RAF Tugs

bar side

To be honest Scooby, we only called the big units like the MD300 'tugs', the smaller ones were usually called tractors.

Whilst on Maple Flag with 6 Sqn Jags a few of us wondered what the heck the CAF meant when they asked if we wanted a mule to move a jet into the hangar......

XVTonker

To be honest Scooby, we only called the big units like the MD300 'tugs', the smaller ones were usually called tractors.

Whilst on Maple Flag with 6 Sqn Jags a few of us wondered what the heck the CAF meant when they asked if we wanted a mule to move a jet into the hangar......

XVTonker

Was that in 2000? I was stationed in Cold a Lake from 1999-2007. I remember when 6 Squadron attended Maple Flag in 2000. I think that was the last time we had Jaguars visit, I took a lot of photographs of them.

• 2 months later...

I've just had a very interesting chat with Neil Gaunt at AIM and he thinks the idea of producing a range of post-war aircraft tugs in 1/72 & 1/48 scale very appealing, in fact he sent me the following screenshots of a Douglas Super Taskmaster design within half an hour showing his Catia design.

It seems that this is another of the kits delayed due to his wife's illness and death.

The kits will be available in 1:72 & 1:48, not 1:144 but possibly 1:32

Super%20Taskmaster-1.pngSuper%20Taskmaster-2.pngSuper%20Taskmaster-3.png

It would be very interesting to see whether a kit of the Super Taskmaster would be of interest to other Britmodeller? I know I'll be getting a couple of each in 1/72 & 1/48 scales for future dioramas...

XVTonker

Now showing as available at Hannants.

Was that in 2000? I was stationed in Cold a Lake from 1999-2007. I remember when 6 Squadron attended Maple Flag in 2000. I think that was the last time we had Jaguars visit, I took a lot of photographs of them.

Be very interested to see those - as would the SEPECAT Jaguar group on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/174883289270119/ ) Can't remember what year I did Maple Flag - probably mid 90's

It's good to see that we now have both the Medium and Super Taskmaster tractors available after all this time, and in both 1:72 and 1:48! Here are the four links:

1:72 Medium tractor - https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE72048

1:48 Medium tractor - https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE48048

1:72 Super Taskmaster tractor - https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE72049

1:48 Super Taskmaster - https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE48049

And as icing on the cake, I believe there are models of the current F59 medium tractor coming soon.

XVTonker :pilot:

• Like 1

I've had a quick look and it appears to be a straight forward build. Can anyone help with the correct shade of yellow used on RAF Vehicles?

27422586516_7a620303e1_c.jpg

BS 381c 356 Golden yellow.

Selwyn

XVTonker

On that det we took our own JCB Fastrac for towing, even used it to move a German C160 Transall, would be nice to get a good model of one of those and the previously used Unimog.

On that det we took our own JCB Fastrac for towing, even used it to move a German C160 Transall, would be nice to get a good model of one of those and the previously used Unimog.

Watch this space.....Some news due from AIM72 on the Fastrac..

XVTonker

• 8 months later...

Got an old ESCI ground crew set the other day and the tractor does look cool.  Would be correct to go green with edge strips in what always looks like masking tape - reflective I guess - for USAF Germany.  The other option may be all over yellow.  Thoughts anyone?

WP_20170213_23_22_38_Pro_zpsuudm4lsb.jpg  

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 6:59 PM, Scooby said:

Did you Brits actually call them tugs? I've always thought that moniker was so "Texas."

In the Canadian Airforce we call ours "mules."

Yes but we only had big ones for Brits, Belfasts,VC10s,Argosys and even Andovers. That Taskmaster was given the moniker "Pope Mobile" After the Polish Pope's trucks. They'd all those windows on what was originally an open taskmaster. David Browns were another similar type.

BTW I flew in on a RAF VC10 to Cold Lake in July ish 1982 via Goose Bay and (CFB) Namao AFB, Edmonton  to pick up a Bucc Sqn Ground crew and fly them back direct to RAF Honington , England.Interesting place. Canada's answer to our Boscombe Down. There was some kind of Research DC-3 there with a pointed nose in one of the Hangars and a USAF F-15 Sqn. It was really hot there too, Goose was -1 C  the day before at 6am !

On 2017-02-14 at 0:17 PM, bzn20 said:

Yes but we only had big ones for Brits, Belfasts,VC10s,Argosys and even Andovers. That Taskmaster was given the moniker "Pope Mobile" After the Polish Pope's trucks. They'd all those windows on what was originally an open taskmaster. David Browns were another similar type.

BTW I flew in on a RAF VC10 to Cold Lake in July ish 1982 via Goose Bay and (CFB) Namao AFB, Edmonton  to pick up a Bucc Sqn Ground crew and fly them back direct to RAF Honington , England.Interesting place. Canada's answer to our Boscombe Down. There was some kind of Research DC-3 there with a pointed nose in one of the Hangars and a USAF F-15 Sqn. It was really hot there too, Goose was -1 C  the day before at 6am !

I served both at Namao and Cold Lake. I recall the VC-10s passing through in the 80's.

The DC-3 (Dakota) is still there, it was restored just before I retired in 2007. I was involved with the restoration. It had an F-104 nose for training the pilots on the radar navigation. It was named Pinocchio.

At one time Pinocchio was stationed in France and was used for service flights. My parents flew on it in the 50s when my dad was in the RCAF. They would fly home to Scotland on leave.

I'll post pictures later, they are on my other computer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scooby said:

The DC-3 (Dakota) is still there, it was restored just before I retired in 2007. I was involved with the restoration. It had an F-104 nose for training the pilots on the radar navigation. It was named Pinocchio.

Is it this one?  I remembered seeing a C-47 with a F-104 nose on it.  Always thought it was funny to train on  something that slow!

p2099482700-3.jpg

• Like 1

On 2017-02-19 at 3:35 PM, bzn20 said:

Must be unless they built two. Thanks !

We did have three in total, the others were named "Dolly's Folly" & "Woody Woodpecker."

Woody was lost in a crash, Dolly was retired July 1, 1983.

• Like 1