Hello Gentlemen, this will be my entry to the F4U Corsair STGB.

33778FA1-6781-4E70-AB78-8DD81CFB8B86_zps

Tamiya 1/72 scale Bird Cage Corsair

8D808420-278F-4784-86DC-B43AE1DB045D_zps

The model sprues.

DAC739AA-DCFF-4DDC-8374-7C8CF78DE5EA_zps

Xtradecal Set X72140 Yanks with Roundels Part 1

30DA27DB-35BA-4BB5-B133-5DA58C594A79_zps

The Decal Sheet.

B31A40D7-A7E8-44EA-942E-8DC8C68E15CC_zps

Eduard Zoom Set SS270

Thanks for looking, Joe

• Like 6

If it's anything like the 1/48 version it's going to be pretty good.

Looking forward to it.

John

Thank you John, the 1/48th version is a superb model. I've just looked, the Bird Cage Corsair was first released in 1996! I've made a few 1/48th Tamiya Corsairs over the years and enjoyed making every one of them. There is a link below for two of them I posted on britmodeller if your interested. Joe

Remember to save the -1D propeller for use on your Eduard F6F Hellcat or Hasegawa TBM-3 Avenger. Or 1/2 of a Monogram Tigercat.

-d-

Thank you David. I didn't know that.

Joe, your previous Corsairs are all brilliant. It'll be fun to watch what you do with the 1/72 kit.

Excellent advice on the spare propeller David, I'll have to try and file that away.

Hi Cookie, thank you.

Cool choice Joe, can't wait for you to start

Rob

Hello Rob. Thanks, I'll keep an eye on your Corsair.

Just a quick up date. I've sprayed some of the model while still on the sprue with Mr Color zinc chromate.

D09AC44B-A568-4FFD-9875-6796A814AEFC_zps

I'm not sure what paint I am going to use yet. I would like to use Mr Color if the colours are available. I used them on my last build and I was very pleased with them. Thanks for looking, Joe

• Like 3

I used Tamiya Fine white surface primer on the belly and Mr Color Intermediate and Gloss Sea Blues on my 32nd scale Corsair. They sprayed beautifully and dried quickly, but both blues were too dark and had to be lightened up a bit before i was happy with them.

-d-

• Like 1

Thank you David, the colours for the aircraft I'm building are ANA603, ANA613 & ANA602 according to the decal instructions.

This is the last 1/72 Fleet Air Arm Cosair I made a while ago. As you can see, it's in a later colour scheme.

ED86CAF4-ED3F-419D-9675-6F410ABDF201_zps

• Like 7

A quick dry run of the main components. 53 plastic parts & 1 poly cap make up the model if built straight from the box. I've made two 1/72nd Tamiya Corsairs before, so I know the fit of parts is very good. I will have to clip the wing tips which I believe was eight inches on the actual aircraft. According to a scale calculator, that works out to 2.82mm being removed from each wing tip. The etched parts set has over 50 parts (I'm not good enough to use all those!).

B2E1F951-9092-4E15-B008-ED936B4CD884_zps

The fuselage & wings plus some cockpit & engine parts.

Thanks for looking, Joe

• Like 5

I've seen photos on the internet of land based aircraft with the wings clipped, but not that actual aircraft. I intend to use the information that is supplied with the decal sheet which shows the subject with the wings clipped.

If its a Birdcage Corsair based in the USA, i seriously doubt the wingtips were clipped. Do you have an actual photo to go from?

-d-

Plenty were clipped during 1944-1945.

From what I've seen so far on this STGB, my build is going to be a bit tame. I'm still not sure if the wings were clipped on this aircraft, I'll try to find out more, but if I draw a blank I will go with the decal sheet information.

I've done very little since my last update, just applied some Flory wash.

28D87CFE-E146-4B59-8337-C94ABD614F4B_zps

Flory wash applied. After cleaning up on the left & before on the right.

I don't know if it looks a bit dark. I will paint in the detail and see how it looks then.

Thanks for looking, Joe.

• Like 4

I didn't mean to add to the confusion, but IIRC this was a subject of discussion on one of the other modelling forums a while ago.

The takeaway is, if it was a U.S.-based Corsair Mk. I (F4U-1 Birdcage) used at Quonset Point or Brunswick, most photos show them with full span wingtips. Depending on whose reference you read, Blackburn Aircraft modified Corsairs with clipped wingtips at Roosevelt field, Long Island for those Corsairs being shipped to the UK. There were some Birdcages based in Scotland; Not sure about Northern Ireland, and i cannot recall the wingtip configuration but i do remember seeing at least one with the beefed-up headrest/ rollover structure without the rear windows.

Raised-Hood -1A Corsairs are a pretty open-and-shut case, but you need to look closely at photos of Birdcage Corsairs to see if the wingtips were actually modified.

david

• Like 1

Thank you David. I think I need to go away and do a bit more research before continuing. Regards, Joe.

It's JT145 you're doing isn't it? I found this photograph of '5A' which may be the correct airframe and has non-clipped wings: 6897857859_bd0b77c218_z.jpg

According to Sturtivant, the aircraft had the u/c retract on landing in 1943 but the aircraft is still on record in 1945 with 738 Sqn.

• Like 3

Thank you very much 85sqn, looks like you've come up trumps. Thank you for your help. Regards, Joe

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Joe,

That's an excellent choice of model. I have this kit in my wishlist and will be following your build with great interest. Great work so far, as usual. Looking forward to further posts :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1