First Order TIE fighter
Bandai 1/72 scale

TIEFOdoneWM.jpg
TIEFOdone3wm.jpg
TIEFOdone2wm.jpg
TIEFOdone4wm.jpg

All-in-all, I think it turned out okay. When painting this I remembered how difficult black is to pull off on a model and how annoying it can be to photograph properly. Speaking of which, I think I'm going to invest in some new photo backdrops because this felt-like one I have now pisses me off!

• Like 14

That's a fantastic looking F-O TIE, the snow base looks great. I wasn't keen on the black colouring when I first saw them in the trailers, but it's really growing on me now

only thing is though shouldn't there be a red patch on the side of the cockpit?

The red flash was on the Special Forces 2-seat TIEs

Andy

This came out great, i remember opening the box of one of these and thinking damn that is a LOT of black detail, but youve really bought it out and made it look real congrats! Did you spray the inside of the cockpit glass to get it red like that? Its looks really good and the base is cool too!

This came out great, i remember opening the box of one of these and thinking damn that is a LOT of black detail, but youve really bought it out and made it look real congrats! Did you spray the inside of the cockpit glass to get it red like that? Its looks really good and the base is cool too!

Thanks! Yes, the cockpit glazing was sprayed with Tamiya Clear Red (X-27). I was actually pretty nervous about doing that because it's something I've never attempted but I think it turned out okay.

No need to apologise, I only know from looking in the cross-sections book. Oh god, I hope I'm not turning into a SF rivet counter :(

Andy

Bandai also has a Special Forces TIE and I just got it in the mail earlier this week.

• Like 1

You've done a good job of giving that some life, difficult to do with a TIE at the best of times.

If you've had enough of the felt background, have a look on eBay for "photo background paper". It does not have a texture like normal paper so the camera tends not to focus on it. There are a range of different colours available.

I've found that the colour of the background can have a significant impact on photo quality (even when you know how to use your camera). I recommend picking up some different coloured papers and test shooting against them before deciding what background paper you want to settle on. Time well invested.

That looks excellent. May I ask what colour you painted the solar panels? I'll be starting the Special Forces TIE soon and wasn't sure what to go for. Initially I thought they were a white/light grey, but on my third viewing of the film, noticed they had a metallic sheen to them. White Aluminium perhaps?

That looks excellent. May I ask what colour you painted the solar panels? I'll be starting the Special Forces TIE soon and wasn't sure what to go for. Initially I thought they were a white/light grey, but on my third viewing of the film, noticed they had a metallic sheen to them. White Aluminium perhaps?

I used a Tamiya Flat White with a little of Sky Grey mixed into it.

Very nice work. I have a Bandai Special Forces TIE on order and I'm a bit concerned about doing an all black paint scheme without it looking like a monochromatic toy. I was thinking about how it could be painted to try and represent some depth to the individual panels with some slight weathering. Sort of what would be done if painting a stealth aircraft. There are so many shades and variations of "black". Anyone have any suggestions?

How did you do the chipped paint? Did you mask it before painting the black, or is it simple silver paint applied afterward?

No need to apologise, I only know from looking in the cross-sections book. Oh god, I hope I'm not turning into a SF rivet counter :(

Andy

i think in this case there are no rivits so the term might be plasma weld counter :book:

There are so many shades and variations of "black". Anyone have any suggestions?

How did you do the chipped paint? Did you mask it before painting the black, or is it simple silver paint applied afterward?

For this model, I first sprayed everything with Alclad Flat Aluminum and applied some Humbrol Maskol with a a piece of torn sponge in the areas I wanted the chipping. After that dried, I gave everything a coat Tamiya Rubber Black (XF-85), which is a very dark grey color. I removed the Maskol with some silly putty and then gave the entire model a drybrush with 502 Abteilung Faded Grey oil paint.

Personally, I prefer to paint black models without using black and instead use dark greys to simulate black.