1:35 MAS 500 MTB

Shar2

In another attempt to nurture the old mojo I grabbed the Italeri 1:35 MAS 500 MTB out of the stash. Whilst a complete joy to build, those damned stripes on the foredeck still bother me. The majority of pictures I've seen show the red sections to be diagonal, yet in the photograph I've seen of this particular boat they definitely looked straight. So in the interests of confusion I've decided that the back story is to be that Lt Cdr Macadamia went nuts when he saw how Seamen Grappa and Antonio had painted the foredeck. But since the boat was needed for an urgent mission it had to be left as it was, and that's how it stayed.
The coxswain is at the wheel and the rest of the crew are yet to be painted, so eventually will be fully manned.

fin1.jpg

fin2.jpg

fin3.jpg

fin4.jpg

fin5.jpg

fin6.jpg

• Like 13

Lovely crisp finish - I like the shine on the torpedoes, and as always those barber pole stripes add a visual interest unique to Italian subjects.

Ross.

That is a beautiful build Dave, looks great. If you are portraying M.A.S.558 the stripes should have been diagonal:

M.A.S._558.jpg

I wouldn't lose any sleep on that though your build is gorgeous and it also seems to be a huge step to regaining the mojo thingie. On to the G-5? :goodjob::winkgrin:

That is a beautiful build Dave, looks great. If you are portraying M.A.S.558 the stripes should have been diagonal:

A photo of 558 would show Dave has the stripes right, well at the time this was taken anyway.

ed7c6c3a0221bdf4ff5ab9fed37c6f37.jpg

Nice job Dave.

Julien

• Like 1

Julien collates and posts all the photographs in our walkround area.

No poo-poo? Fascinating, going by his photo I thought he was a Ninja turtle with jaundice :winkgrin:

Wasn't knocking your build Dave, nice to see you back building again.

Cheers mate.

• Like 1

Dave I like your build a lot and the creepy thing about this is also getting my mojo back. I have in the last week started my MAS boat! It will probably take some time due to my hands as I can work for half an hour and then have to rest for a similar period before starting again.Hull is progressing and some of the smaller sub assemblies.I am humming and harring about the red and white stripes though so I will probably chicken out and do the black sea version!

PS I am still fighting with the PE for the nose of the hull to fit properly,any suggestions as to the best adhesive?

Paul

Hi Paul, sorry to hear you're having health issues too, hope the prognosis is good.

I use zap thin ca glue, I did one side first having folded it around the bow, then, when that had set, did the other side.

What's a " walkaround coordinator " ?

I was under the impression he walks around a lot, co-ordinating..

Nice build Dave, I never comment in here much but this grabbed me, keep it up mate :) (Is this big in 1/35th btw?)

• Like 1

Straight or diagonal aside, what's the story behind the stripes - perhaps a version of the RAF's air-sea rescue checkerboard marking?

The stripes were there to prevent friendly fire incidents from the air.

Very gd buddy i like her a lot , being interesting this one come together

Lovely paint scheme

As to the guy at the bow perhaps underwater phone?

Look at the crew at the stern stood in line for inspection , officers on bridge shes making no seaway but looks close to the vessel taking the pic more like shes entering harbour ??

Also the guy seems to be listening but has something held to his mouth??

Just a thought im a Panzer guy so maybe not but the Italian navy invested heavily in special forces tween the wars

Really nice, interesting about the stripes. They may have helped with friendly fire but I imagine they made it a bit easier for non-friendly fire as well...

I was under the impression he walks around a lot, co-ordinating..

I do a fair bit of walking around museums taking pics. Usually ends up with me limping though on a bad knee!