker. CA fixed in position. Job done.

Colin

• Like 1

I agree with Colin. Haberdasheries sell all sorts of threads suitable for rigging and often in larger quantities and much, much cheaper than the rigging thread you get from dedicated modelling shops.

Dave

• Like 1

I think it is good to look at all brands, including Uschi,and decide which best suits your needs and pocketbook. Both these brands do have a flat profile (not round) and this is more noticeable with the heavier sizes. This is good thing if you need a flat wire look.

EZ Line

Fine – .010″ (0.25mm)

Heavy – .020″ (0.5mm)

Uschi

Standard: 0,03mm

Fine: 0,02mm

Superfine: 0,01mm

Haven't tried nylon mono filament, but a quick search gives .08mm as the smallest diameter size? Does this type have a true round appearance.? Also, how 'stretchy' is it, could one do this to it:

24371389964_649e108af3_z.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Great advice on the Haberdashery stores, I'm in town tomorrow morning too, I'll take a look. EZ line and Uschi (who stocks his stuff?) look favourites, they are quite expensive though, I don't really do many biplanes so I don't need that much of it, one roll would probably do me for life!

Try these:

Prym or Headline Knit-in elastic - about £2 for 200 metres. At that price you can afford not to like it.

Just to be clear, have not used the other products mentioned, so just saying this is another option. Your local haberdashers will sell it - but available on that well known new/2nd hand online emporium and that we sell it all and sound like a large river online retailer.

Examples of it's use - see my gallery on club website.

• Like 1

Try these:

Prym or Headline Knit-in elastic - about £2 for 200 metres. At that price you can afford not to like it.

Just to be clear, have not used the other products mentioned, so just saying this is another option. Your local haberdashers will sell it - but available on that well known new/2nd hand online emporium and that we sell it all and sound like a large river online retailer.

Examples of it's use - see my gallery on club website.

Great thanks I'll take a look later. :thumbsup2:

No apology required. WNW marks it up a tad...

Whose WNW? :shrug: