Car Filler Woes! Peeling off...

Radleigh

I think this is the right section, it's my vacform Martin Mars that is causing me a few issues.

I'm using FEW car filler, same as P38 but slightly better (imo) but for some reason it's just peeling off the plastic, which has now caused me a complete nightmare as the plastic is already pretty thin so rubbing it down to many times will result in the kit being binned or serious surgery & that I don't want..! I've never had this before, and I've worked with car filler a million times as a paint sprayer by trade since 2001. So, what's wrong.... The FEW is old, but probably 5-6 years old, shouldn't be the issue? The area is as clean as a whistle, I've also tried priming it using car filler primer and then filling over that, but again the filler is just peeling off.

To say I'm miffed is an understatement..... Any help or ideas please!

Thank you all..

Sticks really well, give it about 2 hours and it lifts slightly... you can then pull it up like dead skin and it just keeps going... Never had a problem before with old filler, I can only assume this is older than I think it is.... Looks like this lot is going in the bin though, will get a new one tomorrow! Thanks for replying :)

The plastic could be too smooth for the filler to grip

How about drilling a few small holes or making some really deep scratches without a follow-up cleaning and then retrying that filler

I've done lots of working with car filler (you saw the Midget :) ) and I wouldnt think three or four years old would stop it grabbing!

I reckon its because it isn't melting into the surface of the plasticard so it can let go when cured, I'd expect that to be a peculiar quality of the source kit's plastic chemistry

(Trust me Radders, a few small holes to get the filler on both sides of the skin. Sorted)

• Like 1

I think I'd get all the loose stuff off, give it the once over with a spray coat of your favourite filler/primer, and then put some brand new fresh filler on it.

If brand new filler doesn't stick to the primer coat I wouldn't know what to do.

• Like 1

I've already got new filler Bill, so will give that a try. One thing we used to do in the films was to wash the plastic with a chemical to liven it up, I will try it with this & hope it doesn't melt the thin plastic....

Update, soon...

• Like 2

I think I'd get all the loose stuff off, give it the once over with a spray coat of your favourite filler/primer, and then put some brand new fresh filler on it.

If brand new filler doesn't stick to the primer coat I wouldn't know what to do.

Managed to chisel most off (including a chunk from my palm) bar a few very small bits that I will rub down.. So it's all good to go now :) Thanks for replying..

• Like 1

I've already got new filler Bill, so will give that a try. One thing we used to do in the films was to wash the plastic with a chemical to liven it up, I will try it with this & hope it doesn't melt the thin plastic....

Update, soon...

I tried that...once...with less than optimum results :weep: I hope your attempt goes better.

• Like 1

[uPDATE]

I wiped over with a very small amount of celleous thinners, left to dry and then applied new P38, good as gold.... It's stuck like sh*t to a blanket!

Which now means I can carry on with the Mars... :D

• Like 2