RAF Tugs

bar side

Hi

What was the preferred RAF tug vehicle in late 70s / early 80s for the likes of the Phantoms and Tornados? I have seen the USAF 1/48 kits with a Harlan tow tractor, but I doubt the RAF had them - wonder if they made it to UK USAF bases like Lakenheath & Bentwaters (if so were they yellow or green?)? I have a feeling I have seen yellow Ford 5000 tractors as RAF tows from this era. If so that is roughly do-able for 1/48 via 1/43 o-gauge models.

Cheers

We used to use the Douglas Taskmaster https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexandernilssen/3979992858/ in the 70's for everything from Phantoms to Canberras then moved onto the Douglas Super Taskmaster in the late 70's and into the 80's http://www.mod-natodisposals.com/ljdbase/files/IMG_0907-20110428-150644.JPG.

XVTonker

Cheers XVTonka & thanks for the links - I think a 1/48 Taskmaster is going to be wishful thinking. One for a scratch build one day. Might settle for a Harlan and scratch build a cab.

I would like to build a model of the Taskmaster.It would go nicely with my dual-serialled Gnat model.While he was on detached duty at Machrihanish,a bored J/T decided to play silly beggars with the towing vehicle in the nearly-empty Gaydon hangar,resulting in a visiting Gnat having to fly out the following week with the rear fuselage of a sister aircraft fitted,after it was brought up from Valley in a Hercules.

• Like 1

The Taskmaster looks just like a Fordson Major tracktor weith soem bodywork attached. The Super looks like it could be the same underpinnings with some less than fancy shaped (boxy) body work. The former, not too difficult to kit bash for a die-cast model.

Colin

• Like 1

I am no expert on tugs,but I have now realised that the tug involved in the accident(?) at Machrihanish was a Sentinel Tugmaster,not a Taskmaster,and that a kit is available.Please excuse my ignorance on the subject.

I think that I will have to break the bank and buy the Tugmaster kit before I finish the Gnat.Luckily the Gnat that came to grief is XP500,as depicted in the 1/48TH Airfix kit,so all that I have to do is change the serial number and tail code.Unfortunately,I didn't record the registration number of the Tugmaster.I wonder if the accident report is recorded somewhere?The airman left the station in deep trouble,so something must be recorded!

• Like 1

I intend to make this my last posting on this subject,as four-wheeled thingies are not usually in my sphere of interest.Have you tracked down the thread,R.A.F.tug for V-bombers,started by Bravo Lima,Mar 19,2009?There are loads of tug pictures,and even drawings for the Tugmaster and another tractor.On the web there is a video of a tugmaster towing XM655.I remember the one at Machrihanish was supporting a Buccaneer detachment,by the way.I am amazed at all the different tug types that seem to have been used,and there is even an M.T.Drivers dedicated web-site which deals with them.I'm getting out of here!

• Like 1

The Massey Ferguson was a very common sight towing early Tornados etc. This one has recently been restored into colours worn during the early 1980s. Unfortunately I don't think there are any kits available.

17146087542_13bd110cda_c.jpg

The good old Massey Ferguson MF50 or as we used to know them The Pope! Named after the Popemobile!

I've just had a very interesting chat with Neil Gaunt at AIM and he thinks the idea of producing a range of post-war aircraft tugs in 1/72 & 1/48 scale very appealing, in fact he sent me the following screenshots of a Douglas Super Taskmaster design within half an hour showing his Catia design.

It seems that this is another of the kits delayed due to his wife's illness and death.

The kits will be available in 1:72 & 1:48, not 1:144 but possibly 1:32

Super%20Taskmaster-1.pngSuper%20Taskmaster-2.pngSuper%20Taskmaster-3.png

It would be very interesting to see whether a kit of the Super Taskmaster would be of interest to other Britmodeller? I know I'll be getting a couple of each in 1/72 & 1/48 scales for future dioramas...

XVTonker

Edited by xvtonker
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been talking with Neil and have some news on the RAF tractor/tug front.

He's received the test etchings for the Super Taskmaster, which he says are excellent and of high quality. Also, after much discussion I've managed to persuade him to produce a model of the Douglas Taskmaster, also known as the Medium tractor that was widely used in the 1970's. He provided me with some CAD shots that look amazing.

1.png ​ 4.png2.png5.png

Neil expects masters in 1/72 & 1/48 scale for both tractors to arrive next week so hopefully we'll see them available in the very near future.

XVTonker :pilot:

Edited by xvtonker
  • Like 2

The Taskmaster CAD looks very good. So that would be an etch kits too I presume?

Saw an old ESCI kit on ebay last week with a Ford tractor tug - the attached website suggests this could be seen in Germany at RAF bases?

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/164727.aspx

With a US take on things there is an offering from Skunkworks which looks nice

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skunkworks-Tow-Tractor-Force-48028/dp/B00A4U3ZVM

Kind of tempted to go with the Hasegawa US ground crew set & replace the tractor when a taskmaster comes along & a proper houchin

The Taskmaster CAD looks very good. So that would be an etch kits too I presume?

Saw an old ESCI kit on ebay last week with a Ford tractor tug - the attached website suggests this could be seen in Germany at RAF bases?

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/164727.aspx

With a US take on things there is an offering from Skunkworks which looks nice

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skunkworks-Tow-Tractor-Force-48028/dp/B00A4U3ZVM

Kind of tempted to go with the Hasegawa US ground crew set & replace the tractor when a taskmaster comes along & a proper houchin

The Ford tractor tug wasn't used on RAF bases in Europe, but was used on the USAF bases.

AIM's medium tractor is made up of resin and white metal parts. Don't think there will be an etched set.

XVTonker

Edited by xvtonker