FAA Corsair II JT 410 HMS Victorious 1945 - finished

Ok my second STGB for the year!

I have been tossing around whether I was or wasn’t going to do a build for this one but the calendar is sort of free so why not!

So for this one I’ll be building a Fleet Air Arm Corsair II JT 410 off the carrier HMS Victorious, this will go along nicely with the Avenger/Tarpon I that I did for the FFA GB.

DSCF1030_zpsae7e4c11.jpg

The base model will be the lovely 1/48th Tamiya F4U-1A.

DSCF3002_zpslf0dadtd.jpg

Plus a few extras thrown in, Eduard PE bits…

DSCF3005_zpsa8j0eltk.jpg

…..UltraCast seat with the right seatbelts…though it does look a wee bit small!

DSCF3004_zpsrejf3tpc.jpg

….plus decals from EagleCal.

DSCF3006_zpsfrq7hzyz.jpg

Being a FAA Corsair there will be a couple of mods required, most notably I need to clip the wings. A simple task on the Tamiya model…luckily! Plus there are some other minor changes needed as well, and if I can’t be bothered to do them from scratch then I may get the MDC Corsair Mk. II & Mk. IV conversion kit.

Hopefully I can make a start this weekend, whilst I’m waiting for bits to dry on the Thunderbolt.

• Like 9

Good choice Rich. I like the Tamiya version.

It has been a while that I builded one, but If my memory serves me right you should fill the foot rest on the flap.

I think someone will now that for sure.

I will also do a FAA version, but will do it in 1/72.

Cheers,

Good choice Rich. I like the Tamiya version.

It has been a while that I builded one, but If my memory serves me right you should fill the foot rest on the flap.

I think someone will now that for sure.

I will also do a FAA version, but will do it in 1/72.

Cheers,

oh ok..hadn't actually read up on all the changes I need to make yet, I didn't know that, but I know there are a few I need to do.

It was going to be a straight forward build but..........

I'll blame a night of drinking Margaritas for this....but it seems I went shopping last night or in the wee hours of the morning and have bought a lot of "extras" for this build!! :doh: Basically , new engine, new cowlings, new U/C doors, new wheels, and the MDC Corsair II & IV conversion kit...I think that was it!!!! Plus I have a feeling I may have placed some rather large bits on evilBay for a Collect-Aire XF-103 Thunderwarrior and F-107A Ultimate Super Sabre....opps! :whistle:

• Like 3

ok resin wheel wells aside.....

I actually did do quite a bit to this today but unfortunately no photos are on-line at the moment.......I did take a few.

As mentioned I did buy a lot of extra bits the other night (luckily I missed out on the Collect-Aire stuff, it went higher than the crazy bids I placed!!!!!), so I can't do too much until they arrive!

Basically most of the nose will be replaced including engine, this won't be a Vector one, a Quick Boost one instead (was cheaper) but the Cowling flaps are Vectors. Plus as mentioned also the MDC conversion set for the Corsair II & IV, and some wheels and a pitot probe for a MiG-29!!!!!! :confused:

Anyway I work of the undercarriage first replacing lots of bit with Eduard PE bits......actually looks quite good.

Glued the outer wing sections ready for removing the tips...have marked them out so that will be first task when I get back to this.

Glued flaps together and filled in the step on the RHS.

Removed trim tap actuators ready for PE replacements, plus cleaned up wheel wells! They had some horrible mould plugs in them!

Finally I started some of the mod work in the cockpit, removed solid seat bracket. Looks like a get a seat with the MDC set, so now have four (including kit seat), will use the best looking/accurate one.

I won't do too much until the Thunderbolt is out of the way...it's all glossed up, so hopefully that'll be finished on the weekend I get home!

I plan this build to be quite a quick one.....unless I start modifying this one.......the Brewster rack and lower vent nearby bug me!!!

oh ok..hadn't actually read up on all the changes I need to make yet, I didn't know that, but I know there are a few I need to do.

It was going to be a straight forward build but..........

I'll blame a night of drinking Margaritas for this....but it seems I went shopping last night or in the wee hours of the morning and have bought a lot of "extras" for this build!! :doh: Basically , new engine, new cowlings, new U/C doors, new wheels, and the MDC Corsair II & IV conversion kit...I think that was it!!!! Plus I have a feeling I may have placed some rather large bits on evilBay for a Collect-Aire XF-103 Thunderwarrior and F-107A Ultimate Super Sabre....opps! :whistle:

Rich, having bought all these other bits do you still need anything that Tamiya originally put in the box ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

After a week away with work I decided to get back to this build first rather than the P-47…the decaling was scaring me!

While I was away and today my friendly postman had brought me lots of nice birthday pressies and there’s more to come!!

DSCF3025_zpsrede5kmq.jpg

These will either correct a few issues or improve a couple of areas, the MDC kit is very nice!

As mentioned last post I had done quite a bit of prep work. The undercarriage has been built up and modified for the PE bits, it does look a lot better!

DSCF3044_zpso9ro7rjc.jpg

I had before and after photo. but the card in my camera crapped out!!

The seat frame was replaced, new brackets for the foot rests, mould marks in the main wheel wells removed along with new PE bits fitted.

DSCF3026_zpsz3brdlnr.jpg

The wing tips have been clipped, I still need to remove a wee bit more to get the scale right (need to remove 4.3mm for 1/48th), but first I need to fit new clear tip lights. The lights actually need to be moved in about 1.5mm further into the wing!

DSCF3035_zpsbb4vwy7m.jpg

The new resin cowling may seem a bit of over kill but it is surprising just how much there is to be seen! The mod kit has a new front and cowling flaps along with the brackets.

DSCF3031_zpsziophgqv.jpg

DSCF3027_zpshdjjyr8i.jpg

Old and new

The first scary job was to cut up a perfectly good cowling! The front section was removed at the panel line.

DSCF3029_zpsjqajmpuj.jpg

Now because I loss a bit of plastic in this process I needed to add a “shim” to keep the length and profile right. It looks a bit rough but it needs to be slimmed down a bit, as it is it gives me plenty of meat to work with.

DSCF3033_zpsld02zpwr.jpg

I think it’s going to look amazing when done, the engine is being replaced with a resin one.

DSCF3034_zpscktvb1c3.jpg

I now have more seats than I know what to do with, I like the MDC one as it looks right, so will use that.

DSCF3038_zps1pqfspyl.jpg

kit, MDC, Ultra Cast, plus unmade Eduard

I needed to remove part of its resin frame to fit. It’s just resting there at the moment but it should look great once in and painted.

DSCF3039_zpsmjdjwrk9.jpg

The MDC mod kit has the correct sidewalls for the FAA aircraft (they have the correct FAA radio gear) so the kit ones needed to be ground off. Plus the detail on them is really nice. I’m not using a AM cockpit just the MDC bits and Eduard PE.

DSCF3040_zpsjt8cmqjm.jpg

DSCF3041_zpsft0jrobr.jpg

Plus the inner wings are now together as well, so they need to be cleaned up as well

Well I’m now at the painting stage, so I have a big painting day planned for tomorrow. I need to wish all the resin bits (and plastic) then as usual undercoat of steel Metalizer paint before the colour coats. For these I will be going with Interior Green for the cockpit and YZC for everything else.

• Like 6

Nice progres Rich.

Love the cowling from vector. Are you going to use a resin engine as well?! That would be the cherry on the cake.

Cheers,

yeap, I have a QuickBoost one on the way, the engine and inside the front section of the cowling is quite visible so I figured I should.

• Like 1

I will follow your build closely as I am planing to use some of the resin stuff too.

I found the QuickBoost R2800 engine a bit disappointing - it looks great, but is too small in diameter and looks therefore a bit small in the cowling.

Depending how much of the exhaust system is visible with the cowling flaps open, I may use the Vector engine.

Cheers, Peter

hopefully it's better than the kit engine! Worse comes to worse I'll just fit a Vector engine in!

spent over an hour on the cowling fitting the flap mechanisms and cowling supports, looks amazing!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like ages since I updated this build, I haven’t forgotten about it. I have been doing quite a bit since the last update but for some reason can’t really get into this build. It’s a cool aircraft and I haven’t built one before but I don’t have the motivation like with the Thunderbolt, right up to the very start I was tossing up whether to join this build or not……anyway….

The cowling as mentioned previously was cut up for the new resin bits, new internal bits were added to the cowling ring and cowling flaps along with control wire (??). There’s quite a bit of difference with the original and luckily most of it will be seen.

DSCF3045_zpsvc1cifzs.jpg

DSCF3046_zpsxhwki2i2.jpg

A wee bit of paint and the start of some painted detailing and they don’t look too bad.

DSCF3070_zpsgcwd0lka.jpg

The undercarriage has been painted and weathering/detailing has started.

DSCF3076_zpsm01fpso2.jpg

The modifications specific to the Mk. II have been completed, the wing tips have been clipped and tip lights added.

DSCF3073_zpsydkvtvk8.jpg

Plus there are a couple of tiny air intakes added to either side of the fuselage, a third need to be mounted at the bottom of the fuselage, there is also a identification light that needed to be added to the upper port side wing near the tip. It’s just sitting there at the moment but will be glued in place once painting is complete.

Mk.II%20mods_zpsbixq5vkg.jpg

The interior has been painted and weathering and detailing started, since these photos were taken I have done quite a bit more and it's almost together. It doesn’t look too bad but I may leave the canopy closed for this build.

DSCF3072_zpsidcjfujl.jpg

DSCF3071_zpshbndvawp.jpg

The wings are altogether and wheel wells painted, just some detailing to do there.

DSCF3075_zps0ezb1v0j.jpg

The prop is pretty well done as well, just some decals to do.

DSCF3077_zpswiwsivw9.jpg

The new engine hasn’t arrived yet which is a bit of a pain, bt won’t slow the build down at all. I can pretty much finish it before I need to fit the engine…which is nice.

As mentioned I have don’t quite a bit more since these photos were taken, photo’s in next update.

• Like 3