British M-Class Monitor Submarine - 1/350 scale from Mikro-Mir

The Mikro-Mir kit is supposed to be HMS M.1 - but as I already had a resin model of M.1, I decided to make HMS M.2 - before she was comverted into an aircraft-carrying sub.

The only changes I made were to source the M2 decals from my spares box - white characters on top of black to get the 'shadow' effect.

I also left off the deck gun - Internet photos show it not fitted....

350-HMS%20M1_20.jpg

350-HMS%20M1_21.jpg

The M-Class were nicknamed 'Mutton Boats' - because the 12in gun mounting looked like a leg of mutton.

350-HMS%20M1_22.jpg

350-HMS%20M1_23.jpg

HMS M1 and M2 together......

350-HMS%20M1_24.jpg

This is another in the expanding range of 1/350 scale subs from Mikro-Mir

I understand that they are planning to make HMS M2 with a hangar and floatplane - plus M3 when she was converted into a minelayer.

Ken

• Like 16

I also left off the deck gun - Internet photos show it not fitted....

Hi Ken,

Excellent builds and paintwork. :thumbsup:

M1 and M2 both had a deck gun; a 3inch/40calibre, 2cwt High Angle Mk.II. This was fitted on a disappearing mounting and would be raised and lowered by hydro-pneumatic power. It fired a 12.5 lb pound shell to an altitude of 23,000 feet, but it could also be used in the low-angle role. The boats carried a maximum of 100 rounds for this gun. (source: m-class submarines by Martin H. Brice; Outline Series NV1). Your model of M2 shows it in the lowered position.

Mike

Thanks Mike - I was just going by a photo I found on't t'interweb that didn't show the gun.

Photographs of these boats are hard to find - and every one appears to be different - with different camo schemes, fittings etc.

The one I based my model on also had two shadowed 'M.2's (with the full stop) on the vertical superstructure below the main gun muzzle - either side of the 'prow'(?) as well as the M2 (no full stop) horizontally on the decking in front of the bridge (presumably for aircraft recognition??)

As I didn't have any white/black decals small enough for the front pair, my model is as she was just prior to these being painted on. :whistle:

Ken

Edited by Flankerman