**FINISHED** 1/48 AMK Mig-31 Foxhound

Muzz

I had initially planned for this to go in the stash when it arrived as I have a couple of other builds on the go, however, couldn't resist and before I knew what was happening I was sticking bits of plastic together.

ff9f4c45-e79d-400a-9a32-bab9bd053ea2.jpg

20160130_143543.jpg

I started of the upper fuselage and main wings, slats and flaps can be dropped or raised. I decided to have them raised as that appears to be the norm for an aircraft at rest.

20160201_194853-1.jpg

Then it was on with the painting of the wheel wells to allow the lower fuselage to come together, this is more or less in keeping with the instructions.

Nose gear bay.

c4dc0e1e-06ec-48f0-b0fe-f0a2050fdcb6.jpg

Main landing gear bays with the intake trunking included behind the bays.

20160201_144259.jpg

• Like 9

I had initially planned for this to go in the stash when it arrived as I have a couple of other builds on the go, however, couldn't resist and before I knew what was happening I was sticking bits of plastic together.

good !

that is how good manufactures mkae kits getingt started/built!

I am feeling the same for my Kinetic Su-33..... somehow I can "smell" the start already!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

Getting started on the cockpit, Akan paint used for cockpit colour. No decals supplied with the kit for instruments so followed Mike's (I think?!) lead and got some decals for Soviet Jets, not quite as up to date as they should be but I'm planning on having the canopies closed so won't lose any sleep over it.

20160208_143136-1.jpg

20160209_142416.jpg

20160209_142508-1.jpg

20160209_142427.jpg

• Like 7

The main wheel wells are in place and the intake trunking and engines added. I've not painted the engines as it wont be seen, the inside of the intake trunking is painted Tamiya Flat Aluminium as with the wheel bays.

20160201_194828.jpg

20160201_194734-1-1.jpg

Nose gear bay and gear leg. The gear leg has to be added as you build up the walls of the bay.

8a0338bf-03b3-442e-9442-ecb55535ceb9.jpg

As with everything so far it all fits perfectly.

• Like 4

Having just finished one for Airfix Model World magazine I must say it's a superb model. A lot of careful thought has gone into the engineering of the parts helping to make it a real pleasure to build.

As you can see with Mike's build there are no dramas to speak of, you'll have a lot of fun with it.....

Melchie

• Like 3

I am having a lot of fun with this build, an amazing kit! More progress...................

Fin assembly together, this also forms part of the rear fuselage sides.

20160201_195037_1.jpg

And the bottom and top fuselage halves together with fins added.

20160205_121057_1.jpg

20160205_121115.jpg

Fit was excellent as standard!

Looking good. :coolio:

Just curious to know though, in my example of this kit, clear part J12 has what looks like a rather nasty flow mark, has anybody else noticed this?

Ian

Just checked my two kits and they both have a very thin flow line on J12, and also on J11. Not sure that it will show up on the finished model (when I eventually get to start it again after the house move)

It certainly is a big chunk of plastic, the book it's sitting on is A4 size!

Yeah, as mentioned in other posts, Ikea are going to have to get cracking on a larger display case! It's certainly too big to fit in the current ones

Les

• Like 1

Got the front fuselage added, the cockpit slides in without a problem, I have made an error fixing the front undercarriage well in place, it's a couple a mm or so too far back, I didn't discover this until it was well and truly fixed in place and I decided it would cause too much damage fixing it. Possibly as a result I had a small problem fixing the front fuselage in place and out popped the tiniest amount of filler, my fault!

20160210_191540-1-1.jpg

20160210_191454-1.jpg

You can see in the above photo I've used a tiny amount of filler at the rear end too, a couple of ejector pin marks inside the stabilizers and just at the rear exhaust area. I've left of the afterburners for now so they can be painted separate, the instructions say to add them along with the engines and trunking. I made sure they would slide in, which they do.

Bit of a delay in the main build as I'm ready to put a coat of primer down and I was waiting on a set of canopy masks arriving so I cracked on with the R-33 missiles, painted with Mr Metal Color Stainless Steel and Mr Hobby Off White.

20160216_104443-1.jpg

20160217_130231-1.jpg

I also took a deep breath and sprayed the canopy to tint it with the orange/bronze shade that the canopies turn. I mixed some Tamiya Clear Yellow with Mr Hobby Clear Red, I thought I'd made a right mess of it but once dry it turned out not to bad.

20160220_160833.jpg

• Like 7